Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

StellaMira 85mm

alan potts

Just ordered a StellaMira 85mm triplet to use with both my OSC camera, the 183mc and the 071. I am sort of hoping it will lift my imaging to the next level as the spec seems impressive and I can get away with spending 1400 quid where as a nice Tak, which I really want, would be ordered to the sound of knives being sharpened. So when it comes I will do a report on the scope and post it up. May well order the reducer at a later date too.

I have asked for clouds to be left out of the box, weather not been good of late out here.

Alan

• Like 3

Well you’ve gone and done it now. Clouds for everyone. 😁

Congratulations on the new scope. Impressed with my StellaMira and look forward to seeing how you get on with yours. Have a feeling it may be uncomfortably close in performance to a Tak than Tak owners would like. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alan potts said:

...I can get away with spending 1400 quid where as a nice Tak, which I really want, would be ordered to the sound of knives being sharpened. ...

Alan

Surely a Tak is worth a kilogram or two of flesh, or so the afficinardos tell me.

Regards Andrew 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Well you’ve gone and done it now. Clouds for everyone. 😁

Congratulations on the new scope. Impressed with my StellaMira and look forward to seeing how you get on with yours. Have a feeling it may be uncomfortably close in performance to a Tak than Tak owners would like. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Lol, I doubt that very much.... 😉 but still good all the same....

Edited by Stuart1971

Look forward to seeing how you like it Alan. Seems like a great spec scope which I’m sure will be excellent. Have though about one as a compact travel scope at some point, although being a triplet makes it perhaps a little heavier than needed for that. Perfect for imaging though I expect.

• Like 1

I wanted a scope around the 550mm F/l and this is only 10mm adrift. The SW 100mm Esprit would be on the money but for me with that there's so much is wasted, Finder, Diagonal, maybe even an eyepiece, none of which I want or need. The SW is that bit faster though which I have had to forego. As is about the norm weather around new scopes, this week whilst it is being shipped, clear every night, no doubt heavy rain next week. The only good thing is the Moon is about, should really try the Dob out now I can. I stopped using it last year with my prostate issues and not being able to go out in the cold, now I've had an operation and all is much much better the poor thing has not seen light for almost 15 months.   

Alan

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

The 80mm f/10 and loving using it. Great build quality and noticablely better optics than the Skywatcher ED80.

Thank you for that John, now I recall reading your write up, you were in with a purchase right as the start of play, pleased you are happy.

Alan

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

FLO mentioned that ES Reid found the StellaMira scopes to have more consistant quality control than the Esprit scopes and very few needed any adjusting. 

Looks like I made the correct call then John, I am sure the Esprit range is very good indeed but it is the cost of extra like I have mentioned that I personally feel many of us just do not want, It's a shame they don't do a stripped down version just the scope, let's face it that's all most of us want in the imaging camp. I have 3 TeleVue diagonals, what would i want with a SW.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The StellaMira objective has FPL53, FPL51 and a Lanthium element whereas the Esprit has one FPL53 and two unkown elements. Should give the StellaMira the edge optically. 

The SW diagonal is a basic dielectric one and while better than the typical cheapie ones included with a lot of scopes not the best. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
15 hours ago, Neil27 said:

@alan potts have you managed to image with the Stella mira 85mm at all, interested to know your thoughts?

I did manage a number of images with is though there was clearly a problem with the scope, centre was razor sharp but diagonally edges in one axis now so. We believed the focuser was sagging a little though I am not so sure myself. It was sold on this as a strong point and to me seemed odd it should be letting it down. It was a well made scope and looked quality. I wish now I had tried a sleeve in the focuser to see if it helped. It was returned and FLO did not have another to replace it with, I was very disappointed as it promised so much, FLO were first rate about it all and I received a full refund. In view of mine being at the very start of a run I imagine these things happen. Still want a scope in this F/L range but now with UK leaving the EU I guess I just soldier on with what I have.

Alan