Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Xilman

NGC_288.png.bf0cdf148dd4eea8baec0c3776da5578.png

NGC 288 is a globular cluster in Sculptor. Note the 15th-magnitude barred spiral galaxy PGC 3068 near the right edge of the image.

Unfitlered 68s exposure with a SX 814 CCD camera on a 0.4m Dilworth.

• Like 3

Very nice. I would not have spotted that galaxy if you hadn't pointed it out. Thank you!

It always sounds so much nmore impressive when you quote your telescope aperture in metres rather than millimetres. I wonder at what aperture you can start doing this without it sounding silly! I have a 0.3 m Newtonian now ...

13 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

Very nice. I would not have spotted that galaxy if you hadn't pointed it out. Thank you!

It always sounds so much nmore impressive when you quote your telescope aperture in metres rather than millimetres. I wonder at what aperture you can start doing this without it sounding silly! I have a 0.3 m Newtonian now ...

Pictures or it didn't happen Mandy! lol.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

Well, https://britastro.org/observations/observation.php?id=20191209_191900_36b00eba365581f4 was liked by a whole bunch of BAA members. That image was taken with a 0.0022m f/1.8 refractor. I seemed to get away with it.

Always worth examining images very carefully in my experience. Interesting things are quite often to be found lurking in them. If you see anything in any of my images which I haven't noted, please inform me because it means I probably missed them.

• Like 1

@Xilman I've finally joined the BAA (I think and hope! Still one last problem with my membership to resolve) and hope to be active on thier as soon as I ditch covid-19.  I had to click your link before 2.2 mm aperture made sense. 😁 I think we have a winner, there ...

9 minutes ago, Xilman said:

Well, https://britastro.org/observations/observation.php?id=20191209_191900_36b00eba365581f4 was liked by a whole bunch of BAA members. That image was taken with a 0.0022m f/1.8 refractor. I seemed to get away with it.

That one was done, of course, for humorous effect though the figures given are entirely accurate.

A 0.2m telescope is entirely a reasonable description. A 0.1m might be pushing your luck. I have seen a 0.15m appearing in a peer-reviewed paper in a professional journal where it was noted that the photometry produced by that observer was of excellent quality. The paper was about the most recent eclipse of ε Aur.

2 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

@Xilman I've finally joined the BAA (I think and hope! Still one last problem with my membership to resolve) and hope to be active on thier as soon as I ditch covid-19.  I had to click your link before 2.2 mm aperture made sense. 😁 I think we have a winner, there ...

Excellent!  If you hit more problems, and it's unlikely, let me know and I will see if I can help resolve them. Looking forward to seeing your contributions.

BTW, whereabouts in Derbyshire are you based? I was brung up in Long Eaton.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martthebass said:

That’s definitely a big beast Mandy…..I seem to be going the other way 🤣

Yes, it is huge! I think I recall meeting that setup when I came to your house a couple of years ago. It really is lovely and deserves a mention in my droolworthy telescopes thread! It looks like it has a serious purpose in life!

This one’s a fairly new addition Mandy, I’ve rested the 90mm and got the Redcat to do some wide field stuff. Pleased with it so far and it’ll have to do as I can’t see me acquiring a 2600MC any time soon 🤣

it would be nice if the clouds would do one, I’ve only managed to get a few CaveAug23.thumb.jpeg.4ceb2cc38dc5d05beef42dfec4ec681b.jpeghours light on it so far.