Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

One Day I'll Hopefully Finish It....🙃

StuartJPP

Ever since I started using my Canon 6D I have wanted to get a decent amount of data on M31, a common target but one I wanted to do "once and for all". It hasn't always been my primary target over the years but at this time of year and where I usually image from it is in a prime location.

Back in August 2017 I managed to get about 2 hours of data on it over 2 nights and this past weekend I thought to myself..."This is it, new moon, clear skies etc.". However it was not meant to be as by the time I had set up and it was dark enough on both Friday and Saturday evening the clouds started to roll in. I did manage to get some imaging done but nowhere near as much as I would have liked.

So anyway, long story short...I would still like to capture some more decent quality subs on M31 to finally finish it off...when that will happen is unknown to me. Luckily I still have no intention of changing gear so it may be another decade before it is done.

Baader modified Canon 6D
Canon 500mm f/4 L IS @ f/4
Avalon Instruments M-Zero
APT for image acquisition, plate solving and dithering
PHD2 for guiding using QHY5L-II-M and QHY miniGuideScope
DIY PoleMaster for polar alignment
SQM value of 20.88

A total of 87x 5 minute subs at ISO800 of various quality (26th August 2017 and 18th & 19th of September 2020).

Combined4.thumb.jpg.b8557f3000ead18150fd20d9daa54dbc.jpg

Thanks for looking.........

• Like 31

10 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

That looks finished to me, it's beautiful. 

How much deeper do you want to go?

Thank you...

It is probably deep enough but the quality of the subs is not great. If I had the same integration time but with decent subs I'd probably call it a day. As it stands I threw a lot away and I also used a lot that I normally wouldn't have. Six to eight hours of good quality subs is probably where I'd like to be, at which point there would be almost no noise reduction of any sort required.

• 2 months later...