Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Does anyone image double stars?

Alan White

It's a good question to ask.     Imagers try to get a 'good shot'   ie....  variety of interest, texture, colour  etc .  Visual observers focus on the main event centred in the middle of their eyepiece.

Most doubles are going to be close and hence you limit the FOV and  consequently the surrounding star field.   Relative brightness may appear differently in an image as opposed to the visual due to the differing sensitivities of the eyeball  and the CCD.   Colour  perception, I imagine is a subjective thing to visual observers whereas  stacking, stretching, post processing can do all  manner of things to the 'colour' of a pixel.

If I were to image more doubles, I would chose nice wide, colourful pairs.......    like Albireo........

1264841217_ALBIREO-5x5secxLRGBcolorPS.thumb.jpg.7ed70f9ee32f556462bd50db0059851e.jpg

5x5 second LRGB   with a 150mm F4 Newtonian.

Edited by Craney
  • Like 2

What a brilliant thing to do! I really hope this brings out of the woodwork those who have a secret passion for double stars, and yet love to image. And you've got the flame in your image just as an extra treat. :thumbsup: 

I don't image, but I could see myself getting interested in this!

• Like 1

I have done this in the past.

Mostly Afocal . The advantage of doing it this way is the ability to vary the magnification. I think the closet pair I did were around 2-3".

Most of my images I posted in the double star section of the forum.

I plan to start again soon.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

I've got another one actually - this one's a quintuple system in the middle of the Rosette:

quintuple.PNG.b82dddea1c9f9bd390fdbb5fc7a982b3.PNG

I think we imagers tend to capture them by accident though - according to Wikipedia, about 1/3 of the stars in our galaxy are multiple systems, so I've captured hundreds of them  🙂