Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

UPS - Can’t Find Package

johninderby

1 hour ago, Stuart1971 said:

Actually that is a good point, I have had telescopes and certain accessories refused by DPD and other couriers, but how many people actually state exactly what is in the package, as telescope equipment is one of the things on many couriers prohibited list...they will sometimes ship it, but it won’t be insured... 🤔

I shipped it insured for loss but uninsured for damage. I spent a lot of time and effort on packaging! The mirror would have survived most things thrown at it.

Had I lied about the content then presumably even the loss insurance would have been invalid.

All the couriers have similar ‘at your own risk items’, but DPD refused to accept the shipment even at my own risk, UPS would do it so were my only option.

Having said that, my default option for everything else is DPD now, their service has always been excellent. Yodel avoid like the plague since they failed to deliver flowers on Valentine’s Day, leaving a card through the door very quietly when I was sitting within 15 feet of it.

• Like 2

I had a UPS delivery from Germany which arrived on Tuesday. It wasn't a UPS van though, just an unmarked transit. Maybe they are spread a bit thin or short of drivers?

Also had a delivery via DHL this week. I got a helpful text with an estimated time of arrival and on their website could see I was delivery no 68, and what number the driver was at so far.

Much better. At least this time.

Yodel are also on the bottom of any list for me, I ordered a small tool for my metal lathe work, got an email to say it was delivered. I was home, sitting down having a coffee with my nephew when the email arrived. Checked the front door, no package, got in touch with yodel, they said they’ll check with the driver when he gets back. Four hours later I get another email stating again it’s been delivered! Went on webchat with yodel, they said that the driver delivered it down a lane to a cottage, well I live in a first floor flat which ain’t in any lane, and it’s certainly not a cottage. 
I now check as to which courier sellers use before I decide on purchase.

I was a postman in the eighties, nineties, also I worked for Panic Link Parcels in the early noughties. It very much down to the delivery driver to ensure your parcel or packet gets to the correct address, but mistakes happen, they’re only hooomun after all.

chaz

• Like 2

Hermes here used to be shockingly terrible, but have improved immensely. I think 90% of this was down to the local agent.

They used to leave my packages at random addresses in town and the surprise recipients would find our house and bring them to me. Still amazed at that.

The best was when the former Hermes courier delivered one small parcel and said 'I have your other one in the van, but you didn't request the faster delivery option, so I can't give it to you now' and marched away.

She waited a week, and sent it to me via second class Royal Mail.

Now 'new and improved' Hermes sends texts with a delivery slot time and safe place option like DPD and the old agent is, not surprisingly, gone off to spread their joy elsewhere 🤣 

That being said, all the the delivery drivers and posties I know work very hard and are always moving at Mach 2.

• Like 1

UPS still insists my package is on it’s way despite not being able to tell me where it is and no tracking updates and being nearly a week late. 

Arrrrrrrrgh 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Edited by johninderby
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Gents, can we just keep things factual and not defamatory. Thank you.

.. and remember that delivery drivers are out there, probably with increased workloads, stress and risk, when most of us are sat safely at home  😉 

Helen

• Like 5

It seems that the package went missing in their depot.  Not the fault of the driver and my complaint is with their customer services who have been no help at all. 

Edited by johninderby

32 minutes ago, johninderby said:

It seems that package went missing in their depot.  Not the fault of the driver and my complaint is with their customer services who have been no help at all. 

I had a large parcel of IR CCTV cameras disappear for a while, back in the late 2000's. They were getting sent to a friend of Denmark and had gone missing for three days.  Turns out it had been left on the Parcel Force depot floor up in Springburn, Glasgow..  As they were an international guaranteed delivery, I got a partial refund, which I then passed on to the friend who'd been inconvenienced.

Late 1994, when I lived up in Glasgow, I sent a parcel down to England via Parcel Force 48 tracked delivery.  That got mis-sorted for a few days, then appeared at the recipient's address minus some contents and yellow electrical tape around it.  I had packaged it up with strong parcel tape, that had been cut through with a sharp knife.  The Post Office Investigation Branch investigated it at the time, but there was no favourable outcome.  That's specifics for you...

ps: I worked for Home Delivery Network for 2 weeks in October 2007, before it became Yodel.  I was an agency driver and I can tell you that the target back then was a minimum of 90 packages to be delivered everyday. The only was that was achievable was to break the speed limit, something that I wasn't prepared to do!  Again, that's first hand specifics, not hearsay.

Edited by Guest
grammar

I think the drivers do a nearly impossible job under tremendous time pressure. Wouldn’t want to do their job.

UPS lost tracking of my package a week ago so how long before it’s declared lost. Just glad it’s nothing expensive. If they searched the depot it would probably turn up but they’re probably too busy to do that.

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

I think the drivers do a nearly impossible job under tremendous time pressure. Wouldn’t want to do their job.

UPS lost tracking of my package a week ago so how long before it’s declared lost. Just glad it’s nothing expensive. If they searched the depot it would probably turn up but they’re probably too busy to do that.

