Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Luna Cognita - Has It Disapointed?

johninderby

Bought the Luna Cognita bookset a few months ago and was wondering how much others are referring to it. Is it proving to be a great refference or does it just sit on the shelf?

I’m finding it can be useful but not exactly a quick reference work. Perhaps a bit too much in depth for a quick answer? 🤔

D8D4B1E9-9AAA-4897-85FD-23101FC4226F.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Bought the Luna Cognita bookset a few months ago and was wondering how much others are referring to it. Is it proving to be a great reference or does it just sit on the shelf?

I’m finding it can be useful but not exactly a quick reference work. Perhaps a bit too much in depth for a quick answer? 🤔

Maybe you could do a flash card version?🤔😂

I suspect it being in 3 volumes might have been a bit of a giveaway .

Regards Andrew

• Haha 2

That’s what I’m interested in finding out. Has it lived up to expectations or has it disapointed? 🤔

Undoubtedly loads of information but it could be more acceesable.

Have changed the title of the thread.

Edited by johninderby

20 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Undoubtedly loads of information but it could be more acceesable.

Interesting thread @johninderby I have to agree, I find it challenging at times when looking things up or referencing stuff.  A staggering amount of knowledge without doubt and when I do reference them I get lost (in a good way) reading surrounding sections/pages... but it's not used as often as some of my quick reference lunar books.

as @andrew s mentioned, it was clear this wasn't quick reference on purchase 😁

Edited by geeklee

@johninderby an interesting question as I bought a copy following everyone's postings earlier this year.

I have tried hard but its too historical and too much depth for my poor little brain to be honest.
If the volumes were History, Features, Additional info that would work well, but its just not.
To me it feels like the author was bunging everything in to make it 3 volumes.

I am normally bookish and patient, this book has pushed me beyond the point of acceptance,
a great shame as it has oodles of good information, but too in depth for me.

Sorry if that's a spoiler for some, I am presently pondering if I sell it on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's full of fascinating info, and over the lockdown period I've enjoyed browsing its pages. However, it isn't quite what I'd expected, and like others, I find it difficult to use as a reference source. It's probably full of the info I may be looking for but I just can't find it easily, so I don't bother. It's an impressive volume set though, so it's worth keeping on show in the book case as it makes me look more intelligent than I actually am. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I see a common theme emerging from the various posts here. Great amount of information but not easy to use as the reference work it is supposed to be.

I expected it to be a serious reference work so no surprises but would be much better if it was easier to use. 🤔.

Edited by johninderby

50 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Thanks for the spoiler, guys 😂. Got mine on order.....

Looks like I might be able pick up an as new copy at a good price soon.😊

Regards Andrew 

PS @johninderby seriously I would be interested in an excellent condition copy..

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, andrew s said:

Regards Andrew 

PS @johninderby seriously I would be interested in an excellent condition copy..

Andrew, perhaps I should have mine sent directly to you. Cut out the middle man 🙂 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

It's full of fascinating info, and over the lockdown period I've enjoyed browsing its pages. However, it isn't quite what I'd expected, and like others, I find it difficult to use as a reference source. It's probably full of the info I may be looking for but I just can't find it easily, so I don't bother. It's an impressive volume set though, so it's worth keeping on show in the book case as it makes me look more intelligent than I actually am. 

Calling @paulastro, Calling @paulastro, golden opportunity awaits for comment 😂

Sorry could not resist Mike 😘

Edited by Alan White
  • Haha 3

If you have read any of Garfinkle’s other books this is very much his style of writing. I have his book on star hopping and I like the maps etc but often the dialogue goes of into minutiae about how the ancient Sumerian’s depicted the constellation etc. Interesting but when it is overdone it distracts from the purpose. The main difficulty in finding references is the strange page numbering system used. I bought it because every review I read of the books was fulsome in their praise.

Edited by laudropb
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, andrew s said:

32 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Andrew, perhaps I should have mine sent directly to you. Cut out the middle man 🙂 

So, I thought that with all this sadness there may be some on ebay , ,

there is , , one ! , ,

new for £85.23

Ha !!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Perhaps the mods should move this thread to the Sales section?  😁😁😁

Naaa, why give a mod first divvy ?   diy,  but before you do, how does £30 sound ? hahahahah well they say 50%-60% dont they, , , and I squeek ;)

🤣

nofences,  just chuckling :)

• Like 1

Eeeek indeed ! Drat I was just about to up my offer to £31, but no,,, you'd best keep yours for your heirs&successors !

But back to topic,  to be fair to Mr Garfinkle, cognita is the female adjective for knowledge (and lets not go to far down that road!) not for reference :)

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Calling @paulastro, Calling @paulastro, golden opportunity awaits for comment 😂

Sorry could not resist Mike 😘

I can't see me selling mine as its full of great info. I just need to be in the right frame of mind, which these days is getting even more difficult, as I seem to fall asleep within minutes of starting to read any book. 😴

• Like 2