Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi! From Hertfordshire UK

Bryan_D

Hi all,  I’m Bryan and I just wanted to introduce myself as a newbie on this forum. 
I’m brand new to this amazing hobby and thought I would join a forum of like minded people and learn as much as I can along the way!

I’ve just purchased an introductory scope - Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P to get me started ( it hasn’t even been delivered yet, that’s how green I am)!
Anyway, I look forward to learning from this forum and to chatting with some of you at some point.

First question if I may, do filter lenses generally fit most eyepieces? I’d like to get hold of a lunar lens for my Skyhawk, but the ones I’ve looked at always say they would fit a 1.25” eyepiece. Would that be the right one?

cheers.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Welcome Bryan, great skies in your part of the world, where are you from?

I don't live that way but had a run of work in the north herts/ Cambridge border and used to image in several locations..

Good luck and enjoy

Hi, thanks very much. I’m in Hertford itself and I had been wondering where the best skies were in my area. 
From  what I’ve read, it seems that north of Buntingford seems like a safe bet? Please let me know of any locations you recommend!

49 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Hello Bryan and welcome. Your scope has 1.25" EPs so you would need 1.25" filters but, really, I wouldn't bother with a Moon filter unless you have a real problem with the brightness. You could always use sunglasses 😁

Peter

Hi Peter, thanks very much. Ok, thanks for the heads up. I’ll try without first and as you say, I probably won’t need them. I had read somewhere that they could be quite good for surface contrast? 
The Moon’s going to be a natural starting point for me and amongst other wonders, a never ending one too, I’m sure! 

It was buntingford and Royston that I was working.. when I was in Royston used to go up near the petrol station opposite side of the road to melborn( think that was what it was called)

And when I worked in buntingford there was a little spot nr a little village called wallington.. baldock area..

Fond memories..miss the skies.. 

Hi Bryan I am not far from you at Luton , Orion is an easy one to start with I am new too ,if you go up the 1198 towards Cambridge there is a big layby in the middle of nowhere and the road is dead at night  and the sky is dark really dark get a red light torch so you don't mess you night vision up 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

It was buntingford and Royston that I was working.. when I was in Royston used to go up near the petrol station opposite side of the road to melborn( think that was what it was called)

And when I worked in buntingford there was a little spot nr a little village called wallington.. baldock area..

Fond memories..miss the skies.. 

Yes, I roughly know the place you’re talking about. I’ll give them a try. Thanks for the info! 

3 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Hi Bryan I am not far from you at Luton , Orion is an easy one to start with I am new too ,if you go up the 1198 towards Cambridge there is a big layby in the middle of nowhere and the road is dead at night  and the sky is dark really dark get a red light torch so you don't mess you night vision up 

Thanks Neil, I’ll have a look on Google to see if I can locate it. Any nearby references?

It's the other side of were the go cart track was the layby is on the left , when you get to the roundabout for caxton stay on the 1198 there is a big layby just there on the left but if you pass  it under the road bridge there is a ramp on both sides of the road for the farmer to get in his fields there is a great spot you can drive off the road and set up on the edge of his field and if your hungry go passed that point turn left at the roundabout there is a kebab van  there till late 

Edited by Neil H

Thank you all for the warm welcome and also for those that gave me some locations for viewing, I’ll certainly check them out. 
My Skyhawk arrived today and I’ll be setting it up this weekend, provided it’s not pouring with rain! 🌧

Hi Bryan, welcome to SGL.

hope you’ll enjoy your new scope! I am based in St Albans. I have used a good dark spot between Royston and Duxford a few times. I can recommend. Pm me for details.

Best Regards

Frank

Welcome Bryan - another one Hertfordshire, I’m in Tring so very lucky in terms of Dark sites as I’m surrounded by them. 

You have Bayfordbury Observatory just down the road from you so there may be some sites near there you can access. Also they have open days so we’ll worth a visit. 

38 minutes ago, Froeng said:

Hi Bryan, welcome to SGL.

hope you’ll enjoy your new scope! I am based in St Albans. I have used a good dark spot between Royston and Duxford a few times. I can recommend. Pm me for details.

Best Regards

Frank

Thanks Frank, I’m assembling it on Saturday, which is the first chance I’ll get. Hopefully there be a patch of clear sky, but the weather forecast isn’t filling me with confidence at the moment! I’ll PM for location details, thanks again.

24 minutes ago, wormix said:

Welcome Bryan - another one Hertfordshire, I’m in Tring so very lucky in terms of Dark sites as I’m surrounded by them. 

You have Bayfordbury Observatory just down the road from you so there may be some sites near there you can access. Also they have open days so we’ll worth a visit. 

Thanks wormix, I’m planning a  venture to Tring Astronomy and the Natural History Museum for the little ones at some point, so I’ll keep a butchers out for some potential sites. Please PM me with any you think are good.

I’m very fortunate to live close to the observatory and they do quite a few open days I’ve seen, so will pay them a visit.