Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Ken Mitchell
For a long time I wanted to shoot this frame, probably from the early days of my astrophotography adventure.
Finally after all these years I managed to get a decent result of the 'stuff' between these two beautiful nebulae. Fairly happy with the image but always looking for improvement.
I hope one day to redo this all with a mono camera and filters.
Apart from NGC1499 , M45 and the Baby Eagle Nebula no idea what else is in the picture. If you happen to have an idea feel free to educate me.
Some info on image and capturing:
Widefield Pleiades to California.
Taken over 2 nights with a total of 11hrs 25min integration.
With a stock Nikon d610 and Nikkor 85mm 1.8 objective.
Tracking was done with the Skywatcher Star Adventurer.
Lights and all calibrations frames were stacked in DSS.
Processing was done in Adobe Photoshop CC using Adobe Raw, GradientXterminator plugin, HLVG plugin, Nik software plugins and Photokemi action set.
Last week on august 5th we were treated to a coronal hole followed by some G1 auroral activity here in New Zealand.
Unfortunately I live a bit too far north to capture the spectacular Auroral images.
However, ever the optimist, I set my canon 6d with a Samyang 14mm lens up in my backyard and captured 300 or so shots (20 seconds at iso 3000) which I then sent through to lightroon timelapse.
I'm quite pleased with the result. Definitely some colour there.
I thought i'd revisit this one, as i was never truly sure abut the processing originally.
So with this one, i sought to improve the stars (they're a big improvement) but also bring out more of the dark nebulosity. Did i go too far though?! Looking at it again today i think i may have. 🤔
Ha: 7 x 480s, 6 x 1200, 13 x 1200 (a little over 7 Hrs)
OIII: 9 x 1200s (3 Hrs)
RGB (with IDAS-D1 filter): 20 x 60s
The usual Flats & Bias, stacked in APP and processed in PS.
Gear used: Nikon D5300 (modded); SW 80ED (522mm FL); HEQ5-Pro; SGPro and PHD2.
The original version can be seen on the Astrobin link.
C&C welcome and clear skies folks!
ps - At the moment this is still at 100%, but i'll probably end up down-sampling it to about 50%. I don't think it can hold up to 100% tbh.
Edit - Here's the new, now much more toned-down, version. It's a clear improvement, so i'll have to keep reminding myself not to try and go for big & bright, when subdued nearly always ends up looking better!
Original, nasty over-bright version:
By Panda Alvin
Attention: The quality of this video here has been reduced due to file size restriction. A slightly better version can be found unlisted on YouTube (308mb).
A series of time-lapse short videos set in different locations within South Hampshre at night. All scenes were taken between a Bortle 4-5 area, and each clip equates to 5-6 hours in real time. Please check your volume as this video contains music.
Equipment / Software:
Tokina AT-X 11mm - 20mm
Adobe Premier Pro
Alexander Blu - Background Music
Note: My first time producing a proper time-lapse video. Unfortunately the amount of noise and hot pixels were much worser than expected when I reached the video editing stage, and I need to learn how to apply darks against individual frames en masse. I am not personally satisfied with the final quality, but still thought I should share with what I have on here.
Please feel free to leave a comment, critique, suggestions and guidance on here, thanks!
I was lucky enough to spend Easter in Mauritius and managed to get a night of imaging in despite the tropical night time clouds! As someone who lives in the Northern hemisphere, the Carina nebula has always been a target I've coveted, but during my holiday, I also loved Crux as prominent constellation in the Southern sky. So when I ran into polar alignment issues with my Skyguider Pro, I decided to play it safe and go for a wider field, capturing both those targets rather than focusing purely on Carina as was my original goal.
This was shot from my father in law's rooftop in Bonne Terre, Vacoas, Mauritius and my basic polar alignment meant significant field rotation, but I still got some usable data. Cropped, processed and finally upsampled.
Data was shot at f/2.8 with a 50mm lens, unguided on an unmodified Sony a6500. 174 lights at 30 secs each = 1.4 hours of integration. Bortle 5.
From the colours it looks like these objects sit right on the disc of the Milky Way and I know there is more in the picture I haven't mentioned!
Thanks for looking!