Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New to Astronomy

1 minute ago, sarahsmiffy said:

That one will certainly have main mirror cell capable of collimation.

It is bigger and better scope - 2" focuser capable of accepting both 1.25" and 2" eyepieces. Thin spider, more aperture ...

In my view, only drawback to that scope is that EQ3-2 is EQ mount - and if you watched above video for EQ-AZ avant models - you've seen the need to rotate OTA. Larger scope is harder to rotate in its rings (not impossible, but harder than lighter smaller scope).

1 minute ago, vlaiv said:

That one will certainly have main mirror cell capable of collimation.

It is bigger and better scope - 2" focuser capable of accepting both 1.25" and 2" eyepieces. Thin spider, more aperture ...

In my view, only drawback to that scope is that EQ3-2 is EQ mount - and if you watched above video for EQ-AZ avant models - you've seen the need to rotate OTA. Larger scope is harder to rotate in its rings (not impossible, but harder than lighter smaller scope).

What are your views on the heritage 130p ?

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube-dobsonian-telescope.html

2 minutes ago, sarahsmiffy said:

I believe it is a good scope - it is well regarded.

If one is aiming for the scope for the children or something with aperture yet portable - it is very good solution.

I personally don't like open design in dob telescope (collapsible truss type) and it only accepts 1.25" eyepieces and it has helical focuser (I'm not sure if I would like that) - but that is just me.

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

No you can't. In some circumstances you can do it via tilting secondary only but in general case, even with spherical primary - you would need to move secondary or tilt focuser to get proper alignment.

But you haven’t had any issues with not being able to collimate it have you ?

im considering this scope so just wondered

1 minute ago, sarahsmiffy said:

But you haven’t had any issues with not being able to collimate it have you ?

im considering this scope so just wondered

As far as I can tell - only skywatcher smaller models that come with new mounts don't have collimation screws on the back - all other models do.

In fact, so far, there has been couple of models of 130mm scopes by skywatcher 130/130M (old model F/7 said to have spherical mirror), SW 130P - one with parabolic mirror - F/5 scope - same as Heritage dob, SW 130PDS - that is photographic model with 2" focuser and 10:1 microfocusing and latest 130PS.

Out of all of those - only 130PS seems not to have collimation screws.

Same goes for smaller newtonian and Skymax 102 (maksutov). I recently purchased Skymax 102 for myself but did not want to go for bundled model because of that - I purchased scope and AzGTI mount separately and got regular scope that can be collimated. It was a bit more expensive than bundled option

I wanted to suggest that as an option for you, but it seems that 130P is not sold as OTA (optical tube assembly only) and Az-Eq pronto is not sold separately in UK. You can get that mount from TS in Germany but it would probably be better to purchase locally where you can get good customer service.

20 minutes ago, johninderby said:

John thank you. I’ll check it out.

What are your views on this, bear in mind I am a beginner.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube-dobsonian-telescope.html

I have kindly been gifted a scope by a SGL member nearby to get started.

20 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The Heritage 130 is a nice little scope not just for beginners but still liked by more experienced observers as a little grab’n’go scope

Sit it on a table top or can also be fitted to a photo tripod.

Edited by johninderby

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

The Heritage 130 is a nice little scope not just for beginners but still liked by more experienced observers as a little grab’n’go scope

Thank you. Much appreciated.

ill starting saving for one. 

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

Sorry to be a pain but could you please link me a photo tripod this would be suitable for ? Sorry

On 14/04/2020 at 17:01, sarahsmiffy said:

Great photos !!!

If you want to dabble in a bit of of astro photography, the 150PDS  would be a good starting point with visual in mind, you could do the same to a degree with the 150P, just photography can be a little more difficult, as I said the mount can be upgraded, though a more substantial mount would be advised if want to do photography later.

If it is only visual undriven biggest dob you can afford, 6 or 8" dobs are not that large to use and could do imagery like I have shown, though not really advised as there are very few objects in the night sky you can do it on and it would really get frustrating, you really need to know what your equipment is like;y to produce, that means a good understanding in photography (sorry if you already are)

You can mount a dslr to either the P or PDS version of the Sky Watchers, the PDS version is more practical for photography due the focal plane being slightly further back.

P.S. glad you them, just wanted to show you don't need £1,000's just patiences and understanding of what your doing, still much to be said about old school photography.