Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with the Veil

Rodd

This is the kind of decision that I find exasperating.  The wrong decision at this point can lead to a bunch of wasted time.  I waffle back and forth, and multiple screens does not help, as the versions look better or worse depending on the screen.   Which of these versions is better--the issue is balance and detail.  The difference is one of brightness.  At times the first looks wan to me, and pale--but at times it appears more balanced and detailed.   Perhaps the answer is there is no appreciable difference to most people and the choice will be pretty much even.  Not sure.  All I can say is the over processing devil on my left shoulder says Number 2 and the "leave 5% of the image on the table " angle on my right shoulder says 1.  To whom should I listen?  I tinker and toil to achieve elements of both, but always keep coming back to these 2. I would be grateful for any opinions--Thanks  PS.. please view at full resolution

TOA 130 and STT-8300, about 7.5 hours each of Ha and OIII in 30 min subs

Rodd

Veil-a.thumb.jpg.04c1529082a8ea54d384239543e66116.jpg

Veil-B.thumb.jpg.6a2a4141bcc1f6537f4d581b51883481.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Skipper Billy said:

First one for me. Second has lots of pop but its a bit OTT for me. Maybe somewhere between the two?? Great images BTW.

Thanks Bill--yeah, that is my gut reaction too.  I have tried somewhere in between and find it very challenging to retain all the elements of 1 while increasing the "pop" .  I will give it another go later.

Rodd

1 minute ago, GiorgioF said:

First one. Don't know how to explain but some part has a kind of transparency between the colors that make a veil effect (....and talking about Veil nebula......;) )

That is exactly how I see it too.......I need to knock the forked tongue entity off my right shoulder!....Though I do like the Ha thread above the spine of the nebula--its clearer in #2.  At least it is visible in #1. 

Rodd

I think I'm predictable at these things - numero uno for both screen size and 1:1 (100% zoom) setting.

Second one just says: "I'm trying too hard".

Mind you, I would probably be less critical of second one if I've seen it alone - meaning its also good processing, but I prefer subtlety of first one better.

4 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

I think I'm predictable at these things - numero uno for both screen size and 1:1 (100% zoom) setting.

Second one just says: "I'm trying too hard".

Mind you, I would probably be less critical of second one if I've seen it alone - meaning its also good processing, but I prefer subtlety of first one better.

Thanks Vlad--I agree

7 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Both very good Rodd.. and not too red 😉 ..   but number one..  just....   maybe have a play with the Oiii by increasing the magenta in cyan (PS selective colour) to make it a bit bluer..  

Dave

Thanks Dave--I removed a bit of green (making it a bit bluer--but I don't want it too blue as the natural color I have always believed is more of a cyan than a sapphire blue).  However,  I could remove a bit more green with SCNR green, set to about 15%.  (I use PI).  That is an easy fix--not sure what level of green/blue is correct, to tell the truth. 

Rodd

Edited by Rodd

Both great images Rodd. 

I'm quite prone to a bit of 'pop' myself, but as they are I would choose Image 1 between these two. However, the reason i prefer it is because Image 2 has too dark a sky background, plus it's stars are larger and, in many cases their cores are blown, whereas none are blown in Image 1. Also, the mottling in the sky background is more apparent in Image 2. 

You should separate out the stars using Starnet, then you can process both independently. To my eye, the nebulosity in Image 2 looks so good, that it surely has to be possible to have the best of both worlds - the stars and background of Image 1, with the more vibrant nebulosity of Image 2. I think until that can be seen, Image 1 will always win. 

47 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Both great images Rodd. 

I'm quite prone to a bit of 'pop' myself, but as they are I would choose Image 1 between these two. However, the reason i prefer it is because Image 2 has too dark a sky background, plus it's stars are larger and, in many cases their cores are blown, whereas none are blown in Image 1. Also, the mottling in the sky background is more apparent in Image 2. 

You should separate out the stars using Starnet, then you can process both independently. To my eye, the nebulosity in Image 2 looks so good, that it surely has to be possible to have the best of both worlds - the stars and background of Image 1, with the more vibrant nebulosity of Image 2. I think until that can be seen, Image 1 will always win. 

I agree with everything but the mottling.  If the background is darker the mottling should be less apparent 

17 minutes ago, Rodd said:

I agree with everything but the mottling.  If the background is darker the mottling should be less apparent 

It's because the sky background has some areas that are darker than others, so when the overall sky background is darkened, the darker areas get really dark, and the contrast between the two stands out more. 

Btw, sorry if it sounded like i was being overly critical. That wasn't my intention. The images are already amazing so was just trying to offer some CC  😃

25 minutes ago, Xiga said:

It's because the sky background has some areas that are darker than others, so when the overall sky background is darkened, the darker areas get really dark, and the contrast between the two stands out more. 

Btw, sorry if it sounded like i was being overly critical. That wasn't my intention. The images are already amazing so was just trying to offer some CC  😃

No problem.  That was nothing compared to my self criticism.  I can be ruthless.  I appreciate the feedback

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GraemeH said:

I prefer the first one - the second image has a little bit of a painted look, but I have to qualify that comment by saying that if I could produce something a quarter as good as either version I'd be delighted.

Thanks Graeme.  That is a good way to put it....painted.  

#1, great job on this image. I am guilty of over processing, I wish I had the discipline to stop at your #1 level. 

If it were me, I would end up trying to blend some of the sharper blue From image 2 into image 1, but being that I over process, I’m not recommending that to you.

16 minutes ago, Brian Maurer said:

#1, great job on this image. I am guilty of over processing, I wish I had the discipline to stop at your #1 level. 

If it were me, I would end up trying to blend some of the sharper blue From image 2 into image 1, but being that I over process, I’m not recommending that to you.

Thanks Brian....seeing as this is about the zillionth time I have provcessed teh data, it would be a stretch to say I have had discipline!😃  Hopefully I rmeember the lesson.  I agree about teh blending.  I have not yet tried that with this image.  I guess that will be the final step

Thanks