NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

3D Printing Question

silentrunning

I've designed an adaptor that should allow me to connect a Shamyan 135mm F2 lens to my SX filter wheel and bring the lens to chip distance down to or below the FFD of the canon EF mount (44mm). I'm looking at getting this printed by a service I have found on the web which has validated my STL file for printing. I know essentially nothing about 3D printing as was wondering how a 3D printer can print an object with an overhang like this....

image.thumb.png.bcd6e59109bf5ce3611c1b6bdd1e2273.png

2 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

For something that intricate, you also want to ensure that they are able to print at 0.1 mm, or less, height per layer.....

Thanks Julian. There are no threads on it but the bayonet joint structures are quite intricate....

image.thumb.png.4ecc56eb322250f7ca21090513d406be.png

That will be interesting!  I don't think I'd attempt printing something as intricate and accurate as that.  At least not until I have finished my "GinaRep Ultiprinter" which is designed for small, intricate and accurate parts.  I have printed with 0.1mm layer height though in the past.

• Like 1

That's one of the reasons I love the Prusa....  even though its one of the (now) old Mk2's, its still prints wonderfully, & I have added loads of Mods\Updates etc. & combined with PrusaSlicer produces great results, even on my large CoreXY beast....

• Like 2

That's one of the problems with Tinkercad, It's maxim resolution still leaves discrete steps, so for parts I really need 'smooth', I just knock them up in OpenScad & just import them for further manipulation....

& Update

1.5 Hours left to go...... 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Paul Gerlach said:

Make sure you export to STL in high resolution so that something that's meant to be round actually is printed round.

I generated the file from FreeCad, didn't see any export options for resolution and the like but this is all new to me.