Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Everyone loves a Telrad

not so much snails, but here I get a load of slugs in the garden, somehow they seem to love the astroturf. Always a worry when the scopes are out in case they find their way into things, the slime is a right mother to clean up, almost as bad as catching eels. Worse still they seem able to find their way into things and cause havoc with electronics. One found its way into the catflap control section, electrocuted itself across the board which rendered it broke and leaving the kitties locked out till I found out what caused it. Took me ages to clean it all up and then it had scrambled the kitties ID codes, they were seriously unimpressed at having to be held and passed under the reader in what was, from their protesting and look at me, such an undignified manner. I bunged up every opening I could find with blutak and so far no further infestation. Does leave me a little paranoid about the SynScan tho so I try to keep cables off the ground or run off battery so there's no easy route they can sneak along in the dark.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

Just now, John said:

Is astroturf a particularly good surface to observe from ? :icon_biggrin:

well its a case of little option in my small garden John, the patio segment is next to the shed under a pergola and the oak tree reaches toward it too, so a very narrow range of view from there restricted to NE and having to aim over the house roof which is only 40ft away. The ground under the astroturf is rock solid so the scope sits fine and stable, depending where I place if I can view ESE-SSE as objects rise into view, or W-N shooting over the higher fence and roofs. Another bonus too, no muddy feet traipsing in and out of the house, the gear stays nice and clean :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Will you have to shell out for a new one?

Have a word in the other half's 'shell like'.😉🤣

24 minutes ago, John said:

My silly humour Dave - I thought astroturf was a nice term, given our hobby  :icon_biggrin:

It must be nice not to have to mow it - my lawn needs doing !

doh! I totally missed that lol

yeah and its green all year round too 🙂 just those damned slugs. Will have to go round and check the lawn at my Dad's soon and mow that again tho. 

• Like 1