Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

11mm nagler

bish

Hello all,

I used to have an 11mm nag which I used a lot but had to sell. I am looking for something similar. I was thinking of trying a 13mm nag, but from what I remember of past discussions there are cheaper alternatives that are quite  close in performance.  It would just be for my 250px. I intend to make the most of dark sky visits so do want high end performance. Ethos are out of my price range!

Thanks

46 minutes ago, johnturley said:

The Explore Scientific 82 degree series are almost as good, and less than half the price, also ES still do an 11 mm one, which Tele Vue have discontinued.

John 

Thanks John, that sounds ideal.

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

The original T1 11mm or the T6 11mm?  The former was very rare because it was quickly discontinued due to poor sales.

I assume it was  T6. Bought it new about 10 years ago.

The T6 is a lovely little eyepiece, very compact and capable. Steve did a review of one he won in a competition here:

Very different in terms of form factor, and having a wider afov there is the APM 13mm 100 degree which gets good reviews. I’ve had a couple of the 20mm and like them a lot, a fair bit cheaper than the Televue equivalents.

https://www.astroshop.eu/eyepieces/apm-eyepiece-hdc-xwa-13mm-100d-2-1-25-/p,60234

• Like 1

How about a Baader Morpheus 12.5mm?

Beautiful wide angle eyepiece (76 degrees but much better eye relief than the T6 13mm (which was one of the few Tele Vue EPs I've owned, and a very good one).

The Morpheus 12.5mm would be around £190 new, or c £120 or so used. Think Pentax XW or TV Delos optical quality.

HTH,

Dave

• Like 1

I owned all the Nagler T6's at one time, except the 11mm !

In fact I don't think I've owned an 11mm eyepiece for around 20 years for some reason :icon_scratch:

I expect the ES 11mm 82 is a pretty decent eyepiece and close to Nagler performance.

13 hours ago, F15Rules said:

How about a Baader Morpheus 12.5mm?

Beautiful wide angle eyepiece (76 degrees but much better eye relief than the T6 13mm (which was one of the few Tele Vue EPs I've owned, and a very good one).

The Morpheus 12.5mm would be around £190 new, or c £120 or so used. Think Pentax XW or TV Delos optical quality.

HTH,

Dave

Thanks Dave,  I will check them out. Extra eye relief is a bonus for me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, John said:

I owned all the Nagler T6's at one time, except the 11mm !

In fact I don't think I've owned an 11mm eyepiece for around 20 years for some reason :icon_scratch:

I expect the ES 11mm 82 is a pretty decent eyepiece and close to Nagler performance.

Good excuse to order yourself a shiny new 11mm? I have mainly been using meade hd 60"s which are not bad but a bit over priced I think.

34 minutes ago, bish said:

Good excuse to order yourself a shiny new 11mm? I have mainly been using meade hd 60"s which are not bad but a bit over priced I think.

I can't really justify it, unfortunately :rolleyes2:.

I have the Delos 14mm, the Ethos 13mm, the Pentax XW 10mm and the Ethos 8mm. And a zoom which covers 7.2mm - 21.5mm for good measure.

They are the ONLY reasons that I've not bought a Tele Vue 11mm Apollo of course :grin:

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/tele-vue-apollo-11-special-edition-eyepiece.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, John said:

I have the Delos 14mm, the Ethos 13mm, the Pentax XW 10mm and the Ethos 8mm. And a zoom which covers 7.2mm - 21.5mm for good measure.

They are the ONLY reasons that I've not bought a Tele Vue 11mm Apollo of course :grin:

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/tele-vue-apollo-11-special-edition-eyepiece.html

I forgot the apollo 11. My wife would throw me and my scope out!!

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, John said:

Quite so, John 🙂

Do we know anyone on SGL that has bought one?

On 20/08/2020 at 10:42, JeremyS said:

Do we know anyone on SGL that has bought one?

I’m the proud owner of two TeleVue 11mm Apollo eyepieces.  I used them last night in a TeleVue binoview, absolute stunning and sorry to mention that they are indeed worth every penny.  So grab ‘em while you can........

unfortunately, following immediately after the stunning views, I woke up from my lovely dream.......

Ed 🙃

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, NGC 1502 said:

I’m the proud owner of two TeleVue 11mm Apollo eyepieces.  I used them last night in a TeleVue binoview, absolute stunning and sorry to mention that they are indeed worth every penny.  So grab ‘em while you can........

unfortunately, following immediately after the stunning views, I woke up from my lovely dream.......

Ed 🙃

Ha! Good one Ed, had me going for a minute there! 🤣

3 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

Ed 🙃

That's a corker, Ed! You also had me going too 🤣