NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Raspberry pi 4 and Stellarmate OS

Mikyg

Hey folks, I have a Raspberry pi4 coming tomorrow and have just purchased the Stellarmate OS. I’ve been searching for video tutorials on YouTube for use with the iPad app but i’m having no luck.  Does anyone know what the iPads function is when using the app. Can I use it for viewing images etc? Any help would be appreciated as I have no clue about pi/linux having not used them before. I hope I haven't wasted my money lol

16 minutes ago, Mikyg said:

Hey folks, I have a Raspberry pi4 coming tomorrow and have just purchased the Stellarmate OS. I’ve been searching for video tutorials on YouTube for use with the iPad app but i’m having no luck.  Does anyone know what the iPads function is when using the app. Can I use it for viewing images etc? Any help would be appreciated as I have no clue about pi/linux having not used them before. I hope I haven't wasted my money lol

Hello,

You certainly haven’t wasted your money at all, it’s an excellent all in one solution for image capture, and perfect to control all you kit with no wires from your mount...

The Stellarmate APP can do pretty much everything, you connect wirelessly to the RPI and control it all from the app, image capture, platesolve, focus, align, and more, nothing else is needed.... :)

22 minutes ago, WanderingEye said:

Hello,

You certainly haven’t wasted your money at all, it’s an excellent all in one solution for image capture, and perfect to control all you kit with no wires from your mount...

The Stellarmate APP can do pretty much everything, you connect wirelessly to the RPI and control it all from the app, image capture, platesolve, focus, align, and more, nothing else is needed.... :)

That's good to know thanks, do you happen to know if you can see the images that your taking from within the app? Also do you know of a way i can use the atik infinity program from my ipad to the rpi? Thanks

2 minutes ago, Mikyg said:

That's good to know thanks, do you happen to know if you can see the images that your taking from within the app? Also do you know of a way i can use the atik infinity program from my ipad to the rpi? Thanks

Yes you can see the images being taken.... but Unfortunately that Atik softer is just windows and Ascom, so no way it will work on Linux or RPI at all....

1 hour ago, Mikyg said:

Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1x4aSvnUVtBNafANsD_Iz

I believe this is their first tutorial. I have subscribed to their channel as they have lots of information

Edited by m.tweedy
update
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, WanderingEye said:

Yes you can see the images being taken.... but Unfortunately that Atik softer is just windows and Ascom, so no way it will work on Linux or RPI at all....

Ok no problem, i’m hoping to get the rpi working with skysafari on my iPad if possible. Thank you

You need to download the RD client APP for your IOS. The RD client the remote desktop access to the stellarmate and its the same you would use for Windows. Ive controlled the stellarmate off my Iphone (Not recommended) but the screen is small and hard to access parts of it. The only thing I suggest is to make sure all of your gear has INDI drivers. Stellarmate has a decent polar alignment workaround with the guider tab (similar to a drift alignment) But if you own a polemaster you wont be able to use it through the Stellarmate.

If you do own a polemaster you would need to polar align first in windows or off your ipad (If possible) and then connect to the stellarmate. Also note you MUST use the stellarmate EKOS platform and stellarium. You can upload any software unless its linux based and I tried to setup a virtual Windows terminal but you cant.

Ive done an extensive tutorial of the Stellarmate and how to set it up.

https://www.theastrogazer.com/home/2018/10/17/stellarmate

• Like 1

Alternatively just use Astroberry on a RPI4 using native Raspbian and just Remote Desktop from IOS to control functions - Never tried the inbuilt RD from browser on Ipad but worth a try.

Cons:-

1. 1 step behind latest Indi version sometimes

2. As per Stellarmate does not use Polemaster 

3. Does not have all the bells and whistles of Stellarmate - yet

Pro's

1. Its free.

2. Is using Native Raspberry Pi OS so Raspberry Hardware updates (RPIB4+ LOL) should be supported faster. 

But as "shadowoo2" correctly says do check ALL your kit is supported !!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, shadowoo2 said:

You need to download the RD client APP for your IOS. The RD client the remote desktop access to the stellarmate and its the same you would use for Windows. Ive controlled the stellarmate off my Iphone (Not recommended) but the screen is small and hard to access parts of it. The only thing I suggest is to make sure all of your gear has INDI drivers. Stellarmate has a decent polar alignment workaround with the guider tab (similar to a drift alignment) But if you own a polemaster you wont be able to use it through the Stellarmate.

If you do own a polemaster you would need to polar align first in windows or off your ipad (If possible) and then connect to the stellarmate. Also note you MUST use the stellarmate EKOS platform and stellarium. You can upload any software unless its linux based and I tried to setup a virtual Windows terminal but you cant.

