Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rigel B

lenscap

Looking through my notes, I see that I have been clouded out for the last 3 weeks, & only had two clear nights in the preceding month!

So when the skies cleared on Monday afternoon I couldn't get the 200p out fast enough, especially as it would be my first chance this year to observe in Orion, albeit with a fullish Moon.

Rigel is not a tight double ( 9.4") but  I had read that the brightness difference ( over 6 magnitudes ), makes it difficult in an amateur scope. But inspired by a heads-up from @orion25 which suggests it as a good , but much easier, practice target for those hoping to spot the elusive Sirius B, I decided to have a go.

Having read that high power is best for such contrasting doubles I popped in the recently acquired 4mm TMB planetary, ( x250 ) and there was Rigel B to the SW of the primary,  and so faint beside the fireball that it looked more like a giant planet than a dwarf star. Now that I knew exactly where to look I tried lower powers & could still split the pair with a 10mm generic Plossl ( x100 ).

I spent an hour enjoying some new & some familiar doubles & multiples in the constellation before pointing the scope at Sirius.  The Dog Star was fairly steady, not the usual flashing disco ball, indicating above average seeing. There was some lateral colour, presumably, since I was using a Newt, an atmospheric affect due to the low ( 17 deg ) altitude.  I tried various EP's but no trace of  Sirius B. Still it is a difficult target & I didn't expect to crack it at the first attempt, & Sirius will be climbing slightly higher over the next few weeks.               ( I realised later that one of the diffraction spikes may have been occupying the pup's expected position;  must remember to rotate the tube in the rings next time. )

Great to spend an enjoyable couple of hours under the stars again !

• Like 16

Good report - splitting Rigel is indeed good practice for splitting Sirius as the split between the primary and secondary star is about the same.

I find that I need above 200x to split Sirius. The "Pup" star trails behind the primary star as it drifts across an undrive field of view with that pair. It is somewhat more tricky than Rigel of course. The "Pup" glimmers faintly through the flaring around the primary star.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great report! Glad you had such an enjoyable night of observing. Sirius B will need very good seeing conditions and a good elevation. I hope you get it, my friend. Keep trying!

Reggie

Edited by orion25
edit text
  • Thanks 1

Its still on my list i'm afraid.

Never even had as much as a sniff of it, same goes for E and F trap stars and Neptunes moon Triton.

I think my last attempt was ruined by excess moisture in the atmosphere, and i was seeing some weird looking stars at times.

I  will persevere with it.

• Like 1

Your TEC 140 should be capable of showing you all those targets as My TMB/LZOS 130mm has. For Triton I use very high magnification - 300x - 350x. For E & F Trapezium there seems to be a "goldilocks" magnification - for me that is usually 150x - 200x.

Thanks John. 

I think so far, my efforts have been scuppered not only by poor seeing, but by poor transparency as well.

We've been subjected to a biblical amount of rainfall here in the last 2 - 3 months as we all have, possibly over 

a metre here all told.

I perhaps exaggerate a little, but at the end of the day all that moisture has to go somewhere.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Les Ewan said:

I've been trying to spot Sirius B for decades using everything from six to sixteen inch Newtonians. The problem is here in Central Scotland Sirius only attains 17degs at best,or maybe I'm just a rubbish observer!

Most likely your latitude Les :icon_biggrin:

I am around 350 miles further south than you are I reckon, which helps. Sirius seems to get to around 22-23 degrees here.

• Like 1