Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Messed up collimation again

Looks good to me and better lined up than my newt.  The real test is how it performs under the stars. My own test is to get onto a nice close double of similar mag,  about 3 to 4 arcseconds seperation and if I'm happy with that I leave it.  It's possible to get a bit carried away with collimation and chase perfection until the cows come home.  That's my opinion anyway 😀.

20200329_193856.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Anthony1979 said:

Its stressed me out all day been at it since 1 this afternoon trying to get it perfect

Yup,  know what you mean 😐, been there and done that.  Next time you need to collimate it'll be a lot quicker and less stressful now that you've been through the process already. 

This is the definitive and most recommended guide.  http://www.astro-baby.com/astrobaby/help/collimation-guide-newtonian-reflector/ it needs following to the letter doing absolutely everything even if it sounds odd.  You will see if you read to the end that sometimes the perfect collimation isn't an absolutely symmetrical picture of circles and vanes.

Given this fact I don't think you are far out.

Edited by JOC

Looks good enough to me.  Other issues such as seeing conditions and cooling to ambient temperature of the optics will have far more effect on performance than collimation being a few % short of perfection.     😀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Anthony1979 said:

Is this good

DSC_0444.JPG

I'd say that's pretty Bob on. If one wanted to be really picky, the secondary could come down (as you look at the photo) just a smidge. But to be honest you wouldn't notice a great deal of difference. What focal length is your    ota ? If memory serves, it's F6. If that is the case, I'd leave the collimation as is. Just my opinion of course. I'm open to be corrected. 

Al. 

The scope is f/5

3 hours ago, Ally8446 said:

I'd say that's pretty Bob on. If one wanted to be really picky, the secondary could come down (as you look at the photo) just a smidge. But to be honest you wouldn't notice a great deal of difference. What focal length is your    ota ? If memory serves, it's F6. If that is the case, I'd leave the collimation as is. Just my opinion of course. I'm open to be corrected. 

Al. 

The telescope is f/5... How would i move the secondary down a bit

That's look good to me as well , just check after its cooled down and just adjust as need are you using a Cheshire I had a skywatcher 150/750 F5 and with a laser it was always miles out so I got a Cheshire and also followed astro baby got is spot  then popped the laser in and it said the Collimation was miles out t did star test and it was spot on so laser went in the bin I find the Cheshire is a really great tool and easy to use 

The secondary isn't precisely in the middle but as I said, it's as near as damn it to not matter. I'm purely visual as I suspect is Anthony, atm anyway. It's close enough to get really good views. I'd leave it as is. 

Clear skies to all. 

12 minutes ago, Anthony1979 said:

I use for imaging.... Thats why im wondering if it needs to be perfect

If you read about the 150p as I have said there is a slight offset of the secondary because it is a F5 scope.

Here is another guide this may help better I have just found it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z101875limcuzjy/Newtonian Collimation.pptx?dl=0

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 1