They are rushed off their feet, at the best of times.  The vast majority of drivers are hard working and care about their deliveries.  Many of them are on what used to be called the minimum wage.  I don't envy their job one bit, especially just now!

10 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

We have this sign on our door:

IMG_20200401_143759229.thumb.jpg.d79d2dfd2b0a53e1c08b39c74c4a378b.jpg

Clapping doesn't sound quite the same with rubber gloves on...😜

Edited by Guest

48 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

I had a large parcel of IR CCTV cameras disappear for a while, back in the late 2000's. They were getting sent to a friend of Denmark and had gone missing for three days.  Turns out it had been left on the Parcel Force depot floor up in Springburn, Glasgow..  As they were an international guaranteed delivery, I got a partial refund, which I then passed on to the friend who'd been inconvenienced.

Late 1994, when I lived up in Glasgow, I sent a parcel down to England via Parcel Force 48 tracked delivery.  That got mis-sorted for a few days, then appeared at the recipient's address minus some contents and yellow electrical tape around it.  I had packaged it up with strong parcel tape, that had been cut through with a sharp knife.  The Post Office Investigation Branch investigated it at the time, but there was no favourable outcome.  That's specifics for you...

ps: I worked for Home Delivery Network for 2 weeks in October 2007, before it became Yodel.  I was an agency driver and I can tell you that the target back then was a minimum of 90 packages to be delivered everyday. The only was that was achievable was to break the speed limit, something that I wasn't prepared to do!  Again, that's first hand specifics, not hearsay.

Specifics yes, but interesting that there is nothing within the last decade. Systems and companies have changed beyond recognition in that time.

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

Specifics yes, but interesting that there is nothing within the last decade. Systems and companies have changed beyond recognition in that time.

CBR checks, better tracking, GPS, etc.👍  I have a long memory, my bad.☹️

Edited by Guest

UPS is in urgent need of upgrading their website and customer service and should offer a one hour delivery window. The competition such as DPD are offering a level of service that is becomming expected nowadays. Complacency on UPSs part perhaps. Inertia of a big company. 🤔

Shocking ratings on Trustpilot.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/ups.com/gb

Edited by johninderby

5 hours ago, johninderby said:

Now put in a PayPal claim with the seller. Wonder if the item will now mysteriously appear. 🤔😁

I think that during current circumstances you need to be a tad more patient, after all, these delivery drivers are keeping many of us from going stir crazy, being stuck inside, at least we can buy new toys to play with.... 👍😀

Fo me they are bringing DIY supplies ☹️

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

I think that during current circumstances you need to be a tad more patient, after all, these delivery drivers are keeping many of us from going stir crazy, being stuck inside, at least we can buy new toys to play with.... 👍😀

Fo me they are bringing DIY supplies ☹️

You are missing the point. Nothing to do with the driver they have lost the package in one of their depots and haven’t done anything about it for a week. It's the total lack of customer service that’s the problem. Not even a “we’re looking for it” acknowledgement. No excuses for this lack of service. 

There are several things that I've ordered that are yet to show up. In one case I've been warned of a delay. In the others I assume that the current circumstances are causing all sorts of problems for both the companies I ordered from and the delivery agents. Probably both.

I'm owned a couple of refunds on other things which will be processed in due course but are taking much longer than normal because the companies involved are short staffed and completely snowed under with other similar transactions.

These are unprecedented times. We have food in the house and are currently healthy. Everything else does does not matter right now in my opinion.

I think companies have every excuse for a lack of service but many are still managing something despite the odds.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, johninderby said:

You are missing the point. Nothing to do with the driver they have lost the package in one of their depots and haven’t done anything about it for a week. It's the total lack of customer service that’s the problem. Not even a “we’re looking for it” acknowledgement. No excuses for this lack of service. 

Perhaps as others have said, staff shortages, difficulties of operating under the current circumstances mean that things might be a tad more difficult than normal. Very easy to sit at home complaining without knowing just how hard things are out there whether it is the drivers or at the depot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

I’m not missing the point at all, I know it’s not the drivers fault, but the problems are company wide... so take a chill pill..... 🤪🤪

• Like 1

Update:

The shipper (Bresser.de) will now be sending a replacement. They haven’t been able to get any response from UPS after days of trying which you would think being a big customer of UPS they would get.

Anyway the people at Bresser have been really helpfull so top marks to them. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 3

Well done Bresser for acting so quickly!

I assume that consumer law is the same all over the EU but, certainly in the UK, it's the retailer that's responsible for delivery of a package not the parcels company.  If it doesn't turn up within a reasonable time it's up to the retailer to replace or refund.  

Quite a few companies try to get round this in their terms and conditions, but they wouldn't be able to enforce it.  It would make for a lot of hassle though.

I will deal with such companies only if I couldn't buy the product elsewhere.  This is one of the reasons I use FLO as my first port of call for astro purchases.