Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mesu e200

tooth_dr

This topic comes up from time to time and unfortunately, there is no 'one size fits all' solution as there are too many external variables. In my manual, I show 'Reverse Guide Mode When Looking East (Dec)' and 'Reverse Guide Mode When Looking East (Ra)' both ticked as that is the default recommendation from SiTech but it will not be correct for all combinations of software. For example, my own system has just the Dec ticked BUT in MaxIm DL - which is the software that I use for autoguiding - I also have 'On Pier Flip Reverse X axis' ticked. This is the only combination that worked for me with my particular choice of software.

Unfortunately, it is a permutations game for each installation and in the case of SGPro, there are three sets of variables at play - SGP, PHD and SiTech itself and all three must be working in unison for the flip to work correctly! The good news is that once you have that combination sorted it is fixed for the life of the system which for me makes it worth spending a clear night on to sort once and for all.

Perhaps now is the time to generate a register of working solutions with specific software?

27 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Perhaps now is the time to generate a register of working solutions with specific software?

That's a good idea!  I might do a few screen dumps and keep them in a folder.

I have been experiencing the same problem and reflect your current status. Occasionally after slewing to a new target and post plate solve alignment, SGP restarts PHD2 guiding and after initial settle the mount DEC runs away. The included image shows this and it can been seen whereby after manually stopping and reinitiating PHD guiding the DEC runaway is repeated. This was only stopped and stable guiding reestablished after forcing a PHD calibration.

I need to investigate further to determine the source of the problem, but as I can manually overcome I am focused on resolving other problems with the overall system, post reconfiguration.

I suspect it is a configuration issue between PHD and SiTech 1 controller. Will advise if I identify anything.

584C6B8D-15F9-487C-9A49-C5D0ECA99582.jpeg

I have been experiencing the same problem and reflect your current status. Occasionally after slewing to a new target and post plate solve alignment, SGP restarts PHD2 guiding and after initial settle the mount DEC runs away. The included image shows this and it can been seen whereby after manually stopping and reinitiating PHD guiding the DEC runaway is repeated. This was only stopped and stable guiding reestablished after forcing a PHD calibration.

I need to investigate further to determine the source of the problem, but as I can manually overcome I am focused on resolving other problems with the overall system, post reconfiguration.

I suspect it is a configuration issue between PHD and SiTech 1 controller. Will advise if I identify anything.

35 minutes ago, Xsubmariner said:

Exactly how my PhD graph looks too.  I’ll report back too if I resolve it. Was planning on waiting for a moon lit night. 

Hi all... here are my settings from SITECH, PHD2 and SGPro   maybe they'll help you spot something..  I also wonder if when you get the runaway the scope thinks its pointing the wrong way (East rather than West or vice versa) ..  If I do a manual slew to an object near the meridian (as I did Tuesday night after changing the cameras between the scopes thereby inducing total system failure !) it sometimes goes to the wrong side of the pier and then guiding runs away, so presumably I have something wrong too although it never fails when I just press "Run Sequence"...  so I do that..  

Dave

PHD1.jpg.2e63a18e7460991a445824d3fc6286aa.jpgSitech3.jpg.434c87a5ff9e5dae9546148d6423f35a.jpgSitech2.jpg.7eb63c025bb4b7f344b9751545e8703b.jpgSGPro3.jpg.2b800da943db0f1560b3faa072816e25.jpgSGPro1.jpg.0a56f85848e344d25b3cb19edf9e615d.jpgSGPro2.jpg.a63f2830e682a54e31bcfc6da0e320a5.jpg

Sitech1.jpg

• Like 3

Hi, jaspalchadha,

I have the latest SiTech controller software ver .94 NWin

Hi Laurin Dave, your SiTech settings appear to be for the nonE MESU 200 with SiTech II controller. The new MESU with through mount cabling doesn’t have the shaft encoder so our Scope encoder settings are left in the default setting. Otherwise my settings reflect your setup.   May I ask if you tick the Box “Declination axis has high-precision encoder (a few high-end mounts)” in the mount page of the PHD2 setup wizard?

thanks Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is packed away for the summer but this is the one thing I had issues with when first setting it up.

I use the latest version of the Sitech software, PHD2 and SGP 

I had to try various combinations of reversal after flip in SGP, PHD2 and Sitech to get it to work and it was a bit of a faff - I also had to increase the underpole and overpole settings from memory although I cant remember why! I have never touched it since!!!!!

If you get really stuck I will drag it out of hibernation and send you the relevant screen dumps.

It still feels like witchcraft when it platesolves, flips, platesolves, adjusts, starts PHD2 and carries on like nothing happened 😉 

50 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

It still feels like witchcraft when it platesolves, flips, platesolves, adjusts, starts PHD2 and carries on like nothing happened 😉 

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" Arthur C Clarke .

Regards Andrew 

• Like 4

Well I'm now in the club :) Think I got the last one of the first batch. Planning to build my own bent pier - I'll start a thread in the DIY section for that. 

Have it setup next to me on the desk so I'm about to have a go with the Sitech softwear - fingers crossed

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, SamAndrew said:

Well I'm now in the club :) Think I got the last one of the first batch. Planning to build my own bent pier - I'll start a thread in the DIY section for that. 

Have it setup next to me on the desk so I'm about to have a go with the Sitech softwear - fingers crossed

Welcome Sam... you'll love it!  Nice bike too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SamAndrew said:

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

Funny I noticed today MA was out of stock!  Health to enjoy.   The black surface is a total dust magnet. 

• Like 1

Counter weights have been the hold up! bought the mount just before we went into lock down, but have been waiting on the counter weights; Bernard was able to get hold of one last week which should be enough to use with my Quattro8s to start with while we wait for Geoptik to deliver 2 more.

1 hour ago, SamAndrew said:

Counter weights have been the hold up! bought the mount just before we went into lock down, but have been waiting on the counter weights; Bernard was able to get hold of one last week which should be enough to use with my Quattro8s to start with while we wait for Geoptik to deliver 2 more.

Decent yeah he came to pick that one up from me. I only needed four in the end 

When you get the Geoptik counterweights its worth giving them a couple of coats of clear varnish - they soon rust if you don't 😞  They shouldn't at that price - but they do or at least mine did and that's in a dehumidified obsy!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

When you get the Geoptik counterweights its worth giving them a couple of coats of clear varnish - they soon rust if you don't 😞  They shouldn't at that price - but they do or at least mine did and that's in a dehumidified obsy!

So did ours in the south of France. Hopeless chrome.

Olly

6 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

The price of counterweights on higher grade mounts are astronomical (sorry for the pun). I required some extra weights and a shorted counterweight bar for my Avalon. I decided to have them made at a local toolmakers. They were manufactured from stainless steel, of high quality, at a much lower cost and will not rust.

Steve

• Like 3

Playing with my pier design - current idea is to build a large wedge and then a triangluar extension using flat steel plates. Rendered with a Quattro 8, but there should be enough space for a 12" newt I believe.

Mesu200_2020-May-10_09-22-42PM-000_CustomizedView52661394089.thumb.png.783c03e39f1d14cdcd6b761baaaf9a52.png

Mesu200_2020-May-10_09-19-58PM-000_CustomizedView15825630056.thumb.png.237387c52af2e6f05e292a28721546dd.png

Mesu200_2020-May-10_09-21-38PM-000_CustomizedView18311023348.thumb.png.8e8aca96b2dc8cf547e3d1cfaf79c062.png

Mesu200_2020-May-10_09-28-11PM-000_CustomizedView6391689052.thumb.png.0f84ba34c46d1ad4845b98ff7bf6b7e9.png

Edited by SamAndrew