NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR external power supply?

Skipper Billy

I have an external power supply for my Canon D70 - its powered from a 12v battery and powers my camera and the battery powers the dew heater strip all night long - or at least it did !

It gave up the ghost last night (mid aurora !!!)

It is essentially a dummy battery with a transformer.

I cant seem to find the company I got it from - Astromics, Astronomics - something like that - I think it was a one man hobby business.

Anyone know of them or where I can find something similar ??

I asked Andy Ellis at Astronomiser for one some time ago and he reponded: "I've stopped making battery adapters myself due to a parts supply issue and I'm not sure who else makes them or what other options may be available."

Christer, Sweden

If you have the dummy battery and the DC-DC converter is not part of the battery you can use any GOOD DC-DC converter that matches the current requirement (8V 3Amp I beleive !) to bring down 12V to the appropriate voltage.  I used one something like this but  changed over to a large rechargeable battery  which lasts me all night  - 3yrs ago and still going strong (famous last words) !!   Ex-Pro® Canon On-The-Move 7600mAh Rechargeable Battery Power System 

aaa-converter.png

Here are some of the solutions I've tried with my Canon 700d (which perhaps doesn't use quite the same dummy battery):

238.jpg.87f31bccc3fbb4b751757c194a737323.jpg

The  accumulator is intended to charge USB devices and coupled with the cable which bumps the voltage up to camera required levels. Cable ref is:

CA-PS700 USB Power Cable DC Coupler Adapter for Canon LP-E8 LP-E10 LP-E12

Or a simple linear regulator:

239.jpg.92d8447da543ca95f6dc42b64cba00ec.jpg

Thread about this here: 

It is wasteful on power and needs a heat sink but is very cheap to make and if run off a 12 volt mains transformer works OK

There's the buck converter like the one Stash_old shows above which I think I got from Amazon:

240.jpg.a5691424ae97d80b24ea9e9873d4a161.jpg

I did also use a mains adapter but got fed up with having to repair to dodgy connections inside the case and the prickle of low intensity electric shock it produced. Seriously wouldn't recommend this:

0241.jpg.db3e4910f8cdbf68be393e20a980da6e.jpg

Edited by almcl

• 1 year later...

Hi all, 

Came across this thread when looking into power/data setup for my cameras. I have a Canon 70D as my main imagining camera and a ASI120mm Mini guide cam. Im looking to get a powered USB hub to power both cams and transmit all the data with a single cable running to the PC. I was looking at getting the following hub and usb power supply for my DSLR-

Anker 10 Port 60W Data Hub with 7 USB 3.0 Ports and 3 PowerIQ Charging Ports:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VE4UJD4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2PGPJL0BBLHLX&psc=1

DR-E6 DC Coupler Dummy Battery ACK-E6 Dual USB Power Kit AC Adapter:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Q51DZPZ?pf_rd_r=19WETYCDH0ZJKHV44E4C&pf_rd_p=6e878984-68d5-4fd2-b7b3-7bc79d9c8b60&pd_rd_r=544a5108-41f0-4172-96ba-73f05a43c213&pd_rd_w=FvmwT&pd_rd_wg=NLtGx&ref_=pd_gw_unk

I am very clueless when it comes to working out what power amps/volts... ect is needed to make sure everything is powered correctly. I also plan to get a Lynx EQDIR USB adapter cable to plug in from the mount to this hub so i can also control the guiding/goto from my PC. 

This is the first time im trying to set up this rig as a complete astrophotography setup. I have done bits and pieces in the past and just had multiple cables hanging about. Hoping that this power for my DSLR will mean one less thing to have to plug in directly to the mains. 

Thanks,

Matt

5 hours ago, mcro89 said:

Yes exactly what i was thinking. With this dummy battery it says "USB Power Input: 5V, 2A-4A (at Least 2A Current,Up to 4A if needed)" So im guessing this is 2A per usb plugged in. 

I have used a similar adapter for my 80D and it does need both plugs connected i.e. 2.1A +2.1A to function reliably, have tried it with a single plug and it just manages to power up but shuts down if you change the configuration on the camera for example switching in live view...

I took some measurements using one of these 

1341184263_61zwn9dgGL._AC_SL1001_.jpg.9a8d1bcd0a4ecfd620c593aae611686c.jpg

and my camera needs about 1.2 A to be stable, the available current from the inverter which converts 5.2V to 8V for the camera is 2.1 x 0.65 = 1.36 A which is very close to that requirement so two inputs are a must.

Alan