Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Forest astronomy

3 minutes ago, ngwillym said:

Thunder & lightning here in my bit of the New Forest

yep, that new girl ordered some optics, bound to happen... ;) 

Cleared up a bit here tho, was just out shooting the moon but tis pretty cold

9 hours ago, ngwillym said:

Thunder & lightning here in my bit of the New Forest

Hello fellow Forester.  I don't know which part of the Forest you are in but I didn't get any thunder and lightning,  just heavy rain.

9 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

yep, that new girl ordered some optics, bound to happen... ;) 

Cleared up a bit here tho, was just out shooting the moon but tis pretty cold

I'm trying my best Dave, but those weather Gods and Goddesses just keep ignoring my pleas for clear skies 😇  I'll try harder next time 🤭

Patience Karen, you'll get there and be blown away by the views with that shiny new scope 🙂

The weather is probably the most frustrating part of this hobby, we've all been there. Nice new toy and flat white skies for days, or kicking yourself for deciding not to enjoy the clear night one day and the next several are all occluded. The moon did look good last night though in breaks of the cloud and even cleared up a bit much later, but I didn't get the scope out just took a couple snaps with the camera which came out ok.

14 hours ago, Karen Bexley said:

Well, acting on adviceI about a suitable telescope to start off with which I received on the Forum, I convinced myself to buy one 🤗.

I went through "First Light Optics" and purchased a new Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian telescope and a Telrad Finder.

The Telrad arrived yesterday but the telescope will take about 3 weeks.

Gives me extra time to get my stargazing plans organised 😃

Excellent choice for a scope, very capable and a good all rounder 👍

At a later date the telescope tube can be put on a motorised mount for automatic tracking if required.

For best results you need to put the scope outside to allow the mirror to reach ambient temperature before you use it.

You will also need to collimate the scope which involves checking and adjustIng the mirrors occasionally to make sure they are in alignment to give the very best views. There are loads of guides online to show you how to do this and it’s easier than it sounds.

The Planets will look great in this scope in the Autumn/Winter 😀

Edited by dweller25

43 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

Patience Karen, you'll get there and be blown away by the views with that shiny new scope 🙂

The weather is probably the most frustrating part of this hobby, we've all been there. Nice new toy and flat white skies for days, or kicking yourself for deciding not to enjoy the clear night one day and the next several are all occluded. The moon did look good last night though in breaks of the cloud and even cleared up a bit much later, but I didn't get the scope out just took a couple snaps with the camera which came out ok.

I know it is going to be frustrating at times, but I'm prepared for that.

It was quite cloudy here last night.  I could see a couple of stars with the naked eye late evening but not an awful lot.

16 hours ago, Karen Bexley said:

Well, acting on adviceI about a suitable telescope to start off with which I received on the Forum, I convinced myself to buy one 🤗.

I went through "First Light Optics" and purchased a new Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian telescope and a Telrad Finder.

The Telrad arrived yesterday but the telescope will take about 3 weeks.

Gives me extra time to get my stargazing plans organised 😃

Good choice.👍

HI again Karen,

I live just outside Marchwood.

And the apps are good but a while ago I put together a little presentation to help beginners navigate their way around the night sky - I've attached it here - it may be of some use.

Now all we need are some clear skies.

Regards

Neil

NightSkyBeginners.pdf

13 minutes ago, ngwillym said:

HI again Karen,

I live just outside Marchwood.

And the apps are good but a while ago I put together a little presentation to help beginners navigate their way around the night sky - I've attached it here - it may be of some use.

Now all we need are some clear skies.

Regards

Neil

NightSkyBeginners.pdf 2.04 MB · 0 downloads

Hi Neil,

I'm more southwest of you and south of Lyndhurst.  I never say exactly where I live on Forums or Social Media, because you never really know who is reading your posts.  It's just a security issue for me.

Anyway, thanks for posting that link for navigating the night sky 👍

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Hi get stellarium plus its worth the £7.50 you can also use this to move your goto telescope to your target it will tell you what star is what when you point your phone at it 

Thanks Neil H.

I'll have a closer look at the free version first to see how I get on with it.