Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Liveview on canon 1100D only a second....... Arrgh...!!!

kirkster501

Hi all, I cannot seem to get liveview on my DSLR Canon to stay on for over a second or so. 

Liveview starts, displays on the camera screen but then stops after a second.  I have turned off auto power down which is the oft cited reason.  Noting I do will make the screen stay on so I can focus on a star.

Any ideas please?

Incidentally, liveview starts with APT but that also cuts out after a second as well ands disconnects the camera.

Camera is powered by mains adapter and otherwise works perfectly.

At my wits end, any ideas please?

Thanks, Steve

1 hour ago, kirkster501 said:

Hi all, I cannot seem to get liveview on my DSLR Canon to stay on for over a second or so. 

Liveview starts, displays on the camera screen but then stops after a second.  I have turned off auto power down which is the oft cited reason.  Noting I do will make the screen stay on so I can focus on a star.

Any ideas please?

Incidentally, liveview starts with APT but that also cuts out after a second as well ands disconnects the camera.

Camera is powered by mains adapter and otherwise works perfectly.

At my wits end, any ideas please?

Thanks, Steve

May possibly be the adapter fitting not being seated well enough and perhaps not making a good enough contact. I always had problems with mine, I seem to remember. Just an idea. Oh, try it not connected to your computer, see if that makes any difference.

Louise

Hi guys, thanks, yeah I am using camera standalone and also have done multiple factory resets..... 

I have the camera on M mode, BULB, F2.0, ISO 800 with lens on Manual.  Liveview set to enabled.  So all set correctly as far as I can tell.  Definitely used to work with Liveview.  Will try some way out things like the lens etc to see if thats causing it.

May check into the firmware as well.

I need to get this going because want to get into whole constellation photography as well.

16 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Hi guys, thanks, yeah I am using camera standalone and also have done multiple factory resets..... 

I have the camera on M mode, BULB, F2.0, ISO 800 with lens on Manual.  Liveview set to enabled.  So all set correctly as far as I can tell.  Definitely used to work with Liveview.  Will try some way out things like the lens etc to see if thats causing it.

May check into the firmware as well.

I need to get this going because want to get into whole constellation photography as well.

Hi, does the LCD display shut down as well during this "timeout" or is it just when its in liveview mode? as there are settings in the menu somewhere to keep the camera and LCD alive. The live view also has a setting for metering timer if my memory is correct which could also have an impact.. The other possibility is low voltage from the adapter, have you tried running off batteries?

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

3 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Hi, does the LCD display shut down as well during this "timeout" or is it just when its in liveview mode? as there are settings in the menu somewhere to keep the camera and LCD alive. The live view also has a setting for metering timer if my memory is correct which could also have an impact.. The other possibility is low voltage from the adapter, have you tried running off batteries?

Alan

Thanks Alan, the batteries idea is next on my list.  I will be disappointed if that's the case though since I only just bought the mains adapter to save me swapping batteries constantly

Yes, the LCD shuts down during the timeout as well.  I will investigate that thought.  I played with thre metering timer but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Can't do anything on this today as working on my car later and then off to my GF's house for NY.

Will check these ideas out guys - many thanks.

• Like 1

I worked it out..... 😀

I was sure the camera settings were fine.  And indeed they were.  So I tried the Canon battery - which is itself almost knackered.  It WORKED!!!!  But I wasn't  happy that my new USB powered power adapter wouldn't work.  So I plugged  the adapter into a different USB source, possibly one that could provide more power.  It worked!  The USB port providing the power before is off of a mains power brick so I would have thought that would have supplied ample juice.  But it doesn't....  Power the power adapter off of my main PC and it works a treat.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts it has helped me a lot.  For sure, I know the 1100D menus back to front now!

This is the power adapter I am using for the 1100D.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07C1ZL882/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will now provide a separate USB power point on my battery box for it.

Also, this power pack can also power up the Canon 1100D with Liveview as well.  This is great news.  I can take this camera on holiday now with my Star Adventurer and a Manfrotto BeFree tripod, the whole lot weight about 3kg.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07S829LBX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

13 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

I worked it out..... 😀

I was sure the camera settings were fine.  And indeed they were.  So I tried the Canon battery - which is itself almost knackered.  It WORKED!!!!  But I wasn't  happy that my new USB powered power adapter wouldn't work.  So I plugged  the adapter into a different USB source, possibly one that could provide more power.  It worked!  The USB port providing the power before is off of a mains power brick so I would have thought that would have supplied ample juice.  But it doesn't....  Power the power adapter off of my main PC and it works a treat.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts it has helped me a lot.  For sure, I know the 1100D menus back to front now!

This is the power adapter I am using for the 1100D.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07C1ZL882/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will now provide a separate USB power point on my battery box for it.

Thought you were using the mains battery adapter... Would have helped if you'd said straightaway exactly what you were using!

Glad you got it working ok

Louise

• Like 1

Those usb adapters to run a Canon do need the 2.1A  outputs of a power bank or wall plug as your camera will draw about 800 mA @ 8V and a bit more at startup.

My own USB supply uses two of the 2.1A power outputs from a battery bank together to drive the camera as it has a consumption of about 1.2A 

Alan

2 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

That 'black box' in the middle of the cable is a voltage up-converter, as USB ports will only supply 5 volts, but the Canon's require between 7.8 ~ 8.4 volts to work reliably. That invariably means there will be losses in the converter, especially when the temperature drops.

I use similar 'mock' batteries, but they are fed from adjustable regulators fed from the 12 volt supply....

11 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

I'd like to build a Canon PSU inside my field battery box.  The one below.  Any ideas or circuits for this please?

You just need a buck converter, I used a dummy battery from a cheap mains supply connected to it.

You could fit this bit in your power box, ignore the bit on the right it's a crowbar circuit in the making.

Dave

Canon-supply.png.2217f1a90460b56a9ed8bb06c15f9fcd.png

Edited by Davey-T