Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Had my first dark sky session tonight! WOW... warning: rambling post

MKHACHFE

OK...well, where to start?

We are in the middle of nowhere outside a small village at the north end of the Brecon Beacons (Hay-on-Wye), near the border with Wales.

Instantly, going straight from the bright reception into the garden, I could see the milky way. Not much structure, but unmissable. So far so good.

Let me say right now, to any other newbies like me, the guys who say not to bother with the scope on your first dark sky night...are 100% right. To be honest, I spent more time just staring through my 9x50 finder than the eyepieces. 

How dark was it? I had no way of taking at reading, but it was hard to see the clouds that occasionally passed by overhead. So I guess, pretty dark, even though there was definite light glow towards the more populated UK. Still, incredible difference between my this and my B5-6 garden at home. 

What did I look at...Ok, i started with M42, but that didn't blow my mind to be honest. Maybe because I had to look at it through a tree. I tried my Astronomik UHC on it and it was as gorgeous as ever. I'm sure it would have been awesome if I had persevered, but frankly, I had bigger fish to fry. 

Next were the double clusters in Perseus/Cass... My mind fuse blew. First off, I could clearly see them with the naked eye, which was very very cool, but through the eyepiece, it was so RICH with stars. They were like little diamonds. So beautiful. 

I tried a few other OC's in that area, all of which were so much better than at home. OC's usually bore me and I rarely bother to look at them at home. Here thought, they were all vibrant and interesting.

I could see M44 (Beehive OC) very clearly with the naked eye, which was incredible to me. I found it so alien (and awesome) to see so many fuzzy areas in the sky by eye.

Of course, M31 was clearly visible and for the first time, I managed to see some faint detail. But it was getting too low in the sky at this point. I wanted to try for M33, but a tree was in the way sadly. 

I then swivelled my XT8 to try to find M101, which I did...but wow, it was faint. Very very very faint fuzzy, but definitely there. I'm happy I saw it. 

C6, the Cat's Eye Nebula was very bright and lovely. As was NGC 5466, the Snow Globe Cluster. 

That's all I saw because as I said, I was too busy with my neck craned, looking up. It was just so beautiful. And yes, there were a few times when I couldn't instantly make out some constellations due to the surrounding stars. I would estimate naked eye limit to be 5.5-6 (at a pinch)...far better than my 4.5 at home. 

Was it worth the 4.5 hour drive? Yes! And a great learning curve for sure. Now I know what to expect and will plan my session better next time.

To be honest, I stayed on the patio outside the room we stayed in most of the night for a few reasons. Mainly, because I was concerned about waking other guests and the landlord and I was very aware of every tiny noise I was making when I was viewing from the main patio area out back, which was super dark. So I moved the scope to our personal patio, which unfortunately meant a bit of light coming from the bedroom through the curtains. It also meant a more limited view. But at least I could move about with no worry about any noise I might be making. 

Sadly, dew was a big issue and I had a dew heater attached to a USB power brick, but that died and the dew got bad enough to make me just use my eyes. 

All in all, I'm very happy with how it all went and I'm sure the next time will be even better.

To anyone who has not gone to a dark site....GO!

A few bullet points:

- No zodiacal light visible (I wasn't expecting to see it)

- Not much structure (if any tbh) visible in the MW

- MW bright but not like anything seen in pictures

- Weather was a bit hit and miss. Crystal clear one minute then bit of cloud for 10-15 mins.

- All Ursa Minor stars visible by eye easily.

- M31 easily visible by eye

- Area around Cass/Perseus was the richest

- I would say 5.5 to maximum 6 magnitude naked eye stars.

- Lots of weird noises from all the bushes and plants and one big rat running passed scared the check out of me. Maybe it wasn't a rat..it was dark.

- We booked this room at 4pm on Friday once the weather was pretty set. It was absolutely last minute. But worth it. Plus a night away with the wife to a lovely country retreat is always nice .

Sorry for the ramble...

Cheers

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Great report, not rambling at all, just full of enthusiasm!!

It can be very confusing when there are so many stars that the constellations don't stand out as clearly. Your estimates sound about right, the crazy thing is that's still quite a long way off the best skies there are!

Hope you get more chances soon.

• Like 3

Sounds wonderful,

I know the skies in this area as had family near hear until last year when the last one died, have had the wonder of these skies for 30+ years and it still made me say wow each first night.

As you say so much better that poorer home skies, but don’t let it make home skies get ignored, you can still blow your socks off observing in poorer skies.

Thank you for sharing the experience, made me smile at a time of not being in a place to bring many smiles.

• Like 3

Lovely, uplifting report..thanks!

After what seems like almost 5 months now of endless rain, cloud and dampness, it was great to be reminded of a black, clear sky overhead.

I hope you get many more of them..😊👍

Dave

• Like 2