Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light with New PST

Tommo200163

My first solar scope was a PST, i loved that little scope, it introduced me to solar and, even though it is sometimes tricky to use that tiny focuser i quickly learned to maximize what it could offer.

As for surface detail, granulation is not as obvious as proms and are more affected by seeing conditions as they are harder to pick out and good seeing really helps. Congratulations on the new

solar scope, i am sure you will have a blast with the PST, the little solar scope that could, as i referred to it as.

I've regularly toyed with the idea of a solar scope when finances have been good but as a very conservative person, the variation noted by some and 'issues' detailed on various sites have so far led me to avoid.

As with so much in this hobby the cost is quite significant, and with my personal disposition I'm almost fearful of disappointment... Such a shame. Maybe one day I'll have a go.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, City9Town0 said:

I've regularly toyed with the idea of a solar scope when finances have been good but as a very conservative person, the variation noted by some and 'issues' detailed on various sites have so far led me to avoid.

As with so much in this hobby the cost is quite significant, and with my personal disposition I'm almost fearful of disappointment... Such a shame. Maybe one day I'll have a go.

A solar telescope is the "Live Broadcast" of amateur astronomy.
Compared to the barely perceptible, prehistoric smudges.
Of an ancient cave art depicting anything more distant.

I blame Peter Drew for opening my eyes to the wonders of Solar H-alpha.
Sunbathing in shorts at the telescope. As you capture visible changes over a mere, few minutes.
The only light pollution is decoratively dappling the nearby shade and your chilled glass of orange juice.
Brought out to you by your long suffering, "observatory assistant" to admire your latest spots.

Instead of huddling into a thick, down jacket, gloves and balaclava. While fending off nocturnal hedgehogs.
With a [further] cooled camera struggling to keep the icicle off the end of its nose.

Those of an impoverished disposition should acquaint themselves with the secondhand market.
As have I, over the last half century. There is a sweet spot between vintage and modern.
Or, join an astro association and beg, steal or borrow a glimpse of the H-a sun at another's expense. :wink2:

• Like 2

I've had a PST for many years, I love nothing better than going out in the summer to see what our nearest star is doing. Now that the sun is starting to play again I really look forward to it. I piggyback it to the scope in the obsy and have a nice day in the garden, wonderful.....

• Like 1