Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Setting up mount and computer for guiding, software etc.

23 minutes ago, dark knight said:

Srry if this complicates things for you, I have replaced my mount to pc cable with a wireless Bluetooth module ,https://www.dewcontrol.com/Wireless_/cat3099126_2678521.aspx.  it comes in 2 parts, one piece replaces the hand controller and cable, it plugs directly into the mount, the other dongle just plugs into a USB on the laptop, works like a dream. I then use eqmod and stellarium for targets. My guide cam connects directly to laptop and runs through phd2. This works really well and means one less cable to worry about. Don't give up, you will get it sorted, check all settings in the software you are using.

Thanks mate, I will look into that 👍

35 minutes ago, Rustang said:

I've had a quick go, did what you said Steve and still no movement what so ever, however having ago in EQASCOM today I can move all directions now by using the manual controls on that interface so that's somehow working!! When the new ST4 cable arrives I will try that later. 

Well that's something.

When you say no movement if you are in sidereal tracking then the Ra motor should be moving without PHD2 even running or having any interaction with the manual  guide buttons. It should rotate about 1 rev in 60 seconds or so in an anticlockwise direction. Are you saying it is totally still?

If so then you did not select sidereal tracking first which if my theory about the firmware is right it will not do anything when you use manual guide.

Also when you press any of the manual guide buttons do you see any text appear bottom RH of PHD screen ? If it does can you get a screen shot of it or write down what it says it should be there for 5 seconds or so.

image.thumb.png.391b2154a57cc3758a946a6d94023c2b.png

Steve

20 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

If you are connected to a pc lose the st4 and hand controller buy a fdti chipset type eqdirect cable such a lynx Astro cable from flo , honestly your just complicating everything for yourself 👍 .

That was suggested early on but the OP wanted to keep the handset plugged in which is why he wanted to stick with the ST-4 cable.

Now the last few posts suggests he may have done the mod to be able to plug it into the handset instead of the mount itself and use both handset and computer.

That being the case then yes he can forget the ST4 cable and use EQASCOM an pulse guiding.

Steve

Hi guys, Steve - yes it was in sidereal so RA was slowly moving round but no extra movement in anyway when any of the directions pressed the way you stated to try. The txt does appear at the bottom, I believe it reads the same as the picture you posted before. 

Ah good. With the guiderate at 0.5 it is very (very) difficult to see any change (although I suspect you are right) but can you change the guiderate using the handset to 1 (or higher if you can - on my old version 1 is maximum but I think on newer versions may be able to go to 2).

At 1 it actually stops rotating when you press west and if you keep pressing west it is pretty easy to see it stops (even though it may move very slightly between presses). At 2 if that is possible it should go the other way.

If that fails then something is wrong. But do not give up if the new st4 cable is the same I think you just ditch it and use proper pulse guiding via EASCOM if you now have that working.

Steve

No luck with the new ST4 cable so what ever the issue is we may never know. So it seems I'm going to have to go even further  into the deep end then and lose my comfort blanket, the handset! I have downloaded APT to take on what the hand controller did and will just have to try it and see. In the photo below, can anyone see anything I need to add or change. And any other settings extra I need to know? I will be honest, I've spent so much brain power on this that I'm getting lazy at looking anything else up right now! I will do though. PHD2 also now gives me the option to choose my mount now EQASCOM is sorted. 

IMG_20200824_133301.jpg

3 hours ago, dark knight said:

Just a thought, in eqascom is the mount showing as "PARKED",  may need to unpark it before sidereal rate is engaged

I've not tried sidereal in EQASCOM as I've been setting on the handset while trying to get the st4 way sorted. How do you do it with EQASCOM? The fact I can move the mount now with eqascom probably means I don't need to test it now though! 

6 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Make sure you are not parked then click the button ringed in red

image.png.0a96f6a097f7b127631f18067015e6ad.png

OK cool. So to confirm, I have sorted EQASCOM and PHD2 and Apt, should that be all I need know to guide? I can pola align as normal through the mounts pola scope, with APT I'm guessing I can star align and send the mount off to track my chosen target? Once locked on and tracking I can start PHD2 to help guide the scope? 

Edited by Rustang

Basically yes. In APT you can Platesolve which will revolutionize your imaging and  star aligning will be a thing of the past but suggest we leave this for another day. Its not hard in fact once setup its just a matter of take a short exposute, platesolve it and the mount will then correct any error in position and go to the correct position in the sky.

Steve

Cool,i can now here an see movement in the mount via EQASCOM and using the manual controls in PHD2 while being in Sidereal for DEC, it sounds like a tiny R2D2 making tiny little random beeping noises while making the correction and i can see my marker moving round slowly on the cog. I'm still not sure about RA, it might be moving but very very small, it definitely doesn't stop when pressing West! but sod it lets just carry on! When I'm guiding shall i change back the guide speed to 0.5?

Guys, especially Steve, I really appreciate all of your help again, a testament to this forum, nice one guys 👍

Edited by Rustang

I've only got an EQM-35 Pro but I'm sure the SynScan handset is the same. When I got the mount (just under a year ago) my intention was to use the ST4 method for guiding but after the first attempt I gave up. In advance of purchasing the mount I had purchased a USB to RS232 converter to allow connection from my PC to the handset but when the mount was delivered, it turned out that the handset was the latest version with a USB interface so the converter wasn't required.

After downloading the handset ASCOM driver from the Skywatcher web site, I now use PHD2 with the PC connected to the guide camera and to the handset (NOT using the PC Direct mode) via a USB hub. It all works fine (and no third level of software to add any additional problems). I can also control the mount from C2A but normally just use the handset for pointing/slewing.

