NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

3D Printing Question

silentrunning

2 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Yes, its in one piece, and I printed it in PLA.... 

Whether its fully right or not I don't know, but it fits my Tamron 24mm, as for the filter wheel side......

Wow! Does the Tamron have the Canon EF mount? 

3 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

You'll find out for yourself soon.....

Brilliant thanks Julian.

I'm waiting for the lens to arrive from HK and don't have one to check fit but I'll check the fit on the FW body. Did the lens connect OK in your opinion.

1 minute ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

It was quite a firm fit, so I'd be happy to hang one of my lenses off it, but that may depend on the size\weight of the lens\filter wheel etc....  

Well that is encouraging! I'll let you know how well it fits the FW.

Now getting to grips with threads in FreeCad!

image.thumb.png.e761906c25990eb26e686694e4e88e35.png

3 minutes ago, silentrunning said:

Now getting to grips with threads in FreeCad!

That's a giggle, though when I found a tutorial online and tried it for myself it did actually work pretty well.  Fortunately for my first try the thread was fairly coarse so a few imperfections in the print didn't really matter.

James

• Like 1

I can quite easily print t threads and M48 threads on my Ender 3 - I've managed to make an adaptor to fit my Hypercam 269c onto 6.5mm Ef-m lens with the metal camera attachment bit removed (only way to get the backfocus), a baader ufc compatible filter drawer threaded for 2" filters and even Ef to Ef-m adaptor with a built in filter drawer so I can use my STC dual band filter with my 20-200 f2.8L on my Canon M50. :icon_cool:

(I use Tinkercad btw)

138ED88E-6B7D-4AD6-B4C4-FF996C7D7680.jpeg

51F00E22-3F4D-47CB-9205-2FBB569D8011.jpeg

4925CF00-A53D-4BF2-822E-23DC9F327164.jpeg

E139502E-C8AD-416C-AB83-2E3ECF9404C6.jpeg

0CAF90FF-FA42-485A-9C89-4FD34A62303F.jpeg

Edited by haitch
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, haitch said:

I can quite easily print t threads and M48 threads on my Ender 3 - I've managed to make an adaptor to fit my Hypercam 269c onto 6.5mm Ef-m lens with the metal camera attachment bit removed (only way to get the backfocus), a baader ufc compatible filter drawer threaded for 2" filters and even Ef to Ef-m adaptor with a built in filter drawer so I can use my STC dual band filter with my 20-200 f2.8L on my Canon M50. :icon_cool:

(I use Tinkercad btw)

Brilliant, something to aspire to. Thanks.

• Like 1

Just now, silentrunning said:

Brilliant, something to aspire to. Thanks.

If any of the STLs for those would be useful to you let me know and I'll ping them across.

The lens adaptor is in PETG which is the cause of it looking a bit hairy. I've just come out of my PETG phase and moved on to ABS which I'm finding less frustrating though still more tricky than PLA. The nastiest stuff to try and print is TPE (flexible) - I've been pulling what hair I've got left out over that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, haitch said:

If that M48? If so I'm fairly sure the pitch is 0.75 off the top of my head

It's M54 do you think it's 1mm, I'm just trying to measure it. The height of the threaded bit is 4mm and I'm not sure how many teeth I can see 4 or 5?

Looks like 5 to me but hard to be sure. What’s it off?

in the absence of anything definitive I’d try it at 0.75.

have you got either T2 or M48 thread you could put up against it to see if it meshes? They’re both 0.75

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, haitch said:

have you got either T2 or M48 thread you could put up against it to see if it meshes? They’re both 0.75

Its a Starlight express 54mm Male adapter. I'll have a look around and see what adapters I've got. 

20 minutes ago, haitch said:

Pretty sure it's 0.75mm. Having measured inner and outer diamter and angles it matches the relative dimensions in the photo...

image.thumb.png.a6f726a33ad965503036c9ff81c5a1b5.png

Well thanks to all for comments and advice and special thanks to Julian for printing my first ever 3D thingy!

I have just found a chap 2 miles away who's running a small business from home who will print these for £4 a time which seems really reasonable. He will be receiving this little beasty tomorrow and no doubt a few iterations towards a solution.

Never done any CAD or thready things before, head fills like it's about to explode! 🙂

image.thumb.png.68931ca6c3b50427b8c868c7eb6d65a9.png

46 minutes ago, silentrunning said:

Pretty sure it's 0.75mm. Having measured inner and outer diamter and angles it matches the relative dimensions in the photo...

Thread gauges aren't very expensive from the likes of Amazon and make live easier for this sort of thing.

James

• Like 1