Ive done an extensive tutorial of the Stellarmate and how to set it up.

https://www.theastrogazer.com/home/2018/10/17/stellarmate

I afraid you have got a few things quite wrong here...

Firstly, don’t use RDP use VNC as RDP opens a new session each time you open, secondly the Polemaster works fine through SM I have used one loads of times...and on the SM OS there is polemaster software by QHY anyway now....as of SM version 1.4.5

And you use Ekos with Kstars and not Stellarium, it an all in one package no need for a third party planetarium software... :)

27 minutes ago, WanderingEye said:

And you use Ekos with Kstars and not Stellarium, it an all in one package no need for a third party planetarium software... :)

You cant use anything else with EKOS but Kstars (i.e. No Kstars no Ekos) - they are joined at the hip Siamese twins !

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stash_old said:

You cant use anything else with EKOS but Kstars (i.e. No Kstars no Ekos) - they are joined at the hip Siamese twins !

That was my point, but it was stated by @shadowoo2 to use Stellarium with it, “ note you MUST use the stellarmate EKOS platform and stellarium“, which was odd coming from someone who had apparently released videos on how to use SM.. 🤔🤔

Edited by WanderingEye
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Look left said:

Make sure your iPad can run RDP it needs ISO 13.00 and mine can,t load it up onto my IPad so I cannot or it seems I cannot use this system. 

I have an old iPad Air 1st gen, on IOS 12 and the app works perfectly .. :), but like I said you need VNC and NOT RDP, they are very different....

Edited by WanderingEye

I found with the VNC on my iphone you only had a fixed portion of the desktop without the ability to scroll. With remote desktop I had the ability to move through the entire desktop on the smaller screen.

Edited by shadowoo2

10 hours ago, WanderingEye said:

I afraid you have got a few things quite wrong here...

Firstly, don’t use RDP use VNC as RDP opens a new session each time you open, secondly the Polemaster works fine through SM I have used one loads of times...and on the SM OS there is polemaster software by QHY anyway now....as of SM version 1.4.5

I used remote desktop without issue. Maybe stellarmate had an update since I bought it there was no support for the polemaster with its OEM software. The camaera may connect fine but I wasnt aware you could use the polemaster alignment software

Edited by shadowoo2

9 hours ago, WanderingEye said:

That was my point, but it was stated by @shadowoo2 to use Stellarium with it, “ note you MUST use the stellarmate EKOS platform and stellarium“, which was odd coming from someone who had apparently released videos on how to use SM.. 🤔🤔

Clearly I just meant the planetarium software. If you read the tutorial its all there with pictures in detail. I dont use the stellarmate as I use a Primaluce eagle so I apologize for using the wrong name of the planetarium software

5 hours ago, shadowoo2 said:

I used remote desktop without issue. Maybe stellarmate had an update since I bought it there was no support for the polemaster with its OEM software. The camaera may connect fine but I wasnt aware you could use the polemaster alignment software

There is full support now, for QHY polemaster software, and it comes installed as standard...

also the problem with Remote Desktop as opposed to VNC, is that if you loose connection and then have to re connect, you loose the screen, as it creates a new desktop session each time it’s connected, so you can’t carry on from where you left off...no good for SM, at all really... 😀

• 2 months later...

A question for those of you with RPi-4: What are you using for a field power supply? My battery packs with USB won't go above 2.1A, and RPi-4 needs a minimum of 3A. 12V + buck converter, perhaps (and, if so, can someone recommend a reliable one?)

TIA

1 hour ago, BinocularSky said:

A question for those of you with RPi-4: What are you using for a field power supply? My battery packs with USB won't go above 2.1A, and RPi-4 needs a minimum of 3A. 12V + buck converter, perhaps (and, if so, can someone recommend a reliable one?)

TIA

When I used one it rarely went above 1 amp? I used one of those in line USB volt/amp meters to measure. I powered it from a 12v cigar plug hub with 2 USB sockets and like you say, both rated to 2.1 amps. Worked fine.

2 hours ago, BinocularSky said:

TIA

Hi, I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XSCCLCD/ which I power from a 12v distribution block.  It seems to do the job though I haven't used it much in anger.  This particular brand is no longer available, but there seem to be others that are similar.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, prusling said:

Hi, I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XSCCLCD/ which I power from a 12v distribution block.  It seems to do the job though I haven't used it much in anger.  This particular brand is no longer available, but there seem to be others that are similar.

Thanks, Pete.

15 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

When I used one it rarely went above 1 amp? I used one of those in line USB volt/amp meters to measure. I powered it from a 12v cigar plug hub with 2 USB sockets and like you say, both rated to 2.1 amps. Worked fine.

Thanks!