Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bright flare

Plutoplanet9

Hi Martin, welcome.

That probably was a meteor. They happen a few dozen kilometres up, so they are pretty local. Whereabouts were you when you saw it? I wasn't out, so I saw nothing 🐸.

(The emoticons are letting me down - only the frog is working.)

• Like 1

Howdy and welcome to the forum. As stated earlier, it could of been a meteor. Could also be an iridium flare from a satellite.  Thats around the time that many of the Iridium satellites can catch the Sun's light and brightly reflect it for a second or two .

Rob

12 hours ago, Plutoplanet9 said:

Hi

New to this forum. Did anyone see the bright flare in the sky at about 23.01 in the Ursa Minor region of the sky?

Does anyone know what it was?

Thanks

Martin

Hi and welcome.

Along with the meteor hypothesis, it's also very possible you saw a glint off a satellite.  There is so much stuff orbiting up there now it's difficult to identify what it might have been.

It's also dependent on you location. A meteor will be visible for anyone for whom it's above their horizon. A satellite flare can be much more localised and depends on the precise geometry of the Sun/satellite/observer. 

Hello there, 

I noticed some great shooting stars (am I allowed to say "shooting stars" on this forum or do I have to call them something more technical sounding 😜🤔) in cygnus last night could it be one of those?

I think that some of the astronomy apps have satellite tracking on them maybe its possible to go backwards a night and see what was about? 

Good luck! Hope you figure out what it was!