If you have the older handset with the RS232 interface, it should have come with a RS232 lead for the handset so you would just need a USB to RS232 converter (FDTI types are suitable).

Hope you get things up and running soon!

6 minutes ago, Seelive said:

I've only got an EQM-35 Pro but I'm sure the SynScan handset is the same. When I got the mount (just under a year ago) my intention was to use the ST4 method for guiding but after the first attempt I gave up. In advance of purchasing the mount I had purchased a USB to RS232 converter to allow connection from my PC to the handset but when the mount was delivered, it turned out that the handset was the latest version with a USB interface so the converter wasn't required.

After downloading the handset ASCOM driver from the Skywatcher web site, I now use PHD2 with the PC connected to the guide camera and to the handset (NOT using the PC Direct mode) via a USB hub. It all works fine (and no third level of software to add any additional problems). I can also control the mount from C2A but normally just use the handset for pointing/slewing.

If you have the older handset with the RS232 interface, it should have come with a RS232 lead for the handset so you would just need a USB to RS232 converter (FDTI types are suitable).

Hope you get things up and running soon!

Thanks mate, unfortunately I have tried that and I get a connection error! When Put the hand set back into PC mode it works again! Thanks for the suggestion though!

Just to add, I know I couldn't see or hear anything for RA when trying manual controls, well i have just noticed that when moving in DEC you can see the numbers change in the 'Mount Position' panel in ASCOM, so should I also see the numbers change for RA when trying the manual controls because that would surely mean there's still an issue not just me not seeing or hearing anything!?

43 minutes ago, Rustang said:

Just to add, I know I couldn't see or hear anything for RA when trying manual controls, well i have just noticed that when moving in DEC you can see the numbers change in the 'Mount Position' panel in ASCOM, so should I also see the numbers change for RA when trying the manual controls because that would surely mean there's still an issue not just me not seeing or hearing anything!?

I have put it all away now so can't check at moment but I am pretty sure you don't see them change in Ra because they are in Hrs, Min, Secs and so changing all the time as the earth rotates unless you are in tracking mode then the mount is moving to keep up with the earths rotation. I think they have made PHD2 corrections ignored by Ra position because they are corrections to a wrong position not actual adjusting the position it thinks it is.

I think that is right but I could be talking out of my backside so some confirmation from some other member would help.

Steve

Just now, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I have put it all away now so can't check at moment but I am pretty sure you don't see them change in Ra because they are in Hrs, Min, Secs and so changing all the time as the earth rotates unless you are in tracking mode then the mount is moving to keep up with the earths rotation. I think they have made PHD2 corrections ignored by Ra position because they are corrections to a wrong position not actual adjusting the position it thinks it is.

I think that is right but I could be talking out of my backside so some confirmation from some other member would help.

Steve

Ok, I wont worry for now, I have plenty of other reading to get my head around anyway 😫😄

3 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Basically yes. In APT you can Platesolve which will revolutionize your imaging and  star aligning will be a thing of the past but suggest we leave this for another day. Its not hard in fact once setup its just a matter of take a short exposute, platesolve it and the mount will then correct any error in position and go to the correct position in the sky.

Steve

Well while I'm now in the deep end I might aswell learn how to swim a bit quicker! Ive gone through the tutorial that David on here did back in April last year on how to set up Platesolving in APT. Everything seems to have gone well with installing and setting everything up so I just need to run some tests! Onwards and upwards (and slightly sideways sometimes!)

• Like 1

Your getting there, once you get the hang of it  all becomes second nature, just remember we have all been where you are, the frustration of equipment and compatibility when setting up can be so frustrating. Just remember we are all here for each other to help, SGL will get you there, never be afraid to ask for help.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, dark knight said:

Your getting there, once you get the hang of it  all becomes second nature, just remember we have all been where you are, the frustration of equipment and compatibility when setting up can be so frustrating. Just remember we are all here for each other to help, SGL will get you there, never be afraid to ask for help.

100% mate, everyone has been awesome 👍

I'm slowly getting things together and tickling along ok getting everything prepared for when I can get out to give all of this a run through under the stars. Ive hit another snag in regards to plate solving as its not working with test image from one of my sessions (raw canon file) I have tried reading online to find out why but nothing seems to be appearing that Ive obviously done wrong but Plate solving with a test image in APT isant working and why doesnt ASPS recognize a my canon raw file to try directly in that application!? I'm doing this with no equipment connected to the computer which im guessing is ok!? All file paths I believe are ok and camera settings in tools are correct. 

IMG_20200826_170533.jpg

IMG_20200826_170500.jpg

IMG_20200826_170454.jpg

Edited by Rustang

On 24/08/2020 at 18:08, Rustang said:

Well while I'm now in the deep end I might aswell learn how to swim a bit quicker! Ive gone through the tutorial that David on here did back in April last year on how to set up Platesolving in APT. Everything seems to have gone well with installing and setting everything up so I just need to run some tests! Onwards and upwards (and slightly sideways sometimes!)

That guide is a little out of date now. APT now supports ASTAP for both blind and near platesolving. I found it much easier to set up and *dramatically* quicker and more reliable than the other much older platesolving software choices. 

(In fact I never got ASPS working and used to just have to rely on near-platesolving with PS2 until ASTAP came along.)

Give it a go - https://astrophotography.app/usersguide/pointcraft_and_plate_solving.htm

HTH

Ady

• Like 1