Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Setting up mount and computer for guiding, software etc.

So I have the time today to finally look at doing a dummy run to get my auto guiding equipment up and running, let the headache begin! 😄 I'm currently looking through the web but thought i would start this thread to help clarify some things

Equipment:

Mount: SW HEQ5 PRO

Guide camera: ZWOASI120MC

Software: I have decided to start with PHD2

After watching a recommended video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt0luBLaHDw&feature=youtu.be

The video states its best not to use the ST4 cable but to have the guide cam connected to the computer and the same for the mount, it then states that ASCOM will work with PHDS to guide. What's Ascom?, I had never herd of it, I still dont really know what it is but I have downloaded it!. It also says to download the driver for my mount?. If someone could give my a guide for dummies to get this set up working that would be great. Some other questions. There is the hand controller socket and the ST4 auto guide socket on the mount, I'm guessing then that I will plug the guide cam into the guide ST4 Socket but what socket goes from the mount to the computer!? I still need the hand controller to star align and bring me onto the target so there is no other spare socket! ? Is it just easier to start by using the "not recommended" ST4 cable from the guide camera straight into the mount!? I'm mainly asking for help again because my brain can be incredibly slow to understand software etc sometimes so for me its easier to ask you experts for a clear and simple answer.

Edited by Rustang

Is your mount the newer one with a USB socket ?

If not then it looks like you have to connect to the computer from the handset, socket is at the bottom.

ASCOM is a system that works on Windows computers that allows you to communicate with devices. You will need to download ASCOM drivers for your mount, camera, guide cam and anything else that will be computer controlled.

21 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Is your mount the newer one with a USB socket ?

If not then it looks like you have to connect to the computer from the handset, socket is at the bottom.

ASCOM is a system that works on Windows computers that allows you to communicate with devices. You will need to download ASCOM drivers for your mount, camera, guide cam and anything else that will be computer controlled.

Older version so into one of these - see picture!? So once ive downloaded all of the drivers they should in theory, happily chat to one another!?

Regards 

Russ

IMG_20200817_153456.jpg

Edited by Rustang

I think you need the EQDIR cable to connect to your computer.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

Also I think you need to download the ASCOM platform.

https://ascom-standards.org

Not 100% sure as I run a MAC and use KStars/Ekos for control.

Edited by MarkAR

Looks like I was given one of them when I brought the mount, so if I take out the left socket from the controller that goes into the mount and put in that cable, that goes into the computer then, when I start up to do my normal set up, star alignment and send off to what ever I'm imaging, will that all still be done via the hand set or PHD2 as the hand set will obviously be no longer plugged straight into the mount!? Ive got comfortable setting up with the handset so I'm not sure I'm comfortable coming away from that on top of getting my head around the software to control guiding if you see what I mean. 

IMG_20200817_154914.jpg

Edited by Rustang

26 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Might be that the cable goes directly to the mount making the handset redundant.

I was hoping this was going to be fairly straight forward! 😞 Should have taken up badminton or something else simple lol.

• Haha 2

I can confirm the cable goes from computer directly to mount. In the end I never even connected the handset to the mount. I did find using a joystick (like on a playstation) was helpful for manually slewing the mount but not necessary and would not go there yet till you are okay with other things.

I never tried it but didn't think it worked plugging into the handset, but could be wrong.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang

4 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Just looked at my handset manual and the right hand port is a 6-pin RJ12 that connects to computer. The cable you have looks like the correct 6-pin.

The EQ cable has the same fitting as the one that's currently connecting the handset to the mount so will not fit into the middle socket on the handset.

16 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I can confirm the cable goes from computer directly to mount. In the end I never even connected the handset to the mount. I did find using a joystick (like on a playstation) was helpful for manually slewing the mount but not necessary and would not go there yet till you are okay with other things.

I never tried it but didn't think it worked plugging into the handset, but could be wrong.

Steve

Without the controller,how do you set up the mount then, type in coordinates, pola align, star align etc!?

10 minutes ago, Rustang said:

Without the controller,how do you set up the mount then, type in coordinates, pola align, star align etc!?

Use a program like Astro Photography Tool (APT) to control the mount. (Stellarium / Cartes du Ciel can also be used)

I like using APT https://www.astrophotography.app/ as I can control my camera, plate-solve images etc. Plate-solving means there is no need to star align, although when going to an initial bright star to focus effectively does the same thing, as you sync the mount to the software once you've got the star used for focusing centred in the APT live view.

For polar alignment, you'd use the polar scope - though for this I've opted to fit an iPolar, which makes that a lot simpler.

Nowadays I only use the Handset control for visual use & don't bother guiding then!

Cheers
Ivor

• Like 1

Ok I see, so if I was to go down this route, I would have the USB cable running from the guide camera to the computer then where do I put the other cable that goes from the mount to the computer, i. e does it go into the hand controller socket on the mount or the ST4 Auto guide socket!? So is there no way to guide by doing my normal set up then have an auto guide running as well!? 

So I've now got this far, I've got the drivers for the guide scope and PHD2 can see the camera now. I have installed the only driver that seems to be there for my mount (see image) but when PHD2 gives me the list of mounts to connect to, nothing along the lines of skywatcher appears apart from skywatcher telescope. So if I've downloaded a driver for the sky scan hand set I'm guessing then the cable would have to come out of the outset and not the mount!!? 

IMG_20200817_174955.jpg

IMG_20200817_175731.jpg

IMG_20200817_175459.jpg

2 hours ago, Rustang said:

With the computer.

I just thought that if you go through the trouble of using a computer I would imagine you would load up ASCOM and other software such as APT (for example lots of others) and planetarium software such as Stellarium (also others available).

All this is then done through APT (although behind the scenes all this is done in ASCOM so all equipment uses same information but some like Stellarium may require you to enter it there as well). Once setup you can then click on a star, DSO, planet etc in Stellarium and the scope goes there. If off target then you can platesolve or manually star align and correct any errors. PHD2 will then work automatically without you having to do anything.

Not sure if that is the usual way but that is how I never used my handset with my HEQ5.

Sorry I haven't explained how to do this but there are loads of tutorials out there how to do this.

Steve

Sorry TBH I never read the thread from start just saw the questions about where to plug the mount Hitecastro cable.

All I can say is that in my case it went from a usb port on computer direct to mount and used it perfectly well for AP with PHD2 guiding.

Reading the OP I am not 100% what you are trying to do.

I assume if using PHD2 then you are using it for Imaging but do not mention what software you are already using for this.

Steve

Sorry guys, its probably me not explaining things properly. All I'm after doing is getting my set up ready to guide, I have the mount, guide cam and guide scope, and have downloaded the PHD2 software, its just putting it all together properly to read each other through what every cables i need. As said, the mount is the older HEQ5 Pro with the SynScan hand set. It seems the drivers that Ive downloaded for the guide cam have allowed PHD2 to read the camera but that is as far as I have got. I'm still unsure what cables need to go where to get everything up and running. If I have to lose the Synscan hand controller then so be it. Below are the 3 different cables I have and there's one more but that's the one the goes from the guide camera to the computer. So what devices/sockets do they need to go to and from!? Is PHD2 going to be useable with what equipment I have? 

IMG_20200817_222213.jpg

IMG_20200817_222132.jpg

IMG_20200817_222026.jpg

Edited by Rustang