SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mars and Uranus

CraigT82

Haven't had much scope time recently, lost my astro-mojo a bit and weather has been terrible, but have got a couple of captures in the last month at least. 

Uranus and four moons from 15th October (couldn't quite get Miranda... too faint). Went for Mars first on this night but seeing was awful so decided to go for the ice giant. Mostly IR685nm with a little RGB for colour. 

Mars from 5th November in reasonable conditions. R(G)B.

Both images with 8.75" Fullerscope and Altair 290m.

Cheers

2020-10-15-2103_2-IR-Uranus and Moons-text.png

2020-11-05-1951_9-R-R(G)B.png

Edited by CraigT82
  • Like 24

Thank all for the kind words 👍 Really helps to build up the astro-mojo again! Just ordered a Baader ND 3.8 full aperture solar filter for the fullerscope so that'll add some variety. Never really attempted hi-res solar before.

• Like 2

Very nice captures.  I have had one of these scopes since the early 90's and visually it is still the best scope I have owned.  Even better than the C8 Edge HD and C11 I have.  Very well made and something rather special about the mirror.  I have retired it now as it was not on a driven mount (old Fuller EQ mount) but you have yours driven so may look into resurrecting.  It is a best of a scope, I would be interested to see how you have mounted yours on the mount.

Both lovely images and a great deal of detail on Mars.

Very nice!

I was "imaging" Mars at the same time. 10" Newt ASI178 Camera. At this very moment I'm stacking the best of 57000 frames.

My earlier attempt on the same data this evening was, shall we say, disappointing! There are less polite phrases that would suit better but it's a family forum.

I think what it is, is that my method, although superior, is taking more time to perfect than anticipated... 😂 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Eris said:

Very nice captures.  I have had one of these scopes since the early 90's and visually it is still the best scope I have owned.  Even better than the C8 Edge HD and C11 I have.  Very well made and something rather special about the mirror.  I have retired it now as it was not on a driven mount (old Fuller EQ mount) but you have yours driven so may look into resurrecting.  It is a best of a scope, I would be interested to see how you have mounted yours on the mount.

Both lovely images and a great deal of detail on Mars.

Thanks for the comments. Yes I agree about the visual capabilities, by far the best visual scope I've looked through (although I must admit I haven't actually looked through that many scopes). I remember the day I got it... it was clear that night and I pointed it at M42 and was floored with the view, the amount of wispy detail and structure in the neb was stunning. Just seemed like seeing something on a 4K TV after you've been watching an old CRT your while life. 

I have it mounted on an EQ6 using a long Losmandy dovetail bar and OOUK rolled alu tube rings (the old Fullerscope rings were falling apart). This setup is fine for visual and short exposure imaging but I couldn't do any deep sky imaging with it, the long plastic tube is too wobbly for that in anything stronger than a gentle breeze! A motorised focuser is essential on this scope IMO. 

20201130_102136.jpg.b2350c96180f938eb37188a13e7b97a6.jpg

Edited by CraigT82
  • Like 1