Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Forest astronomy

I started most of my introduction to the hobby of astronomy in the Welcome section of the Forum, but this section seems more appropriate to add further conversations.

I am lucky to live in the New Forest which has ideal viewing conditions of the night sky.

I have only recently rekindled my interest in trying to expand my knowledge of astronomy.  I intend to start off quite modestly and see which area of the hobby to focus on.  I have a good quality pair of Leica 8 x 32 binoculars and a Leica APO Televid 77 field scope.  I use these primarily for bird watching, so I'm hoping they can give me some decent views of the stars too.

Initially, I want to identify the Zodiac Constellations, in particular my birth sign of Virgo.  I believe Virgo becomes visible in the evening sky from now until June, so armed with my Planisphere I have a starting point to try to locate it.  Once I've got that one I can go for the others.

I then aim to get some good sightings of the nearest stars, and of course try to get some decent photos of the Moon.

I haven't had much luck with photographs just yet, but have been given some things to try by another helpful member.

Anyway, as I talk with more members here I'm hoping to gain more knowledge and experience to greatly enhance my new hobby.

• Like 1

Hi Karen, there is a double star in Virgo called Porrima which might be good to view.

There is also many galaxies in Virgo, and the Virgo Galaxy Cluster.

Edited by Mick H

Great, welcome! The New Forest is lovely in many ways besides the night sky.

I am happy to live a few kilometres from a Dark Sky Park, so I have easy access to dark skies too. Binocular astronomy is very rewarding under these circumstances, I tend to be out more with my 10x50 than with my 8" dobson. A lot of open clusters, globular clusters, galaxies and double stars are well within reach of binoculars or small spotting scopes if the skies are dark enough.

Yes, this is a good time of year to view the Virgo constellation in the late evening. The brightest star of the constellation, Spica, can easily be found using the Big Dipper and the phrase: "Arc to Arcturus, Speed on to Spica" (the link has a nice finder chart). The other stars of Virgo are not as bright as Spica so it may take a while to recognise the traditional constellation shape. When you found it, look for the lion-shaped Leo to the right (= West) of Virgo.

Astrophotography is a whole other kind of hobby I'm not very familiar with, I'm sure others are able to help you with that. Have fun!

Hi Karen

that's some good equipment you have in terms of optical quality so I'm sure they won't disappoint, especially your binos are a league or 2 above any I own lol. Like you I run a bridge camera, in my case an older Fuji S100FS which I find very handy when roaming about with the large zoom range. I can't run it remote-view from the laptop as it wasn't a feature on this camera but I did obtain a remote timer for it, so that I can set exposures and release the shutter without needing to touch the camera, reduces vibration etc when tripod mounted. If yours supports remote/webcam operation you may find it easier operating that way than camera alone. One of these days I'll try running mine piggy-back on the SW130 or perhaps fit a tripod screw to a dovetail and see how it does on the EQ5 goto mount, I'm sure it should be possible to get some reasonable night sky shots with it and yours may perform well at this too. Just a case of learning the manual settings and then the harder part - finding focus on what you can barely make out in the display! I tend to find tho that I get distracted enjoying the view or have other things wanting attention so yet to give it a go.

Anyways, have fun and enjoy the skies where you are. You're lucky as you've already done what is perhaps the most useful upgrade to night sky viewing, moved to a site with great skies :) 

• Like 1

Thanks Dave.  Once I'm more familiar navigating myself around the stars with my bins, then I'll probably try to get some photos.

I also have the equipment to do some digiscoping, which gives me a bigger range of magnification on various subjects.  For that I have a Nikon D60 which I connect to the field scope with a special adaptor, after first removing the camera lens.   I have a remote button for activating the shutter release to minimise camera-shake.  I've only ever used that set up for photographing birds, so I don't yet know how successful or otherwise that would be for capturing the night sky.

It's back to getting to use the camera in manual mode again, which I'm not used to doing.  When I mostly shoot wildlife and landscapes I use auto-mode which suits my particular needs and I get the results I want.  Anyway, with the current lockdown period, I've got plenty of time to delve into the finer workings of my equipment.

I started in astronomy with a pair of 8x30 binoculars and a spotting scope, neither of which are anywhere near the optical quality of the equipment you have.

They enabled me to get some nice wide angle views but unfortunately you will not get high magnification views of the moon and planets which is where my initial  interest lay.

The  one thing I would suggest that may help you is to get one of the night sky apps for a phone or tablet. There are some excellent free or very cheap apps that you can download that will be a great help. You can hold the device up and orientate the app to the sky making it easier to find you way around the sky.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Star Struck said:

I started in astronomy with a pair of 8x30 binoculars and a spotting scope, neither of which are anywhere near the optical quality of the equipment you have.

They enabled me to get some nice wide angle views but unfortunately you will not get high magnification views of the moon and planets which is where my initial  interest lay.

The  one thing I would suggest that may help you is to get one of the night sky apps for a phone or tablet. There are some excellent free or very cheap apps that you can download that will be a great help. You can hold the device up and orientate the app to the sky making it easier to find you way around the sky.

It's encouraging news to hear that good viewing results of the night sky can be obtained using binoculars, as I didn't want to leap in so early on in my learning experience and spend a lot of money, at least until I know exactly how far I want to take the hobby.

8 minutes ago, Star Struck said:

I do have a Planisphere, which probably does the same job as a phone or tablet app, but I think the phone app would have an advantage as it would be easier to see in the dark 🙂 I'll have a look at some of them anyway.

I notice that you also live in Hampshire 👍   I never give out my exact location, other than to say I live within the National Park boundary towards the southern end, so I won't ask you where you are. 

