SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Glasgow Sites by Public Transport

Amy cello

Hi everyone,

I really want to get out and do some observing- it's been a long summer! 

Does anyone know of anywhere near Glasgow that you can get to by public transport that's ok for observing.

I'm not looking for super dark skies- I just want to do something.

I don't drive so mugdock, campsies etc are out of the question. Kelvingrove has been ruined by that glasglow event every winter. 

Thanks for any help!

47 minutes ago, JamesF said:

@Thalestris24 is in Glasgow and doesn't have a car as far as I recall, so she may be able to help.

James

Hi James! And @Amy cello :) 

Well I can't recommend anywhere in Glasgow really - too much LP and way too much cloud and too much water in the air... Not that I do observation anyway... However, if pushed I might recommend Ruchill Park where the flagpole is :) 

Of course, the further away from the city centre you can get, the better!

Ps I still haven't ventured out of my flat (for astro purposes) :( 

Louise

Pic from the net:

4968246_8332f4e6_original.jpg

A couple of views I took in 2012:

10150407057836061.jpg.69e76ab4b44af2650f5b2f3a7f6c3f48.jpg

10150407057896061.jpg.6d007706587b449d7cf3de0464abfaa9.jpg

Edited by Thalestris24
Add photo link

4 hours ago, Amy cello said:

Hi everyone,

I really want to get out and do some observing- it's been a long summer! 

Does anyone know of anywhere near Glasgow that you can get to by public transport that's ok for observing.

I'm not looking for super dark skies- I just want to do something.

I don't drive so mugdock, campsies etc are out of the question. Kelvingrove has been ruined by that glasglow event every winter. 

Thanks for any help!

Amy what about Balloch country park - train direct from Queen St or Central Stn underground from what I remember. I suspect relatively dark, as dark as you can get being so close to Glasgow but it also looks out onto Loch Lomond so much of the sky to the North should be pretty dark. Don't know what the park is like for security or if it closes at night so again maybe somewhere you would want to go with company.  Also need to check out time of last train home - you don't want to get stranded in Balloch :)   If you want to head south you could try Lanark  (Lanark park) - train connection from Argyle St Stn I think but you may have to change at Motherwell or Hamilton.   Strathclyde country park in Motherwell itself could be useful but being in Motherwell the light pollution would be bad/awful.

Jim 

Edited by saac

52 minutes ago, laudropb said:

I would not recommend Ruchill Park. It’s not a safe area. I fact most of Glasgow parks close at dusk as far as I am aware.

It doesn't close, AFAIK but any large green space could be a bit dodgy after dark and on ones own. I did plan to go to the flagpole to do some imaging as it's walking distance for me. However, it's still problematic for me to even carry stuff down the stairs. It's probably better to go with someone after dark. I used to do a bit of longboarding there on the pathways, down the slopes :)

Here's a YT video: 

Louise

Just  a thought you may find some useful information from this group - may even be worthwhile joining.  Their planned public events may be curtailed at the moment though due to the pandemic. but worth an enquiry perhaps.

https://www.theasg.org.uk/

ps just checked their website and their dark observing site is Mugdock Country park  - I'm not familiar with it but they say it is on the outskirts of the city. 

Jim 

Edited by saac

19 minutes ago, saac said:

Amy what about Balloch country park - train direct from Queen St or Central Stn underground from what I remember. I suspect relatively dark, as dark as you can get being so close to Glasgow but it also looks out onto Loch Lomond so much of the sky to the North should be pretty dark. Don't know what the park is like for security or if it closes at night so again maybe somewhere you would want to go with company.  Also need to check out time of last train home - you don't want to get stranded in Balloch :)   If you want to head south you could try Lanark  (Lanark park) - train connection from Argyle St Stn I think but you may have to change at Motherwell or Hamilton.   Strathclyde country park in Motherwell itself could be useful but being in Motherwell the light pollution would be bad/awful

Jim 

I suppose it depends where exactly you're travelling from and what your carrying... Of course, there are trains to/from Balloch but they aren't that frequent. You're right about not wanting to get stranded there! The station is unmanned... The other thing about Glasgow is needing to travel to somewhere at quite short notice. The weather forecasts are abysmal - often only valid for 3-4 hours ahead, if you're lucky! I don't know most of these distant parks though I've been to Bellahouston/Pollock (back in my race running days). I used to get the subway to Ibrox and walk from there though there are rail links also, I think.

Louise

Edited by Thalestris24

I always found the connection to Balloch fairly regular , part of the Clydebank/Dumbarton line .   Been a while since I have been across to the west coast so as Louise says things may have changed but here's a quick look at the train service around 1700/2100 .   If you are looking to use one of these parks I would definitely have company - carrying any equipment more than a pair of binos is going to attract attention certainly from the local youth. Most of it will be harmless but it can be off putting if you are not used to it.  Go in a small group , then head to the pub afterwards to warm up - Covid restrictions permitting :) 

Jim 

image.png.eea0be9f66d3fe352b9953acb8ad5650.png

Edited by saac

1 hour ago, Thalestris24 said:

It doesn't close, AFAIK but any large green space could be a bit dodgy after dark and on ones own. I did plan to go to the flagpole to do some imaging as it's walking distance for me. However, it's still problematic for me to even carry stuff down the stairs. It's probably better to go with someone after dark. I used to do a bit of longboarding there on the pathways, down the slopes :)

Here's a YT video: 

Louise

I worked in Ruchill hospital for about 30 years. Although the area has improved slightly since then it still can be a bit wild at night. I do not think it would be safe for a single person at night.