SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Big disapointment skywatcher AZ GTi

Johannes

I bought a skywatcher AZ GTi with mount right from the start could not get it to work. Followed the manual. Alignment successful . I used my phone with the WiFi  tried to find an object but could not see it in my 73mm scope thinking I did it wrong I bought a handset and lead for £167 still did not work. I uploaded the latest version for the hand set alignment was still not right. Then bought a crosshair recital for £56 hoping I would get it right and be able to see it in the scope. lost interest in it now WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE LOAD OF RUBBISH.

Maybe @Johannes if you answer the peeps responding to your questions in your previous post

regarding this mount you may be nearer to solving your issues your having , yes it can be frustrating but peeps will help you ,work through the questions and you may just resolve all your issues . 

Regards Dave 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

nothing wrong with the mount, mine works perfectly with excellent accuracy and gets a lot of use. Think your presumption of it being rubbish are premature.

One of the biggest problems with accuracy is time settings. What time does your phone say, check that. Twice I have come to the help of members who had daylight saving for UK not set.

Next two stars that are not too close together, Spica and Deneb or Vega would work well. 

Having the mount properly level does help but it isn't critical.

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Like 1

To check alignment accuracy don't use DSO's use bright stars like Vega etc.  Practice on these first. Once you can slew to these first time every time then go for globular clusters as they are easier to identify.  Stay cool. Check and recheck settings if its not doing what it should.

• Like 1

It has been mentioned on here quite often that these mounts have been very hit and miss with regards to their reliability, and if problems occur then they should be returned to the supplier for replacement.

Hoping to fix something that quite probably isn't broken, you throw an extra £167 at it buying a handset, when the mount is designed with WiFi in mind. The handset is an optional luxury, not a fix for anything other than the Wifi going poof.

Some users have problems with these mounts. My first unit developed a tick sound whilst tracking. There is a fix on the forums, but it was still under warranty.

The first problem I encountered involved some head scratching. The mount would not slew to the correct objects after alignment. Then I realised, after changing phones, and reinstalling the Synscan app, I had forgotten to give the app location usage permission. Fixed. Initially I thought the mount was broken, but it was a silly, yet vital error!

People have tried to help in the previous thread, and you haven't responded, yet find time to complain. Maybe instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, try replying to the people offering to help in your first thread?

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
Grammar
  • Like 9

I had one I had to return because it would not broadcast the right Wi-fi network and my phone couldn’t connect. The replacement works perfectly. I have noticed that if your scope is near the upper end of its payload then balancing is important to that will affect tracking. 

• Like 1

Had to return my first AZ-Gti after it stopped working  when just on batteries, would only work with  an external power source. The internal switch that cuts the battery circuit when an external source is pluged in  was probably stuck permanently on. A pity because otherwise it worked fine. The  new replacement unit's az axis  is very stiff and doesn't seems to be as accurate in goto  as the original , but point & tracks ok. Perhaps quality control on these SW mounts not so hot?? I use a Heritage 130p on it, still within it's weight capabilities but perhaps very near the limit...

• 3 months later...

These are frustrating mounts. My first developed the tapping while tracking & the replacement had the very stiff binding issue on azimuth. The third had tapping straight out of the box, which mysteriously disappeared after three sessions!

As much as this is a light weight grab & go mount, preparation is just as important as using any other goto equipment.

My gotos and tracking have improved by following a strict setup regime:

1. As close to perfectly level tripod as possible.

2. Add the finder and an eyepiece to the OTA, then balance the telescope on the mount.

3. A compass to point the telescope north and ensure the scope is level. Standing back so the compass isn't affected by the metal telescope tube, mount & tripod. Tighten the clutches incrementally, just enough to prevent the mount moving manually.

4. Using north level alignment, follow the rules regarding star choice; 90° apart in azimuth & altitude difference between stars up to approximately 15°.

Whether using north level alignment or not, still follow the same rules to 4.

If using a narrow field instrument like a Maksutov, use a 6x30 finder rather than a pointer.

Start with a wide angle eyepiece, for example a 25mm 60° or 30mm plossl. Before accepting an alignment, swap to a shorter focal length eyepiece. I tend to use a 12mm 60° BST. Recentre in that eyepiece and accept. Repeat with further alignment stars.

Likewise for gotos, before confirming acquisition, centre the object in a shorter focal length eyepiece as above.

Finish each goto with Right and Up commands.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 3