Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon lens fitting.

2 minutes ago, chewie said:

Should do, EF-S Lenses are for crop sensor canon cameras, EF lenses are for full frame cameras

EF lenses work on crop-sensor cameras too, but the reverse is not true: EF-S lenses won't fit full frame cameras.

James

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JamesF said:

EF lenses work on crop-sensor cameras too, but the reverse is not true: EF-S lenses won't fit full frame cameras.

James

Not sure at what model number it starts but certainly newer full frame canon cameras do work with EF-S lenses, the sensor adjusts to act as a crop sensor, only reason i can think for doing it though is if you need a bit more reach. I should point out that this is the EOS R mirrorless.

Edited by chewie

I was told some years ago that "some", repeat "some" EF-s lenses do fit full frame Canon cameras such as the 5D I have. BUT I never tested it out as I did not require any more than I had. I believe the rear lens of the EF-s type can foul the flip mirror on a full frame camera. I expect some one will tell me if this is still true. BUT caution was advised at the time I was told this.

Derek

1 minute ago, chewie said:

Not sure at what model number it starts but certainly newer full frame canon cameras do work with EF-S lenses, the sensor adjusts to act as a crop sensor, only reason i can think for doing it though is if you need a bit more reach.

Perhaps just the mirrorless ones?  As far as I recall the EF-S lenses wouldn't work with full frame cameras (that have mirrors) because they intrude into the camera body and don't give enough clearance for the larger mirror in the full-frame cameras when it moves.  I think the EF-S lenses wouldn't even actually fit on the EF mount in such cases.

James

It works 100% on my EOS R, can't say with regard to mirrored canon digital cameras as i haven't owned one in 20+ years as i went from Canon film to Fuji digital back to Canon mirrorless. The RF - EF adapter replaces the space where the mirror box would normally be.

2 minutes ago, chewie said:

It works 100% on my EOS R, can't say with regard to mirrored canon digital cameras as i haven't owned one in 20+ years as i went from Canon film to Fuji digital back to Canon mirrorless. The RF - EF adapter replaces the space where the mirror box would normally be.

I'm not familiar with the R, but I guess the adapter is perhaps what allows it to work.  A hunt around on Canon's support forums suggests that Canon EF-S lenses are deliberately engineered not to fit a camera with a standard EF mount, but I have no way to test that.

Either way, the lens that the OP is looking at should work fine on a 350D (I think it may be pretty much the same as the kit lens that would have come with that model in the first place).  My recollection is that there is a bit of distortion towards the edges of the frame which can be improved by stopping the camera down a little.  If you do that then the edges of the blades in the lens can cause diffraction spikes in the image.  Some people like them, others think they're the work of Satan.  If you don't like them then a workaround may be to stop the aperture down using a ring of plastic (with a hole of the appropriate size) fitted to the front of the lens whilst leaving the lens itself wide open.

James

33 minutes ago, JamesF said:

My recollection is that there is a bit of distortion towards the edges of the frame which can be improved by stopping the camera down a little. 

James

You can also use DxO PhotoLab 3 to remove distortion in photographs. There are several modules for just about nearly all lenses you may ever own what ever the camera !

BUT at some considerable cost !

Derek

1 hour ago, chewie said:

Not sure at what model number it starts but certainly newer full frame canon cameras do work with EF-S lenses, the sensor adjusts to act as a crop sensor, only reason i can think for doing it though is if you need a bit more reach. I should point out that this is the EOS R mirrorless.

EF-S lenses don't reliability clear the internals of an EF full frame mirrored camera.

• 1 month later...

Many EF-S lenses (especially the wide-angle ones) have the rear element too close to the sensor/film plane, and the mirror of a full frame camera would jam into the lens.

Hence the decision of Canon to design the EF-S mount in a way that doesn't permit these lenses being mounted on film and full frame bodies.

The mirrorless series have no mirror to hit the lens, you just need an adapter to cover the flange distance difference.

N.F.