Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Do you ever plan to go south over the summer months?

gilesco

I was wondering whether people travel south during the summer months and take their Astro gear with them so as to get more Astronomical twilight (and perhaps less cold viewing).

I have searched online for possible holidays on the Spanish mainland and see that some places seem to cater for some sort of Astronomy, but a lot of it looks like structured classes / tutorials, rather than catering for someone turning up with a telescope and expecting to set up somewhere near the accomodation.

Not wanting to fly, we would probably look at taking a car ferry if we did this, with the Astro gear in the boot of the car.

Anyone have experiences like this to share? Good idea, bad idea? comments welcome!

I go to the Massif Central in France as much because of it's low population and therefore low light pollution as darker nights or warmth.

Even going to the south coast of England will give you darker nights

Edited by haitch
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, haitch said:

I go to the Massif Central in France as much because of it's low population and therefore low light pollution as darker nights or warmth.

Even going to the south coast of England will give you darker nights

I'm at 50.42 latitude, so already exhausted the going south within the UK idea!!

We've driven down to stay in the Charente Maritime for a couple of weeks summer holiday many times over the last dozen years or so.  I've always found space in the car for some astro kit.

James

La Palma west coast was nice n dark when i did it c18 years ago.  what its like now u dont know.    it was so dark just off from my hotel that i nearly walked over the cliff edge! 

• Like 1

This may sound daft, but.... I'm not sure that I would want to go on holiday to a *really* dark site. Let me explain. When I lived in Ruislip I *knew* that my skies were rubbish so going on holiday to a dark site didn't make me too dissatisfied with my home there, especially as I was intending to move. However, now I'm living in a reasonably dark site, going to a dark, dark site *would* make me dissatisfied and possibly unhappy. Illogical? Possibly, but now if I go on holiday I won't be considering how dark the skies are, or if it's the dark of the moon.

• Like 1

I always try and smuggle a scope into the car when we go on holiday to Cornwall or wherever, and I spend most observing time on holiday in the summer trying to make the most of the dso's in Sagittarius.

I've never been abroad to observe other than if you count Jersey and Guernsey and they are good in their own right.