SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astroberry new version with RPI 4 support

stash_old

Just now, fozzybear said:

ok rpi4 opens it and astap ok albeit in black and white and upside down

rpi3 same opens and a lot slower

so good to go

I have an rpi3 with it's own image and rpi4 with it's own image so not the same sd card

ok will let you know how i get on!

• Like 1

Ok with hand holding from PC(CCDciel) I was able to compile and install the RAW file decoder for RPI Buster - so now CCDciel is able to load RAW(CR2) files - Thanks Patrick.

To do the same follow the info at the Ccdciel forum it contains the how (need to dicpher a bit) but its 

1. download libpasastro sources from github - tar file need to be extracted to folder under home user (astroberry)

2. Check you have the compiler gcc,g++ , make and libraw-dev installed

3. run 'make' in folder containing extracted sources - may need to change ownership/exec perms - try first

4. cd /home/astroberry/libpasastro/libpasastro-master

5. sudo make install PREFIX=/usr

6. for step 4/5 replace with your pathname as appropriate.

7. test RPI3b+ (worked for me) and RPI4 (hello andy)

So it looks like original CCDciel and ASTAP binaries do not like Raspbian Buster at all.

When releasing Astroberry Server (image) I decided to not recompile & repackage these apps, but added original repositories and installed these apps from them. Exactly what an experienced used would do when not using my image, but rather installing everything on genuine raspbian. Apparently there is some library (libraw?) compability issue. So it will only work if I recompile & repackage CCDciel (possible) and ASTAP (impossible). I will give it a closer look when I have time for this.

15 hours ago, RadekK said:

So it looks like original CCDciel and ASTAP binaries do not like Raspbian Buster at all.

When releasing Astroberry Server (image) I decided to not recompile & repackage these apps, but added original repositories and installed these apps from them. Exactly what an experienced used would do when not using my image, but rather installing everything on genuine raspbian. Apparently there is some library (libraw?) compability issue. So it will only work if I recompile & repackage CCDciel (possible) and ASTAP (impossible). I will give it a closer look when I have time for this.

No its only the RAW files bit that is missing from ASTAP and CCDCIEL - same on all OS - its only that Buster doesn't have a binary for the decoders. It was only these decoder libraries that I recompiled (CCDCIEL ONLY , ASTAP just needed LIBRAW-BIN installing) . Both ASTAP/CCCIEL work great in all other aspects (FITS format). Both just convert RAW to FITS and continue the same processing.  As I understand it anyway 🙂

LIBRAW has issues anyway from what I have read but works fine for me 🙂

For CCDCIEL its just a case of creating the LIBPASASTRO library which I think is just an interface between Pascal and C libraries - maybe wrong about this bit.

Bottom line both work with RAW files

PC has now updated the README at the GITHUB site which now has he new instructions for compiling

Edited by stash_old
Update README at Libpasastro github

8 hours ago, stash_old said:

No its only the RAW files bit that is missing from ASTAP and CCDCIEL - same on all OS - its only that Buster doesn't have a binary for the decoders. It was only these decoder libraries that I recompiled (CCDCIEL ONLY , ASTAP just needed LIBRAW-BIN installing) . Both ASTAP/CCCIEL work great in all other aspects (FITS format). Both just convert RAW to FITS and continue the same processing.  As I understand it anyway 🙂

LIBRAW has issues anyway from what I have read but works fine for me 🙂

For CCDCIEL its just a case of creating the LIBPASASTRO library which I think is just an interface between Pascal and C libraries - maybe wrong about this bit.

Bottom line both work with RAW files

PC has now updated the README at the GITHUB site which now has he new instructions for compiling

works on my rpi4

SIMPLE  =                    T / file does conform to FITS standard            
BITPIX  =                   16 / number of bits per data pixel                 
NAXIS   =                    2 / number of data axes                           
NAXIS1  =                 5208 / length of data axis 1                         
NAXIS2  =                 3476 / length of data axis 2                         
EXTEND  =                    T / FITS dataset may contain extensions           
BZERO   =                32768 / offset data range to that of unsigned short   
BSCALE  =                    1 / default scaling factor                        
CAMERA  = 'Canon EOS 100D'     / Camera model                                  
FOCALLEN=          2.266755581 / Camera focal length                           
F_STOP  =                    0 / Camera F-stop                                 
ISOSPEED=           1090519040 / Camera ISO speed                              
SHUTTER =                   30 / Camera shutter                                
DATE-OBS= '9999-12-31T07:12:55' / Camera timestamp                             
XBAYROFF=                    0 / X offset of Bayer array                       
YBAYROFF=                    0 / Y offset of Bayer array                       
BAYERPAT= 'RGGB'               / CFA Bayer pattern                             
DATE    = '2019-12-06T19:41:46' / Date data written                            
SWCREATE= 'CCDciel Version beta 0.9.65-1920-dd08325' /                         
COMMENT   Converted from camera RAW by libraw                                  
END                                                          

Edited by fozzybear
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, RadekK said:

I don't get it. So how I should address it in Astroberry Server?

