NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What's the telescope in Breaking Bad?

RobH2020

I'm just rewatching Breaking Bad, for the first time since getting into astronomy. 

I noticed in Gale's apartment (for those of you that have watched it) in s3e13, there's a telescope. But it looks wrong!

Is it just me or is that a Newtonian pointing out the window but with the eyepiece at the wrong end?

20200517_224021.jpg

20200517_223815.jpg

• Like 2

I think it's a Tasco 114mm newtonian or similar.

It is pointing away from the window. You do seem get this when scopes are used as props - especially newtonians :rolleyes2:

I think this was an advert on US TV:

They are looking through the telescope backwards in the new Little Caesars commercial.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Thanks, not just me then!

The Breaking Bad show creators pride themselves on absolute attention to detail. This guy Gale is meant to be a real nerd - the show creators go to great lengths to fill his apartment with the paraphernalia that goes along with lots of niche enthusiasms, including a potato-powered clock etc. But missed this one.

Still, New Mexico would be a fantastic place to be a stargazer... 330 days of sunshine a year, two days drive to an ocean and only 30 min drive to black sky site from the centre of the state capital!

Edited by RobH2020
  • Like 3

I went to NM about 25 years ago and experienced fantastic sunsets but it was cloudy on the nights we were in the state but azure blue skies during the day. Went to see the Very Large Array which was astonishing.

I agree that set dressing can be challenging sometimes as there is always someone who notices something awry. However that advert photo is unforgivable.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

I went to NM about 25 years ago and experienced fantastic sunsets but it was cloudy on the nights we were in the state but azure blue skies during the day. Went to see the Very Large Array which was astonishing.

I agree that set dressing can be challenging sometimes as there is always someone who notices something awry. However that advert photo is unforgivable.

ah that must've been so annoying. wonder if you just got unlucky or if that's a typical pattern..

16 hours ago, John said:

I think it's a Tasco 114mm newtonian or similar.

It is pointing away from the window. You do seem get this when scopes are used as props - especially newtonians :rolleyes2:

I think this was an advert on US TV:

They are looking through the telescope backwards in the new Little Caesars commercial.

It's not the wrong way round, he's checking to see if he has wet himself 🙂

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, RobH2020 said:

ah that must've been so annoying. wonder if you just got unlucky or if that's a typical pattern..

probably just unlucky on that trip

On 18/05/2020 at 10:24, TerryMcK said:

probably just unlucky on that trip

Definitely unlucky.  🙂

I go to NM as often as I can and I have had some spectacular nights.   It is a two day drive but worth the trip.

John Love
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX

CC-Sky-2.JPG

CCSP2016-02.JPG

• Like 4

Once you're into astronomy, you'll notice every telescope in every show/film you watch, the majority are the cheapest props going, lots are the wrong way around, most are pointing out narrow windows with hardly any FOV.

One notable exception is the Moonraker in Altered Carbon!

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/607063-moonraker-builds-for-netflix-altered-carbon-series/

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CCD-Freak said:

And then there is the "Party Scope"

John Love
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX

Party Scope.jpg

Interesting light shield on the top. Not sure if the idea will catch on though? 😁😁😁

Edited by johninderby

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/06/2020 at 12:52, BrendanC said:

Anyone fancy using a Stellina with huge amounts of localised light pollution?

BqUajKSByXPv9Nbk4KFF6B-650-80.jpg

Is the Stellina any good? Not in those conditions I'm sure, but generally?

Absolutely no idea, sorry. There are some reviews out there. Generally I think, given the price, it's much more suited either to people who are very rich but don't want the hassle of kit, or community outreach where people want to see electronically enhanced images in real-time.

• 4 months later...

No description available.Found another one - in series 1 of The Expanse on Amazon Prime.

Good series. It's even a sci-fi about travels around the solar system. The set dressers still don't know what they're doing with a telescope though!

• Haha 2