Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3D Printing Question

silentrunning

What's the best printing material for this short of thing with relatively fine pitch threads? The bloke around the corner is going to print this one using a resin printer, is that necessary or desirable. Only ask as I'm sure there are going to be multiple iterations of this. Is it better to get prototypes done with the usual stuff and get the final cut done with resin?

3 minutes ago, Gina said:

My understanding is that resin is better for fine detail but more expensive.

Thanks Gina.

Yes this chap seems like a really good bloke. He said the resin is better for fine detail and usual charges £10 a time but he will do these at £5 as he reckons their will be a few iterations - and he's almost certainly right there.

• Like 1

I know that jewellers use a type of resin for printing jewellery for casting, what I remember is that it is harder and can be brittle. That would depend on the thickness of the material. You'll get better detail though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Instead of 'wasting' resin, try & print in PLA to ensure the correct fit\spacing, & then print in resin when happy....

Thanks Julian, first one is underway in resin but i'll mention that if I have multiple iterations. The problem will be with the thread so I'll make a cut down with just maybe 5mm of thread to test until it's right and can be recombined with the bracket.

14 minutes ago, silentrunning said:

This has sent me down something of a rabbit hole....

I think it's fair to suggest that you may well have got the hang of FreeCAD now :)

James

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, silentrunning said:

Never done any CAD or thready things before, head fills like it's about to explode! 🙂

That's very impressive.  Can you recommend a tutorial on threads in FreeCad?

Noel

• Like 1

Success, the second thread modelled on the ISO standard is as good a fit if not better than the adaptor i'm modifying! 

Sadly the resin printed adaptor came out as an oval rather than round so the chap who's printing these things is looking into that but he's gonna print the complete adaptor with the new thread using the standard 3D method. This will allow me to bring the camera closer to the filter wheel whilst the one Julian kindly printed me will bring the lens closer hopefully bringing the FFD down below 44mm.

730622043_WhatsAppImage2020-06-10at19_39_40.thumb.jpeg.441c1c3f9ba0c9567ba87fbd3ba34aa8.jpeg

Edited by silentrunning

5 hours ago, silentrunning said:

Thanks Noel. I found the Freecad documentation the most concise and easiest to use if your building a thread from scratch

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Thread_for_Screw_Tutorial

I'm fairly new to FreeCad, but I can't believe I've not found that website.  There's plenty of useful info to read there.

Thanks a lot.

I'm very much still learning my way around FreeCAD, but I think it's very impressive.  I use it for designing all my 3d-printed stuff now.  I even used it to design labels for the plants in my veg plot :)

James

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JamesF said:

I'm very much still learning my way around FreeCAD, but I think it's very impressive.  I use it for designing all my 3d-printed stuff now.  I even used it to design labels for the plants in my veg plot :)

James

I've got nothing to compare it to but I've really enjoyed learning it and have various ideas that will need to be implemented using it. It's quite addictive once you get the hang of it....

image.thumb.png.bb583a3e1202fbd886a0cabfe3d25626.png

image.thumb.png.fb4afa4cb5a857a727604622ecdcfe1f.png

• Like 2

On 11/06/2020 at 09:25, daz said:

Just a bit!

@silentrunning- if you ever fancy doing tutorials in FreeCAD.....!!!

I think I'm going to have to give it a go - Tinkercad has sufficed until now and it's really easy to get something in your head and turn it into reality but there's something about being about to create that technical accuracy that I like.

• Like 1