NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

TAL-2 COUNTERWEIGHT ISSUES

Mark Hardaker

Hi there knowledgable people.

I am trying to find a solution to a balancing problem with my TAL-2 eq mount.  As I’m adding more weight to the scope, I need to move the counterweight further up/down the dec axis, but can I do it? Can I hellaslike!!

Before I bought the telescope, the mount had been outside I suspect, and I cannot move the counterweight at all.  

Does anyone know how to do this?  

See pictures 

One end of the shaft screws into the dec axis with a collar; the other end looks like it should detach from the weight with a similar collar, but no amount of twisting, turning, spraying with WD40 etc. will free it up.  Can someone tell me if this is the correct approach?  Even then, I still can’t understand how the weight would slide up and down the rest of the shaft.  How is it fixed and locked in any particular position?

Any help with this would be most welcome. If someone who knows would like to contact me, via FaceTime or similar to show me how it works, i would be most grateful.

Mark

68DDF5B0-89A4-42D0-985D-F976F8061826.jpeg

4EE923C7-C906-40B7-BE14-FB4C87AC5B1B.jpeg

26204D75-13C0-4E00-B8D4-2D1492919707.jpeg

62C1779E-E4E5-4965-8454-1F6A2DF3B786.jpeg

834A00C6-CA74-44C2-B7B4-E6EBD0B13AAE.jpeg

in case you don't have it, there's a manual pdf elsewhere on the forums
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjctIeA4PPsAhWHX8AKHVobCnIQFjACegQIBBAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fstargazerslounge.com%2Fapplications%2Fcore%2Finterface%2Ffile%2Fattachment.php%3Fid%3D25114&usg=AOvVaw0c_qrwHwLbhc0KbO-Zvmvo

I'd try penetrating oil rather than WD40 given the rust is likely holding things together. I'd suggest heat using a small/fine flame blowtorch too but I can't say for sure there's nothing that might melt under the collars. Could be that the collar (pic 2) pinches metal fingers to grip the shaft but never having met one I can't say for sure, does it unscrew at all? My TAL-1 the weight screws along the shaft which is threaded all the way along its length.

• Like 1

Hi Mark, like Dave says some plus gas soaking will likely help and some gentle heat from a blow torch or paint stripper and then maybe worth investing in a strap wrench. I’d have to check but I think Dave’s right that the collar is compressing a collet type clamp onto the shaft. Wire wool will clean up the rust on the shaft without damaging the remaining plating too much.

Best of luck- it’s a fine scope! 

Mark

Normally the knurled ring next to the counterweight unscrews a bit to release a collet that locks the weight.  If it is frozen then soaking it with penetrating oil and applying heat may help break it loose. 

My TAL 2 mount fortunately has not been left outside.    Let us know how this comes out.

John
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX

Once you got it all loose, I would replace the CW bar with a stainless steel bar, so this problem will be gone for ever.
of course you can also sand down the bar until all the rust is gone and then treat it with nano technology to prevent it from happening again.