Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Backyard eos or apt

Nova2000

Hi everyone

I felt the need to go for a proper capture software for astrophotography now .

I have tried both Backyard eos and astrophotography tool but can't make up my mind .

My observations were .

Backyard eos is easy to use and can get shooting fast .

Astrophotography tool is future proof as it can be used with ccd cameras ,do plate solving etc but is a little bit complicated. Bit cheaper than backyard eos 

What would you recommend?

I use a dslr at the moment 

Cheers

• Like 1

Think you have answered your own question if you want future proofing with the ability to use ccd then APT is your answer.

Plate Solving makes a huge difference when finding targets.

Yes it might seem complicated at first but with practice it soon becomes easier to use.

• Like 2

APT is the best astro software for the beginner. Even advanced users still use it. And as you say, cheaper than BYE.

A little bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of its excellent.

When you get a bit more confident you can set up for platesolving:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/334568-setting-up-platesolving-in-astrophotography-tool-apt/

• Like 2

APT for me too, once set up and configured to your equipment it just seems to work everytime for me. If you have any issues you can always ask on here or the APT forum you will quickly get an answer. I've never used Backyard EOS so can't comment on it.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

APT is the best astro software for the beginner. Even advanced users still use it. And as you say, cheaper than BYE.

A little bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of its excellent.

When you get a bit more confident you can set up for platesolving:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/334568-setting-up-platesolving-in-astrophotography-tool-apt/

I absolutely agree.

Actually I am not too sure there is much of a learning curve, I am no computer guru but seemed to pick it up pretty quickly, if not there is a good help file that comes with it and lots of folk on this forum that use it to help you out if you get stuck.

As for the plate solving this revolutionised my imaging. It makes it so easy to make sure you have the perfect framing of your target.

From what I remember there is a free version and the paid version you get a few extras, actually not a lot extra as unlike most software all the essential tools are available in the free version, BUT the cost is so little (around £16 first year then around £5 a year) I felt it rude not to pay for the full version as it is updated and imroved several times a year and seems so little for a magnificent piece of software.

As you can tell I cannot recommend it more.

Steve

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Good choice.. I've been using APT for at least 10 years, since version 1.91, it has come a very long way and I'm not looking to change using it anytime soon. I wouldn't call it "only for beginners" anymore either.