If I just want a quick look at the night sky, I still use binoculars today as do many other people on here.

Your approach is a sensible one, take small steps until you work out exactly what you want out of this hobby.

When you are ready, you will find plenty of excellent advice from members on here about equipment etc.

There is a very vibrant market for used astronomy equipment, so you do not have to think you must buy new equipmnet all the time.

Most astronomers look after their gear exceptionally well and buying second or even third hand can produce excellent results.

The great majority of my gear has been bought on the used market.

2 minutes ago, Star Struck said:

If I just want a quick look at the night sky, I still use binoculars today as do many other people on here.

Your approach is a sensible one, take small steps until you work out exactly what you want out of this hobby.

When you are ready, you will find plenty of excellent advice from members on here about equipment etc.

There is a very vibrant market for used astronomy equipment, so you do not have to think you must buy new equipmnet all the time.

Most astronomers look after their gear exceptionally well and buying second or even third hand can produce excellent results.

The great majority of my gear has been bought on the used market.

Good advice.

I've just downloaded an app for my Android phone called Sky Map.  It allows you to point the camera at the sky and it tells you what you are looking at.  It sounds okay, and gets some good reviews (and it's FREE 👍) so I'll give it a try.

1 hour ago, Karen Bexley said:

Good advice.

I've just downloaded an app for my Android phone called Sky Map.  It allows you to point the camera at the sky and it tells you what you are looking at.  It sounds okay, and gets some good reviews (and it's FREE 👍) so I'll give it a try.

Sky Map is a great tool to learn the constellations and planets. Have fun!

• Like 1

ya jinxed it being new and keen ;)

Sadly looks like the run of good weather has paused for breath so as ever its a case of fickle UK skies and see what you can when you can :) 

Same here tho, all cloud, pity as it'd have been something to distract while we lost power in the area. Didn't make an iota of difference to sky darkness of course even with several street lights off. Still, having UPS meant computer and TV still carried on regardless but looks like new battery required in the kitty smart-door as the boys were stuck outside till I left the door open for them. Hoping little hedgehog didn't sneak in under cover of darkness like he did once before

I was all set last night to spend a bit of time reclined in my garden looking up at the stars, so I was quite disappointed to be greeted by clouds.

I'm sure everyone else was disappointed too.  We've got rain here today, and is forecast to continue for at least the next few days, so not much hope of stargazing for a while 🙁

19 hours ago, Karen Bexley said:

I have a good quality pair of Leica 8 x 32 binoculars and a Leica APO Televid 77 field scope

An excellent starter kit, that will serve you for a lifetime - no need to upgrade during the next 1-2 years!

18 hours ago, Star Struck said:

get one of the night sky apps for a phone or tablet. There are some excellent free or very cheap apps that you can download that will be a great help. You can hold the device up and orientate the app to the sky making it easier to find you way around the sky.

You've already downloaded Google's Sky map - a decent, but basic map, good for the first steps.

I'd recommend additionally "SkySafari Plus". A mighty tool, that not only allows to identify stars by pointing the device at their location. More important, you can set the phone's display to match exactly the field of view your binos or field scope will show. You can even set the brightness of stars or e.g. galaxies to the faintest objects your optical devices will show. This makes star hopping from a bright and easy to identify star to a fainter object a breeze. A lot of information about the objects is immediately at your fingertips.You will need some time to exhaust all the features of SkySafari, but it's really rewarding (of course, no affiliation etc. here - just a pleased owner).

Another recommendation: Start a diary/logbook of your observations (e.g. entries about location, sky conditions, instrument, objects observed....). It's fun to read the entries later in cloudy nights - you can see the progress you've made.

Clear skies (I'm blessed here in SW Germany, like you, with Bortle 4 skies)

Stephan

Pretty grim here, too.  Heavy rain was forecast though we have more of a persistent drizzle.  My usual gauge of how clear the air is -- how well I can see the northern end of the Quantock hills about seven miles away -- is useless today because I can't see them at all.  In fact I can barely see the next nearest hill, which is only about a mile and a half away.

Not much for it but to stay indoors and work, really :(

James

9 minutes ago, Nyctimene said:

An excellent starter kit, that will serve you for a lifetime - no need to upgrade during the next 1-2 years!

You've already downloaded Google's Sky map - a decent, but basic map, good for the first steps.

I'd recommend additionally "SkySafari Plus". A mighty tool, that not only allows to identify stars by pointing the device at their location. More important, you can set the phone's display to match exactly the field of view your binos or field scope will show. You can even set the brightness of stars or e.g. galaxies to the faintest objects your optical devices will show. This makes star hopping from a bright and easy to identify star to a fainter object a breeze. A lot of information about the objects is immediately at your fingertips.You will need some time to exhaust all the features of SkySafari, but it's really rewarding (of course, no affiliation etc. here - just a pleased owner).

Another recommendation: Start a diary/logbook of your observations (e.g. entries about location, sky conditions, instrument, objects observed....). It's fun to read the entries later in cloudy nights - you can see the progress you've made.

Clear skies (I'm blessed here in SW Germany, like you, with Bortle 4 skies)

Stephan

You sound well organised there Stephan.

Thank you for the advice.

• Like 1

Well, acting on adviceI about a suitable telescope to start off with which I received on the Forum, I convinced myself to buy one 🤗.

I went through "First Light Optics" and purchased a new Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian telescope and a Telrad Finder.

The Telrad arrived yesterday but the telescope will take about 3 weeks.

Gives me extra time to get my stargazing plans organised 😃

• Like 1