Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Contin Filter DS

Solar B

17 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I was speaking to veteran observer Alan Heath the other day. He regularly sees granulation in his >80 year old 3-inch Broadhurst Clarkson refractor.

wow, maybe I should have stated as general rule of thumb. Would that refractor be a high F ratio or don't you know? I have never heard of that one if I am honest.

Steve

1 hour ago, bomberbaz said:

wow, maybe I should have stated as general rule of thumb. Would that refractor be a high F ratio or don't you know? I have never heard of that one if I am honest.

Steve

Not sure its f-ratio Steve. I suspect at least f/15.

He says easier to see it in the 3-inch than in his C8. 

Edited by JeremyS

Definitely possible in smaller scopes. TV85 would show it nicely as would an ED80. I’m sure the Scopetech 80mm f15 should do, just need to give it another go most likely. Focus was an issue (not enough inwards focus with my Orthos which do focus further in than others. Perhaps I’ll try barlowing a longer focal length on and see if that works. Can’t chop bits off FLOs lovely scope like John did with his! 😱😱

• Haha 2

Got a message from the place I had ordered the “in stock” DS continuum filter this morning. Sorry but we don’t actually have that item in stock but expect to have it back in stock in about a months time.

Now to try and find another one at a decent price. 🙁

Edited by johninderby

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

Got a message from the place I had ordered the “in stock” DS continuum filter this morning. Sorry but we don’t actually have that item in stock but expect to have it back in stock in about a months time.

Now to try and find another one at a decent price. 🙁

John I would place a wanted ad for one ...

one did come up for sale a couple of yrs 

ago on UKABS.

Brian 

22 hours ago, Stu said:

The Telementor is 63mm, and the Scopetech 80mm. I was surprised at how little I could see compared with the Tak, although I know my Tak setup is about as good as it gets in a 4”.

One of my astro club questioned a Solar comment I made a while back, he was using an 80mm and myself using a 103mm,
clearly aperture of even a modest step plays a notable part here. 

• 1 month later...

Was wondering if anyone had any updates as to the effectiveness of the DS continuum filter? 🤔

Haven’t bought one of the DS filters yet and a bit undecided as to if it is gping to be worth it.

Edited by johninderby

Hi John,

I've used my Cool Ceramic wedge with the built in continuum filter then a second one on the nosepiece of the eyepiece.

I've not done a detailed comparison but it does darken the image more and might add a bit of extra contrast, but not in a blow your socks off kind of way.

A small incremental improvement I would say.

I did mean to do a proper comparison when we see had some sunspots recently but I got caught up in the moment and kept forgetting.

Ade

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Thanks for that. 👍🏻

Makes me wonder if using a single continuum filter along with a polarising filter would be as effective as the DS filter? 

That is one of the comparisons I was fully intending to make, hopefully we'll get some more white light action soon.