NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 4244 in Canes Venatici - last one for the season

gorann

While my previous post was the first light with the Celestron Edge HD 11", this will most likely be the last for the season. It is just getting to bright up here at night and fog is forecasted, but more images to come in August, I hope. I still have data from the 14" Meade to process and I am quite pleased with what I managed to gather this season.

NGC4244, aka The Silver Needle Galaxy and Caldwell 26, is an edge-on loose spiral galaxy in the constellation Canes Venatici, and is part of the M94 Group or Canes Venatici I Group, a galaxy group relatively close to the Local Group containing the Milky Way. At +10.2v or 10.7B magnitude, NGC 4244 lies approximately 4.1 megaparsecs (14 million light years) away. (All according to Wikipedia)

Data: Celestron EdgeHD 1100 with 0.7x reducer (so f/7 and FL 1960mm) with the ASI071 (gain 200) on my Mesu mount. 47 x 5 min, so about 4 hours over two nights.

20200419 NGC4244 Edge11 PS33smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 19

55 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Lovely image and one I don't think I have seen before.

Well done.

Thanks! It was a new one to me too - forgot now where I found it. Probably just spotted it in Aladin Sky Atlas.

22 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Damn you giraan, you stole my thunder. I was working on the same image myself lol

Great stuff matey. 

Thanks a lot and sorry about the intrusion!

• Haha 1

I looked it up, but it is usually displayed by its 'popular' name, the Silver Needle. 

Lovely image, and right into my best imaging area these days.. Unfortunately it is too windy for a c11 and the Esprit 120 might give a too small image.. Maybe I'll give it a shot anyway, we're spoiled this week! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wiu-Wiu said:

I looked it up, but it is usually displayed by its 'popular' name, the Silver Needle. 

Lovely image, and right into my best imaging area these days.. Unfortunately it is too windy for a c11 and the Esprit 120 might give a too small image.. Maybe I'll give it a shot anyway, we're spoiled this week! 

Thanks and good luck! I will add "Silver Needle" to the post.

20 hours ago, Wiu-Wiu said:

Thanks! in the light of this, I might need you to share some of your experiences in my question here: 

You already got some good advice in that thread. Olly talks about investing in a camera with bigger pixels that better matchesthe C11 focal length. It is the Sony A7s (there are other ones in the A7 series but only "s" has the big pixels). You can get a good one for under 1000 Euro on ebay. I bought one there for 900 Euro last year and use it for my Meade 14" (FL 3550 mm) with good results. I also had mine full spectrum modded for another 300 Euro by JTW in Holland, but it works quite well also unmodded (if you modify it it cannot be used for daytime photography).

13 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Very nice Goran..  I see you’ve bought yet another telescope and have plans for a third observatory for it 

Thanks Dave!

Yes, astro darkness is gone so it is time to start digging for the new pier and small shed around it (just to protect the gear - not the 6 and 12 m2 ones I have now). It will initially be for a RASA8 on a NEQ6. Maybe it is borderline madness to have three obsies.....

Edited by gorann

27 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks Dave!

Yes, astro darkness is gone so it is time to start digging for the new pier and small shed around it (just to protect the gear - not the 6 and 12 m2 ones I have now). It will initially be for a RASA8 on a NEQ6. Maybe it is borderline madness to have three obsies.....

Not at all.. I know someone who has more :)  .. good luck with it 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Goran that is a brilliant image. Its interesting that I viewed this galaxy last night so its good to see a detailed image - thanks

Thanks a lot Mark! I have no idea what it would look through an eyepiece - I should try that one day when it gets dark again.