Add the missing libraries that enable ASTAP and CCDCIEL to open CR2 (RAW) files .  I presume you add it to you repositories but to be honest i am not sure how.

All I know is that for the above applications to read / convert raw files to FITs they need access to libraries that dont come with Buster/Astroberry - that is to say if you use ASTAP/CCDCIEL they will still work BUT only with FITS files. If you try and open a RAW file you will see the display "missing library decoder ".

The only way I know (and thats not a lot) is to get the lib's from somewhere.

For ASTAP they can use the libdraw-bin(check name above) which on astroberry is just a apt get install. But CCDCIEL has to be compiled on Astroberry and install as per the above instructions.   How you get this ino your distribution I have't a clue - never done a Raspbian repository before.  Perhaps PC and Han can help there.  Do you want me to pose the question or will you as you know what you are talking aboutl

Sorry Radek wish I could be of more help 😞

Hi Radek,

The problem with LibRaw is the API interface change continually, so a program compiled with one version do not work on another system with another version of LibRaw. My interface library with LibRaw is in this case.

For Ubuntu I have setup a PPA at https://launchpad.net/~pch/+archive/ubuntu/ppa-skychart  but this is not compatible with Raspbian, this is why you need to compile this library.

The instruction in the readme must now work without problem, but tell me if you think something need clarification:  https://github.com/pchev/libpasastro/blob/master/README.md

Patrick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Patrick Chevalley said:

The problem with LibRaw is the API interface change continually, so a program compiled with one version do not work on another system with another version of LibRaw.

If the major version number of libraw isn't bumped when this happens, that's quite ugly :(

James

24 minutes ago, WanderingEye said:

Just a heads up if you use one, the QHY polemaster does not work in ekos on Astroberry, not sure why but I have tried everything... AFAIK it works on raspbian in ekos, so am at a loss as to why not on Astroberry...

Sorry never bought one - just used Sharpcap now and then to check I am still aligned - Sharpcar polar alignment  is nice and simple !

CCDCIEL now has Polar Alignment I might have a go at that.

Have you dropped a line on INDI forum for Radek ?

• Like 1

Hi guys, two comments:

1) QHY PoleMaster is an app for Ubuntu Mate, not Raspbian. Astroberry is based on Raspbian. See this post

2) RAW files support for CCDciel and ASTAP - I have just made libpasastro library available for Astroberry. You will probably need to remove the original one before installing new one. Also you need to select which repository should be used for installation (note -t switch below), because libpasastro will be now available both from original Patrick's repo and astroberry repo. I'm not sure how it will work during next update. Please test and report.

sudo apt remove libpasastro
sudo apt install -t buster libpasastro

• Like 3

Radek,

Ran the above commands and ccdciel is now nowhere to be found on my RPI4 Do I need to re-install it?

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  ccdciel libpasastro skychart skychart-data-dso skychart-data-pictures
  skychart-data-stars
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 6 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
After this operation, 877 MB disk space will be freed.

regards

Andy

11 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

Radek,

Ran the above commands and ccdciel is now nowhere to be found on my RPI4 Do I need to re-install it?

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  ccdciel libpasastro skychart skychart-data-dso skychart-data-pictures
  skychart-data-stars
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 6 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
After this operation, 877 MB disk space will be freed.

regards

Andy

yes i would think so as it says its remove ccdciel,cdc 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

Ok works fine on both my rpi3b+ and rpi4 4gb (sometimes I scare myself to death) re installed ccdciel and skychart so repo works

Cheers Radek and Stash👍

its enough to make you start smoking again - NOT LOL

Cant be as bad as "her indoors" going shopping to Paris LOL 🙂

Is it true you are the leader of the strike and you only did it to stop her going back for more - 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stash_old said:

its enough to make you start smoking again - NOT LOL

Cant be as bad as "her indoors" going shopping to Paris LOL 🙂

Is it true you are the leader of the strike and you only did it to stop her going back for more - 🙂

That was me (hold my hands up) No a glass of rose to calm the nerves.....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RadekK said:

It might be the case that simple "sudo apt reinstall -t buster libpasastro" would do the trick without reinstalling ccdciel and the rest.

ok for you  for us mortals the end of the world cheers Radek... we got there in the end

Edited by fozzybear
  • Haha 1