Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New to Astronomy

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Still think the AZ5 130PS could be a good option and within budget.

I'm somewhat reserved about that 130PS and in general - SW scopes of latest series that come bundled with new mounts (like pronto, az5, AzGti).

It looks like they have been trying to cut down weight of these scopes to make them more stable, and for some inexplicable reason, they decided that collimation systems take too much weight, so these new scopes can't be collimated.

Take a look at back sides of some of them:

image.png.4c68a74cf5fe36a42877fb185b01747e.png

image.png.85766d26e158dd0fd007e88e837e5f75.png

Here is quote from one unboxing post here on SGL:

However one of the big things that I liked about this version of the 130p compared  to the others is that it does not require colimation as the back panel does not have any screws as you would see on a normal Newtonian.

I'm not sure I would like a scope that can't be adjusted if it goes out of collimation.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, sarahsmiffy said:

Thank you very much.

basically I want to see a bit of everything. Maybe not right away but just to know this scope can.

can I add a motor or goto later ?

Yep the motor is pretty cheap and reliable and easy to fit. I prefer this to constantly nudging along a dobsonian which is a skill in itself. There is something great about located an object and just relaxing to observe for as long as you want without adjusting the telescope, even at high magnification.

Newtonoans are definite all rounders I would say.

28 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Still think the AZ5 130PS could be a good option and within budget.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az5-deluxe/sky-watcher-explorer-130ps-az5-deluxe.html

DD4F4038-F1BE-407D-A734-C3C9839378BD.jpeg

I take it the mount would work like an EQ without a motor drive - I would move it with the cables without having to move the whole scope each time ?

im guessing I can see a bit of everything - moon, planets, star , nebulae and galaxies ?

as well as this 1.25 eye piece (sorry but I can’t see where it states this), can add a phone mount too ?

on,y thing I’m not keen on is the finder scope but guessing I can swap it out for a telrad later on.

also, If this is a good choice what additional lenses would you recommend,

think this might be the one !!!!!!!!!!!

Hi the skywatcher 150 on the EQ3-2 is a nice set up , I know what has been said about the weight but your not going to move it fully set up , I also strip down mine after use it does not take long  and when you go to set up the time it takes goes toward cool down time of the telescope

The EQ3-2 can have the go-to kit added at a later date if you want to , if you go this route you can add a polar scope to the mount as well 

If you get this one get a Cheshire collimator don't waste money on a cheap laser

Yes unfortunately they have changed the colimation. The primary mirror is now fixed and colimation is done by adjusting the secondary mirror.

Review of the 130ps on a different mount.

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/reviews/telescopes/sky-watcher-explorer-130ps-telescope-and-az-eq-avant-mount/

Edited by johninderby

2 hours ago, vlaiv said:

That scope is not going to be considerably lighter than comparable aperture dobsonian telescope.

Mount head is 3.2kg, tripod is 3.3kg, tube weight is 5.3kg and there are at least 5kg worth of counterweights included. Fully assembled setup is going to be around 16-17kg.

That is pretty much the same as 6" dob version - which is (just checked) 5.8kg for tube and about 10kg for base - so total about 16kg.

And, any tripod based mount is going to be very top heavy if you need to pick it up and move it about fully assembled to dodge sky obstructions like trees and buildings.  It will tend to want to flop over when you pick it up.  Dobs tend to be bottom heavy, so if you can grab it by the sides near the altitude pivot and hug it close to your body and do a penguin waddle, they're pretty easy to move about to dodge obstructions.

This one https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html

and yes you can still take images of D.S.O. on a static mount, just takes a little learning, not great results but possible

I did this on the 200P version, with a non driven EQ5, as for over £1,000 for astro photography, the setup cost £240 on ebay,, though it did have issues with mount so got £100 off it. I did up grade the mount to an NEQ 6 but is just the direction I wanted to go.

It has been said you can upgrade the mount to goto or if you can upgrade the mount, the goto upgrade is £322, you can also drive it in EQ less than £100 or EQ & Dec about £120 , a EQ5 goto mount is £569

If your determined enough you will over come any EQ issues. I have had dobs and Alt/Az prefer eq's because so much easier to keep things in the FOV,

orion, nebulaDSS-Edit-2-Edit.jpg

Edited by Nicola Hannah Butterfield
  • Like 2

On 13/04/2020 at 22:26, sarahsmiffy said:

I was just about to say I’ve just seen you can’t collimate it, which is a problem for me if it needs maintenance.

back to the drawing board 😢😢

All the time I owned a 130PS, it didn't require collimation. 

This system has been used for years in other 'starter' systems including the  Star Discovery 150i goto scopes. The ABS and fixed mirror cell saves weight and is robust.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet

4 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

All the time I owned a 130PS, it didn't require collimation. 

This system has been used for years in other 'starter' systems including the  Star Discovery 150i goto scopes. The ABS and fixed mirror cell saves weight and is robust.

Thank you for your help.

On 13/04/2020 at 22:32, johninderby said:

Yes unfortunately they have changed the colimation. The primary mirror is now fixed and colimation is done by adjusting the secondary mirror.

Review of the 130ps on a different mount.

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/reviews/telescopes/sky-watcher-explorer-130ps-telescope-and-az-eq-avant-mount/

So potentially the collomation  of the primary mirror  isn’t required and therefore not an Issue ?

19 minutes ago, sarahsmiffy said:

So potentially the collomation  of the primary mirror  isn’t required and therefore not an Issue ?

Not being able to collimate the scope can only become issue in two cases:

- either you receive the scope that is out of alignment when you purchase it or

- scope goes out of the alignment due to use.

If neither of the two ever happens - I don't see inability of collimating the scope being an issue at all. Both of above have happened to me and I'm pretty sure everyone else doing astronomy with reflector scopes.

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

You can collimate the scope by adjusting the secondary but wonder if that is good enough. Proper collimation please. 🤔

No you can't. In some circumstances you can do it via tilting secondary only but in general case, even with spherical primary - you would need to move secondary or tilt focuser to get proper alignment.

1 minute ago, sarahsmiffy said:

What are your views on this ?
I’m presuming I can see galaxies and nebulae etc as stated.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-explorer-130ps-az-eq-avant-telescope.html

My view on that particular bundle is that it is very nice combination. I started with something similar and had a lot of fun.

I really like that little mount as it can operate as EQ mount and AltAZ mount. It is however a lightweight mount so we can't expect it to be rock solid.

There is motor option available for that mount so it can be easily converted into a tracking mount (not goto, just regular tracking) - which is excellent for planetary observation.

I would recommend AltAz mode for general observing and EQ mode for high power planetary / double star work (with perhaps tracking motor upgrade).

My only concern about this bundle (and other bundled scopes) is the fact that scopes can't be collimated. Whether this was done to save the weight (which is a good thing on such a small mount - it is always better to put lighter scope on a given mount then heavier one) or was it done to reduce costs, or perhaps that goes with modern "consumer" practice - use item until it works and then purchase another one instead of fixing the first one - I have no idea.

On one hand - removing collimation is very beneficial for novice astronomers as many dread the idea of adjusting the optics, but can manufacturer guarantee that scope will arrive in perfect working order (even if it was in perfect order at factory - there is transportation that can easily knock mirror out of collimation) and that it won't get out of collimation during use?