Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

Hey everyone

I am very new to everything to do with astronomy/looking through a telescope and I have recently bought my first scope (a 8" dob) which came with a 25mm and a 10mm eyepiece but I am looking to upgrade but don't know what is good.

Any help or advice on what eyepieces I should be looking at buying would be much appreciated (budget is anywhere form 0 to 100 pounds per eyepiece)

25 minutes ago, Space_man said:

Hey everyone

I am very new to everything to do with astronomy/looking through a telescope and I have recently bought my first scope (a 8" dob) which came with a 25mm and a 10mm eyepiece but I am looking to upgrade but don't know what is good.

Any help or advice on what eyepieces I should be looking at buying would be much appreciated (budget is anywhere form 0 to 100 pounds per eyepiece)

Look at BST starguiders. They are very good value.

Steve

• Like 2

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I also have an 8" dob and have purchased the full set ( bar1) of the BST Starguider range. They are a big step up in quality and performance from the standard eye pieces and cost around £45 each. Most members on here highly approve of these eye pieces, And I am very pleased with them all. 

DSC_0436.JPG

The BST range have a good FOV and a soft cap for you to rest your eye to which is also adjustable.

Baz

Just to be sure that it's clear for you BST Starguiders 😉  

Otherwise you could have a look at the Skywatcher Planetaries (for different focal length than BSTs) and if you want something better you could have a look at the Explore scientific 82° range (although they are a bit above your budget... maybe for later or for a focal length you particularly enjoy)

It also matters if you have severe astigmatism in your observing eye.  By severe, I'd say 1.25 cylinder diopters or more (check your prescription for CYL or cylinder).  If so, you may want to observe with eyeglasses at lower powers that create larger exit pupils.  Larger exit pupils reveal more of the eye's astigmatism.  The BST Starguiders are just usable with eyeglasses, except for the 25mm version which is fine with glasses.  FLO (our sponsor) has a nice discount that increases with increasing number of Starguiders bought at once.

You'll probably also want a widest field 30mm to 40mm eyepiece for locating objects before centering them and for viewing larger objects like the Pleiades.  I'd recommend the 35mm Aero ED.  It's not perfect, but it's relatively light, compact, is just usable with eyeglasses, and does fairly well at f/6.

Hey everyone thank you very much for all the replys and help I will deffo check the BST's now 😁

1 minute ago, Space_man said:

Hey everyone thank you very much for all the replys and help I will deffo check the BST's now 😁

Keep in mind that you probably wont need the whole range. For your scope, I would say 5mm (that pushes the power to the max for your scope, won't be usable on every night but when the weather plays ball wow!),8mm and 15mm + the Aero 35mm (or a Skywatcher Panaview 32mm).

You can always buy more later and if you re not in a hurry you should check the used market (astronomers tend to be very careful with their equipment).