NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi! From Hertfordshire UK

Bryan_D

Hi Bryan and a warm welcome from me too.  As another has said, a Moon filter is not essential or even necessary, but I do find it helps with surface detail and contrast, that's a personal observation.  The ND (Neutral Density) filters are the best, the most suitable one I find is the one that gives 13% light transmission.  Try the Moon without to start with and see how you get on.  Clear skies!

16 hours ago, Mick H said:

Hi Brian, and welcome.

We used to live near Hemel Hempstead. Asheridge Estate or Ivinghoe Beacon near Berkhamsted is a great place.

Might be a bit of a drive though.

Hi Mick, thanks very much. I think I’ve been to Ivanhoe Beacon if it’s near Dunstable Downs? I also fly dual line sport kites as another hobby and I’m often on the Downs. Sounds like flying in the afternoon and then pulling out my scope when it gets dark might be the way forward! 

16 hours ago, Sunshine said:

A warm welcome to the lounge from Canada, Bryan, have fun with your scope and, fill us in on what you've seen.

Hi Sunshine, thanks for the welcome and I certainly will. How “warm” is your welcome really though coming from Canada! ❄️

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

Hi Bryan, and a very warm welcome to the Lounge :)

Steve

Thanks sloz1664!

3 hours ago, Neil H said:

Hi Bryan the weather is ment to be bad this weekend  I only get to use my telescope at weekends , so may have to to armchair astronomy and read my books 

There a free course on future learn it's about moons starts 17 Feb 

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/orion/6/register?return=d4ccwmps

Hi Neil H, just typical isn’t it! You’re right though, there’s much to be learnt from books when clear sky is shy. Cheers for the heads up the course, I’ll take a look.👀

2 hours ago, Xsubmariner said:

Hi Bryan,

Welcome to SGL. If you are not already a member of an Astronomy club may I recommend you find your local group and join, many are free or relatively cheap.  This is a great hobby, only spoilt by the weather.

Hi Xsubmariner and thank you! I m not a member of any club yet, but was thinking the same thing. Seems like there’s one near me in Welwyn Garden City.

1 hour ago, rwilkey said:

Hi Bryan and a warm welcome from me too.  As another has said, a Moon filter is not essential or even necessary, but I do find it helps with surface detail and contrast, that's a personal observation.  The ND (Neutral Density) filters are the best, the most suitable one I find is the one that gives 13% light transmission.  Try the Moon without to start with and see how you get on.  Clear skies!

Thank you rwilkey! I’ll give it a go beforehand and see. I think a lot of my initial viewing will be Lunar as it’s the obvious attraction for newbies to learn their scope a bit. Interesting about the ND filters and I’ll bear that in mind if I find I do need one.

6 hours ago, Bryan_D said:

Hi Mick, thanks very much. I think I’ve been to Ivanhoe Beacon if it’s near Dunstable Downs? I also fly dual line sport kites as another hobby and I’m often on the Downs. Sounds like flying in the afternoon and then pulling out my scope when it gets dark might be the way forward! 

Yeah thats the one.

Flying in the afternoon and then pulling out your scope when it gets dark 🤪 whats not to like.

Treat your kite like you treat your lady, get hold of her twice a day, and take her to heaven and back. 😉

Edited by Mick H

10 hours ago, Neil H said:

Hi Bryan the weather is ment to be bad this weekend  I only get to use my telescope at weekends , so may have to to armchair astronomy and read my books 

There a free course on future learn it's about moons starts 17 Feb 

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/orion/6/register?return=d4ccwmps

Neil, I’ve just had a look at this course and it looks really informative. Think I’ll sign up for the Orion one first and do the one on moons after. You going for it?

Bryan your have to be quick for it to be free if you pay your have more time , there are some great courses on that site ,I see the wind is picking up bummer , I may just strip down my EQ3-2 mount clean and regrease over the weekend , this is the norm get a new Telescope and you can't use it for weeks roll on the summer

Edited by Neil H

13 hours ago, Bryan_D said:

Neil, I’ve just had a look at this course and it looks really informative. Think I’ll sign up for the Orion one first and do the one on moons after. You going for it?

Hi Bryan 🙂 

Lovely mentors on the current futurelearn Orion course 😉  You can also access it via OpenLearn which has no time constraints, but no mentor/other learner interaction.  https://www.open.edu/openlearn/comment/26597

Have Fun!

Helen

1 minute ago, Neil H said:

Thanks Helen great course waiting for the moon one to start 

Thanks Neil, lovely group on the Orion course so its been fun.  I'm thinking of joining the Moon course as a student!

Helen

Looking good!  It is well worth spending some time in the light (and warm) getting familiar with the scope.  Learn how the focuser works, see how the different eyepieces change view.  Then I suggest you align the red dot finder - you'll only be able to do it roughly indoors -  get a recognisable object in the scope and then adjust the red dot until that is over the thing you see in the centre of the scope eyepiece.  Learning to use an equatorial mount takes a bit of practice (like clutch control on a car!), so I suggest to start just watch the red dot finder as you use the slow motion controls - you'll see the movement isn't simple up and down!  Experiment....

But have fun!  

Helen

• Thanks 1

My thoughts exactly Helen!  At the moment I’m just trying to work out what all the dials etc are before even going outside with it.

I’ve balanced it as per the instructions in the manual and just trying to get my head around the R.A. and Dec movements etc.

I’m  also learning/reading how to align with Polaris. Once I’ve done my homework, I’ll head out for some practical! Got to learn the basic stuff first. 
Until Storm Ciara lets up, I’ll be sticking to the manual, this forum and the internet!

• Like 1