Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Great Pegasus Cluster

JackCooke

A quick sketch from the 1st September (sorry - date is wrong on the image). 

M15 was still fairly low in the east but the central condensation of stars really stood out, even in a 5.5inch scope. The bright field star intruding on the edge of the image was distracting. If I had a tracking mount I'd have banished it permanently!

A lot of the extended GC was on the threshold of vision and the resolved stars faded in and out. 

M15 will always have a special place for me as it was the first GC i ever saw 😍 

Thanks for looking. 

Jack

GreatPegasus.jpg

• Like 17

That's amazing, Jack. I was out on the same evening observing exactly the same glob with my 4" 😀 Your drawing is very much exactly as I saw it :thumbright: I was wondering what mediums are you using for your sketches? It looks like chalk on black card but I imagine I'm mistaken.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rob Sellent said:

That's amazing, Jack. I was out on the same evening observing exactly the same glob with my 4" 😀 Your drawing is very much exactly as I saw it :thumbright: I was wondering what mediums are you using for your sketches? It looks like chalk on black card but I imagine I'm mistaken.

Hi Rob. I always love the idea that different star gazers are training their telescopes on the same faint objects, miles apart!

The sketch was made with graphite pencils and a blending stump on white paper - then scanned and the colours inverted. I'd like to try positive sketching with chalk pens on black card - I posted a great link on this a while back ('The Mellish Method'):  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1