Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

how do you guide without a laptop?

I recently decided to improve my knowledge of astro photography using my Canon 10d DSLR. I now have a celestron CG5 with motors to both axis and placed the camera on my Astro Tech 102 EP refractor. I took 5 - 30sec exposures at 800 iso of the Pleiades plus 5 dark frames (same exposure) plus 5 short exposures bias frames - 1/4000 sec. The attached photo shows the end product using DSS. Clearly I can see stars down to 12th mag which is a start. However I don't have a laptop so it will be difficult to guide without software. Any recommendations? I have several scopes which I could use in addition to the APO refractor but I assume all guiding must be done manually unless there is a better way?? Advice would be appreciated.

Mark

Don't you need an auto guide port to use those?

Not sure if the CG5 has an auto guide port (might have , I just don't know).

You could guide with an illuminated EP and manually correct - but that's HARD.

Ant

Fit an illuminated reticule to a guide scope, and use your hand controller to keep a guide star inside the small box in the IR. You may have to use a 2x Barlow in the guide scope to increase guiding accuracy. If you are doing 2 minute sub frames. you can do a decent job.

It is a PITA method, but one that was used before all the modern gear arrived on

the scene.

Ron.

Thanks for the advice. I will start with the suggestion from Ant and Ron that I use an illuminated reticule (I have a 12.5mm already) plus a barlow (I have a 2x). I will see if I can guide to produce a 2 minute sub frame although I know I will need a few!!

The Celestron CG5 that I have, although new, does not have an auto guide port so I assume that to improve I might need to upgrade the mount with a goto system which I know is available from Steve at FLO.

Thanks again.

Mark

Your a brave bloke Mark.

I wish you luck, manually guiding is hard and painfull - you'll see what I mean after the first few...

Just make sure that you're in a confortable position before you start.

Ant

Hey,

all of the above cameras needs a PC to power/ focus it apart from the LVI camera. Which looks like a very nice little system, and perhaps the perfect travel guider ?

anyway the idea of manaul guiding is very hard and i bow down to you for trying :notworthy:

i would suggest that you get some sort of pc support because it helps to focus the camera, it helps you alot in many ways.

ally

Thanks for the further advice Guys. I will have a go at manually guiding but if I get frustrated, which sounds like the case, then I will obtain a laptop. I have focussed the Canon DSLR pretty well so far and noted the focus mark position on the refractor. I intend buying a twin mounting bar for the Celestron CG5 mount and use either the WO66 or the Celestron SCT 6" as the guide scope. If I obtain a satisfactory photo I will post the end product - here is hoping I don't fall asleep whilst guiding!!!

Mark

Hey,

all of the above cameras needs a PC to power/ focus it apart from the LVI camera. Which looks like a very nice little system, and perhaps the perfect travel guider ?

anyway the idea of manaul guiding is very hard and i bow down to you for trying :notworthy:

i would suggest that you get some sort of pc support because it helps to focus the camera, it helps you alot in many ways.

ally

ST4/STV doesn't

Ive bought an LVI... its a nice looking package. not had chance to try it yet... 1 week after its arrived LVI have sent out a recall notice :( so its got to go back to Italy before I get chance to use it in Anger. The whole package looks really neat though.

Hey,

ally

ST4/STV doesn't

my bad never noticed ur post :( ,

they don't need a laptop.

You might want to price a second hand laptop with the standard guide cameras to see how it measures up with the price of the STV or the LVI

How much is the LVI?

Archived