NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What's the telescope in Breaking Bad?

RobH2020

On 17/05/2020 at 21:56, RobH2020 said:

I'm just rewatching Breaking Bad, for the first time since getting into astronomy. 

I noticed in Gale's apartment (for those of you that have watched it) in s3e13, there's a telescope. But it looks wrong!

Is it just me or is that a Newtonian pointing out the window but with the eyepiece at the wrong end?

20200517_224021.jpg

20200517_223815.jpg

Isn't that just a very fast newt with an excessively cautious dew shield?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Starwatcher2001 said:

I can semi-understand a non-technical show setting up a telescope incorrectly... this gem is from an astronomy course: "The Life and Death of Stars" from "The Teaching Company".  (Which is actually a pretty good course, despite the prop failure)

image.png.15a9fb86d759b84f337b584405d9fcd5.png

I assume they buy the telescope just for the show, just as they put the wood panelling in just for it as well... wonder what Nd where they dispose of them afterwards.

3 hours ago, John said:

The Lowell Observatory have installed a Moonraker refractor on their new Giovale Observation Deck. It's an 8 inch and it's certainly going to be used the right way around there !

moonraker_website.jpg

Wow! Candy apple red. Moon Raker make the most exquisite scopes. Their website is well worth visiting.