Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The hardest part about astrophotography

Pryce

Man, I've been gathering my gear for about 4-5 months now and the only phito I've taken so far is a one-shot of the moon..

I've found that the hardest part is waiting.. And waiting..  and waiting....  And now that I finally have all my EQ6-R and got all the other new flashy gear properly set up, what happens? 

Well I will tell you,  clouds come rolling in again and theres no clear skies in sight.

Maan, I'm so tired of waiting. I just want to test my gear😭

• Like 3

Now look here, there’s no use you complaining because as we all know from our first day of astronomy, whenever you get some new kit the sky will be completely clouded over for at least the next 8 weeks. Sorry, but that’s just the way the universe works. Any complaints take up with the boss.

Edited by Moonshed
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

Now look here, there’s no use you complaining because as we all know from our first day of astronomy, whenever you get some new kit the sky will be completely clouded over for at least the next 8 weeks. Sorry, but that’s just the way the universe works. Any complaints take up with the boss. 

Is the effect cumulative?  Simce literally every piece of gear I have is new,  will it take like 725539 weeks before I see clear skies again?😮

Is the big bossman bribeable?  I'd really like some clear skies right about now..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pryce said:

Is the effect cumulative?  Simce literally every piece of gear I have is new,  will it take like 725539 weeks before I see clear skies again?😮

Is the big bossman bribeable?  I'd really like some clear skies right about now..

I am not sure how it works really. I have been good this year and not bought anything for months but last chance I got of clear skies was September and had to travel 260 miles South to get that.

I hope for clear skies for us both soon 🙂 

Steve

18 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I am not sure how it works really. I have been good this year and not bought anything for months but last chance I got of clear skies was September and had to travel 260 miles South to get that.

I hope for clear skies for us both soon 🙂 

Steve

You do know that it transfers via SGL thread participation as well?

As soon as you participate in a thread when someone shows off their new gear - at least of couple of cloudy days is added on your tab :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I'm only a few years into this journey. I used to think that the hardest part was the waiting... until I actually got to the frustrations of difficulties 'setting up' on the rare clear nights!!!

On a cloudy night I know that I cannot get good images... on a clear night when 'it' goes 'wrong' I used to find it incredibly frustrating and annoying. ('It' can be trips/cables/focus/guiding/power etc.etc.)

But as I'm addicted I wait for the next clear night... and when it does all 'click' and data is collected it is a joy! ... and then there is the processing! Once you have got some data many a cloudy evening can be spent processing.

Whilst fiddling and adjusting your astrophotography gear an a clear night don't forget to look up!!! I've been guilty of missing the beauty of the skies when sorting out the gear.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

As soon as you participate in a thread when someone shows off their new gear - at least of couple of cloudy days is added on your tab :D

Does that include new bolts, never mind yes I know, it does.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, City9Town0 said:

I'm only a few years into this journey. I used to think that the hardest part was the waiting... until I actually got to the frustrations of difficulties 'setting up' on the rare clear nights!!!

On a cloudy night I know that I cannot get good images... on a clear night when 'it' goes 'wrong' I used to find it incredibly frustrating and annoying. ('It' can be trips/cables/focus/guiding/power etc.etc.)

But as I'm addicted I wait for the next clear night... and when it does all 'click' and data is collected it is a joy! ... and then there is the processing! Once you have got some data many a cloudy evening can be spent processing.

Whilst fiddling and adjusting your astrophotography gear an a clear night don't forget to look up!!! I've been guilty of missing the beauty of the skies when sorting out the gear.

Never forget to wonder at the cosmos, so much we have to learn.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

That's okay vlaiv, I am far too jealous to go looking at what other members are buying 🙂 

Steve

• Haha 2

On 01/12/2020 at 20:43, Pryce said:

Man, I've been gathering my gear for about 4-5 months now and the only phito I've taken so far is a one-shot of the moon..

I've found that the hardest part is waiting.. And waiting..  and waiting....  And now that I finally have all my EQ6-R and got all the other new flashy gear properly set up, what happens? 

Well I will tell you,  clouds come rolling in again and theres no clear skies in sight.

Maan, I'm so tired of waiting. I just want to test my gear😭

i know that feeling ,it happenend to me when i first got all my gear together and the boxes came with stickers saying clouds inside 😂
But on that note the day comes when your able to get out with your new gear ,and well then the fun begins ,if all new cannt beat dry runs indoors to get it all tweaked up and working as you would like certainly helps when the day come and its clear best of luck and clear skys 😀

• Like 1

Ya see that is why folk have their gear permanently set up in observatories.... you can dodge the clouds.....  take a couple of subs, close, wait for the sky to clear, open, take a few more subs, close up again when the clouds roll back in... keeps you fit as well - who needs a gym with the british weather and an interest in astronomy :)