SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSLR options for beginner with a 150pds

Thor92

Hello all me again,

Most things sorted now. Just looking around for a DSLR (not buying immediately just want to narrow it down incase I spot a bargain) 

I had read through alot of threads about beginners DSLR astrophotography but they seem to be fairly old so thought I'd start this as my situation seems a tad different aswell.

I have a bridge camera that I've used for years but going to upgrade specifically so I can use it for astrophotography through my 150PDS on a EQ5 mount. With a coma corrector.

I don't want to go crazy to start with so I seem to have narrowed it down to a few models:

Nikon D3300 - Good sized chip.

Cannon 600D 

Cannon 400D

As you can see the budget left over for a DSLR is in the lower end so I'm not expecting a fantastic full frame DSLR for nothing.

I'm leaning towards the D3300 as it seems to have decent reviews and can be had for around £130 2nd hand.

Then I'd just need to think about lenses or just directly mount for now.

Are they decent choices ? Got around £200, obviously looking 2nd had at that price point.

Thanks again for all your help.

J

I have the 400D and can’t fault it. Yeah it’s old and the max ISO is only a noisy 1600 but it can be had second hand for about £50 nowadays! It’s 10.1mp is more than enough resolution.

i should add that there are a ton of lenses to choose from with canon as well. I have. 17-55mm 2.8. Great for landscape photography and my first dabble into wide field AP.

Edited by Nigeyboy
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, I got an EOS 450D with a 50mm kit lens and low shutter count from Camera Jungle and can't fault them. I use just the body with my 150PDS, connecting it to the focuser via a T-ring and nose piece. If you don't want to use the DSLR for conventional photography, you may be able to use the funds you'd otherwise spend on one or more lenses to 'upgrade' your camera choice or to have the camera astro-modded. HTH, Geoff

• Like 1

Thankyou all very much for your replies. I'm finding this forum very responsive which is a great thing. I only hope I can help people out later.

So the popular opinion seems to be go with a cheaper cannon rather than the Nikon.

Even though the Nikon is a larger chip and over double the MP. I understand that a higher MP doesn't always help with astrophotography. It seems to be ISO and chip size aswell as focal length. (Always happy to be corrected)

Looking like its a 450D or the Nikon D3300 - bidding on both at the moment. Still undecided!
Both are cheap and both have there upsides. Cannon have more lenses and are easily modded but the nikon is much newer and has a larger iso range and a much bigger chip.

7 minutes ago, Nigeyboy said:

There is a used modded EOS 600D in the SGL classifieds at the moment. . . . .

Yeah twice what im already bidding at the moment. I'll stick at the cheaper end for now, some amazing results with the 450 and 3300 alike tbh hopefully these will be enough for a beginner :)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thor92 said:

Yeah twice what im already bidding at the moment. I'll stick at the cheaper end for now, some amazing results with the 450 and 3300 alike tbh hopefully these will be enough for a beginner :)

That's a wise choice - I am doing 'Astronomy on a Shoestring'! Its amazing what you can do when money is tight!! I am currently carrying out a little conversion on my EQ3-2 mount and OTA. I am making some tube rotators out of 200mm jubilee clips and some old cable trunking!! Total cost £8!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grimbles said:

Hi

I currently use a modded 500d  with my 150pds example (not the best) below.  I have also used a modded 450d.  In terms of noise the best ISO for the 500D seems to be 1600 but for the 450D it was 800.

I love the way you say not the best. To me that photo is so far beyond what I thought was possible for an amateur astrophotographer.

Incredible picture mate. Absolutely incredible. (then again I am a bit of a space geek haha)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nigeyboy said:

That's a wise choice - I am doing 'Astronomy on a Shoestring'! Its amazing what you can do when money is tight!! I am currently carrying out a little conversion on my EQ3-2 mount and OTA. I am making some tube rotators out of 200mm jubilee clips and some old cable trunking!! Total cost £8!!

Always always fiddle around with stuff. You can make some amazing DIY mods to things.
As an engineer I always like to fiddle. I can see the electronics from another hobby coming in useful already ...... 

I would go for any of the canon cameras due to software support. Not sure if the nikon is supported in ATP but canon's always were supported. I used to use a modded 500d and still have my standard 1100d.

If you can get one with live view it can make life a little easier.

Edited by spillage

Canon for the support and tinker ability.

600d has an articulated screen very useful, 550d and above can use Android app DSLR Controller, extremely useful if don't have a laptop or windows tablet.

Signatures show on some mobile devices of you turn them landscape.

Anything from 400D to 600D is good, getting better as the number gets higher. You can use 400D or lower, but most folks agree the 450D was a big step[ change step towards lower noise & greater sensitivity. The 600D has a fold out screen which is very nice to have.

The 700D has some issues with autofocus pixels causing hard to remove yellow lines in stretched pictures that flats don't deal with.

I have a 450D, a 1000D (which is the 'economy' version of the 400D) and a 10D which is built like a magnesium battleship but is very poor compared to the others.

• Like 1