Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astroberry new version with RPI 4 support

stash_old

Stash, Trying to get my head around this one, I do not use the web browser method to connect to my rpi. I use vnc client, therefore did not know about the gps app via browser access  does this change anything or not for kstars/indi albeit I have a glonass gps attached and kstars detects it good to go. Is the problem related to the web interface app only I am confused :) Andy btw the web app does detect my gps after a couple of minutes and the map appears with my coordinates it is slow  

Fozzybear - if you use a vnc client,as I do normally, it will not effect you. As you quiet rightly state it(GPS Panels etc) doesn't appear when using a vnc client.

It was just part of my general testing of features of Astroberry 🙂  So nothing to worry about. IMHO i dont see the advantage ,for me, to use the Web Interface but maybe for a first time user then it could be of use - personal taste really. In a nutshell it doesn't effect you.

• Thanks 1

On 27/11/2019 at 21:03, stash_old said:

Hint if map blank but GPS fix found - use "reload frame" - right right on area above GPS Panel Buttons (map etc ) - works for me now I know - thanks Radek

I have been noticing this issue now too...I found right clicking where map should be and clicking “back” also seems to re load it.. 😀👍

2 hours ago, WanderingEye said:

I have been noticing this issue now too...I found right clicking where map should be and clicking “back” also seems to re load it.. 😀👍

Thanks for the info - what browser you are using - does "back" take you back to the "connect" screen If you are in VNC ?

Thanks for the help gathering info!

17 minutes ago, stash_old said:

Thanks for the info - what browser you are using - does "back" take you back to the "connect" screen If you are in VNC ?

Thanks for the help gathering info!

Chrome.. and no, I mean right click on the map, or at least where is should be and right click and select “back” from the menu...bit if you select “reload” that does take you back to the logon screen... 😀👍

The update has been released. So please run regular: sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

From now on GPS Panel and Astro Panel use only GPS readings as source of location. For users that do not have GPS, the system provides Virtual GPS (sudo apt install virtualgps), which can be configured by editing /etc/location.conf file or using Preferences/Geographic Location menu. Virtual GPS provides system-wide location information to each end every system component and application, so it can be used also in KStars, indi-gps and even indi_gpsd or indi_gpsnmea (any anything that uses gpsd service).

If you use GPS don't install virtualgps or disable it after installation (sudo systemctl stop virtualgps.service && sudo systemctl disable virtualgps.service).

The /etc/astropanel.conf file has been abandoned and is not used anymore. The same for binding to Weather Plugin location - it's not used anymore.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RadekK said:

The update has been released. So please run regular: sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

From now on GPS Panel and Astro Panel use only GPS readings as source of location. For users that do not have GPS, the system provides Virtual GPS (sudo apt install virtualgps), which can be configured by editing /etc/location.conf file or using Preferences/Geographic Location menu. Virtual GPS provides system-wide location information to each end every system component and application, so it can be used also in KStars, indi-gps and even indi_gpsd or indi_gpsnmea (any anything that uses gpsd service).

If you use GPS don't install virtualgps or disable it after installation (sudo systemctl stop virtualgps.service && sudo systemctl disable virtualgps.service).

The /etc/astropanel.conf file has been abandoned and is not used anymore. The same for binding to Weather Plugin location - it's not used anymore.

Great that gets rid of "GPS" issues 🙂 and maybe the MAP blank problem. Thanks Radek.

Hint for us users dont do this(update/upgrade) via astroberry vnc it disconnects you (panel server changes and restarts) - you can go back to astroberry home (first screen) and then choose connect. Choosing connect after been "kicked" off never allows you to reconnect - even after the Panel agent has restarted. Not a problem just a FYI

Edited by stash_old
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, WanderingEye said:

Chrome.. and no, I mean right click on the map, or at least where is should be and right click and select “back” from the menu...bit if you select “reload” that does take you back to the logon screen... 😀👍

Thats the opposite of Firefox - back disconnects VNC whereas "reload" doesn't - all good fun.  IE (edge or whatever) does allow that at all I believable !

11 minutes ago, stash_old said:

Hint for us users dont do this(update/upgrade) via astroberry vnc it disconnects you (panel server changes and restarts)

Good point! I recommend doing all the updates via SSH. If you do it over VNC or web interface it will continue the update process and eventually let you reconnect. It just takes a while to restart all the necessary services.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RadekK said:

Good point! I recommend doing all the updates via SSH. If you do it over VNC or web interface it will continue the update process and eventually let you reconnect. It just takes a while to restart all the necessary services.

How about another "Enhancement" to panel - "Do Apt update and upgrade" without going into NOVNC or SSH (lots dont know or want to,about SSH !)

Using a "real" vnc client  (realvncor the like) doesn't get disconnected !

Yeah 😄 gpsd can handle multiple GPS receivers and it does rotate among them, so if you keep both virtual and real connected it will probably be lots of fun. I noticed this on my device as well. There are at least two ways to handle this: (1) uninstall virtualgps (sudo apt remove virtualgps), (2) stop virtualgps and disable the service so it does not start after reboot (sudo systemctl stop virtualgps.service && sudo systemctl disable virtualgps.service). You can enable or start it anytime by running: sudo systemctl enable/start virtualgps.service

There is also runtime control of what GPS device is used by gpsd, very handy: sudo gpsdctl add/remove device (e.g. to connect/disconnect virtualgps in real time you run sudo gpsdctl add/remove /tmp/vgps)

• Like 1

After using this, and being super impressed, and after using other OS for a while, I really don’t think it will be long before certain people ditch Mate, and KDE for their OS, and go with Raspbian...it’s far far better... you really have produced a superb package here, with excellent support...well done Radek... 😀😀👍

Edited by WanderingEye
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RadekK said:

Yeah 😄 gpsd can handle multiple GPS receivers and it does rotate among them, so if you keep both virtual and real connected it will probably be lots of fun. I noticed this on my device as well. There are at least two ways to handle this: (1) uninstall virtualgps (sudo apt remove virtualgps), (2) stop virtualgps and disable the service so it does not start after reboot (sudo systemctl stop virtualgps.service && sudo systemctl disable virtualgps.service). You can enable or start it anytime by running: sudo systemctl enable/start virtualgps.service

There is also runtime control of what GPS device is used by gpsd, very handy: sudo gpsdctl add/remove device (e.g. to connect/disconnect virtualgps in real time you run sudo gpsdctl add/remove /tmp/vgps)

OK I just put the commands in desktop  .sh files that I can execute - getting too old to remember commands - especially when I am trying to do some Astro work on the few clear nights we get. 🙂

Perhaps I will have to learn "Panel" and add them there - LOL - but then I would what a "hook" in Astroberry so it doesn't get lost on updates - LOL

2 hours ago, RadekK said:

I have entered my details in the location file, but not displaying them correctly in the GPS panel...it’s around 100 miles out, and as I have a -1.xxxxx location what is the proper way of putting that in, it’s come up as 0:01:00.0000 in the panel...

Edited by WanderingEye

3 minutes ago, WanderingEye said:

I have entered my details in the location file, but not displaying them correctly in the GPS panel...it’s around 100 miles out, and as I have a -1.xxxxx location what is the proper way of putting that in, it’s come up as 0:01:00.0000 in the panel...

same here if you look at the GPS info tab longitude says 0 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stash_old said:

use Preferences/Geographic Location menu. what does it say

i have minus in mine

Yes correct there, but incorrect in GPS panel.....not sure why, latitude is spot on, but longitude not showing correctly instead of showing  -1.xxxxxx it shows 0.01xxxxxx