Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WItch Head Nebula (well some of it)

Allinthehead

This is an image that i planned on making a two pane mosaic and getting heaps more data, but because i sold the Epsilon i thought i would post the results. This was caught while it was a little low in the sky and the background suffers as a result but i'm very happy with detail in the nebula itself. If i get a chance i reckon the addition of Ha could bring this life.

A cloud of interstellar gas that reflects light from Rigel the nearby supergiant. Some sources claim the nebula is actually a supernova remnant. Quoted at 900 light years from earth the Witch Head is blue not only from Rigel but also from the nebulas dust grains reflecting blue light better than other colours.

I like the first orientation as it looks like a fluffy little cloud but i thought i would also post the more common view to avoid people straining their necks trying to view it the 'correct' way up.

These data were captured back in November 2018 using a Takahashi Epsilon 130 and a Zwo Asi 071.

Mounted on an AzEq6. Sequenced in Sgpro. Stacked in APP. Processed in APP, Pixinsight and Photoshop.

4.5 hrs in 150 second subs gain 50 and cooled to -5.

Thanks for looking

Richard.

1152903147_which_headcopy2.thumb.jpg.a6ba3f33d338b5027186b88e53fa191b.jpg

1098526397_which_headcopy2.thumb.jpg.02065fb11660a60ec9cdc1e293abffa7.jpg

Edited by Allinthehead
  • Like 28

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Missed this completely. Stunning image of this target Richard. 

Thanks Adam. How did you stumble across this? Thinking of buying an Epsilon?😁

1 hour ago, newbie alert said:

Stunning..

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Jkulin said:

Yep missed this as well, lovely contrasty detail, that Epsilon really was lovely, was tempted myself but am told it is better with DSLR rather than CCD's

Thanks. Yes it's a great instrument. Works very well with ccd's too. When i eventually get an obsy i'll probably get a 180.

• Like 2

Usually keep an eye out for your images Richard but likewise this one slipped under the radar, lovely image, I've got something similar started last year or maybe the year before 😂

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

5 hours ago, assouptro said:

I really like this! 

It’s on my “to do” list and this is a lovely example! 

Thanks for sharing

Bryan

Thanks Bryan. Glad you like it.

5 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Great target nicely done. Ha for the background is also worth having if you're feeling inspired!

Olly

Thanks Olly. Yes i agree Ha would certainly lift this.

4 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Usually keep an eye out for your images Richard but likewise this one slipped under the radar, lovely image, I've got something similar started last year or maybe the year before 😂

Dave

Thanks Dave. I miss many images too, sometimes the forum is very busy and images slip down quickly. Now that you mention it, it's quite a while since you've posted an image here.

22 hours ago, Rodd said:

Wow--you've managed to make a very faint target stand out brightly.  Well done

Rodd

Thanks Rodd.

22 hours ago, Davey-T said:

It's quite a while since I finished one 😂

Dave

🤣 I look forward to seeing one completed.

9 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

I hated to sell but it needed to be with it's own kind. Is it getting on with the others?

Yes they're all coexisting nicely, only two running ATM still working on getting 3 running 1510375794_default_biggrin1.gif.89c3d53479d88cc3ac3d543fa833ee52.gif

Dave

Excellent, this is a difficult area to process due to the number of Geostationery satelittes in the area.  

Whatever processing software you used, it has done an excellent job of eradicating them.

Carole 

19 minutes ago, carastro said:

Excellent, this is a difficult area to process due to the number of Geostationery satelittes in the area.  

Whatever processing software you used, it has done an excellent job of eradicating them.

Carole 

Thanks Carole. Yes there were satellite trails in every sub but since i had many short subs and with the help of Astro Pixel Processor i didn't have to give them a second thought. The biggest issue for me was how low down in the sky it was when i attempted it.