NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fireball over Devon Anyone see it?

Nigeyboy

Amazing - wish I had seen it. Saw a green fireball at 6am one morning, a few years ago. Very similar to this (please excuse the 'quality' source):

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5282970/wakefield-green-fireball-sky-yorkshire-video-new-years-eve/

You just don't know what to think when you see it - a very surreal experience, especially when it is so silent!

• Like 1

I recall one night while on the north Norfolk coast seeing a bolide. It seemed to be slowish moving with pieces breaking off it as it headed for the horizon. It appeared green and as you say, surreal to see it with no noise! 

1 hour ago, Nigeyboy said:

I recall one night while on the north Norfolk coast seeing a bolide. It seemed to be slowish moving with pieces breaking off it as it headed for the horizon. It appeared green and as you say, surreal to see it with no noise! 

That's the word: bolide... I was trying to remember what the term was! Yes, I also saw pieces breaking off, like molten metal...

• Like 1

Ive asked UKmeterornetwork team to help confirm/validate also - so not validated at the moment

Just made the video, its in top right of capture from about 4 seconds, the direction of travel is roughly SW. Timestamps of frames is 5.51am and lasts about 5 seconds, which seems to align roughly with the video on ukmeteor network.  ive made the video 3 frames per second. 

If it is validated ill start a new thread in imaging widefield with it (hope no issue posting here?)

• Like 2

I'm not doubting that anyone saw a meteor, but the various reports here do make me wonder if it was the same meteor that everyone saw.  Or, (probably far more interestingly) put another way, what characteristics of a meteor must be true such that it can be seen (and perhaps even appear to be relatively close) from places as far apart as Newquay and Sluff.  For example, how high would it have to be?  What direction would it have to be travelling in?  And how fast?

If it seems likely that it was the same meteor, are there any interesting things we can deduce from the records of who saw it where and when?

James

I watch AMSmeteor over here and sometimes a very large meteor is seen by many up and down Florida. 

The bigger, brighter ones lasting longer being the ones seen over a larger area.

But a very good fireball, is something spectacular that sticks in your mind.